Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 06:03 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loking at both sides View Post
Great info from everyone.
I noticed when I went to a salon, my scalp didn't itch all the time.
Maybe I'll start buying the more expensive hair dye
expensive doesnt mean better.... Ive checked out some of the every famous makes in cosmetics and they still carry many dodgy chemicals in their makeup that should be taken out. so no guarantees with paying more.. this for instance. https://thebeautifulhealthguide.word...-your-mascara/ its sad as we trust companies to test and put our best interests first .. Im afraid not.. look out for some of these in products if you have the time .. and stop buying from them as its the only way for change.. its our body and our health.. we need to do more to protect this.
https://www.sheknows.com/beauty-and-...auty-products/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 06:07 AM

p-phenylenediamine mixed with believe it or not caustic soda is in hair dyes... think about it.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:34 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
I've been fortunate, and not saying the hair dyes are a good thing, but I never had issues and I colored my hair, mostly via salon, for probably 40 yrs. Now it's a darling shade of grey and dark brown, still has to do it's changing. I have a bottle of Revlon stuff but it just sits there. No interest..did my time.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:06 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
I found a few hair colorings that don't bother me. With the hair salon stuff and the store bought stuff, I would actually get a funny taste in my mouth. That scared me. I don't understand why it worked that way but maybe it was getting absorbed and coming back out.

I found two hair colors online and one turned out to be non smelly and had no ill effects. I asked my beautician what shade she had used and bought the same shade online. It works, I have to do it myself, but it doesn't smell and it lasts a long time.

This is a pretty good article that tells of the danger of hair dyes. I use one of the "less toxic." The more toxic dyes have terrible ingredients and can probably cause hormone disruption and cancer. I've read before that there are carcinogenic ingredients.

https://www.nontoxicforhealth.com/no...-hair-dye.html

Hairdressers, who are regularly exposed to the chemicals in hair dyes, are often studied to identify the health effects of hair dye exposure. They have been found to have a higher risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma, bladder cancer and other types of cancers.

I'd suggest doing some more reading because the hair dyes are toxic and are absorbed through your skin.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,441 times
Hi !

Since last summer 2018...I have stopped using hair dyes,due to allergies and bad itching flaky scalp or redness eye lids.

Now...I developed allergies reactions,to chemicals in shampoos and I have a hard time,finding the right shampoo,to stop my reactions.Nothing seems to be working and I am not sure,baby shampoos would help me.I even,used some baking soda or used some tips on the internet,to help stop the reaction, cut some thickness,to my hair...to advoid to be too hot and itchy.

My reactions with my dry flaky and itchy scalp.I sneeze,I cough,it’s itchy everywhere,my face,my nose ( sometimes,it feels my nose is thick or red),my ears,I feel patches of burning sensation,all over my body,hands etc...in my eyes,throat,lips,eyes,face,ears.

Some people says...allergies last for few weeks...well,the truth,the matter,mine still last,until this day and right now,it’s mild reactions.
Just can’t wait,to feel better...no more problems,of finding the right shampoo and a cure,for my illness.
I need to see a doctor...hoping,my health,is not at risk or not too late and sometimes,I am dealing with anxieties,taking meds also,for my gland thyroid.

Last edited by StephAngie D Cote; 02-15-2019 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: forgot some lines and corrections

Old 02-16-2019, 07:30 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephAngie D Cote View Post
Hi !

Since last summer 2018...I have stopped using hair dyes,due to allergies and bad itching flaky scalp or redness eye lids.

Now...I developed allergies reactions,to chemicals in shampoos and I have a hard time,finding the right shampoo,to stop my reactions.Nothing seems to be working and I am not sure,baby shampoos would help me.I even,used some baking soda or used some tips on the internet,to help stop the reaction, cut some thickness,to my hair...to advoid to be too hot and itchy.

My reactions with my dry flaky and itchy scalp.I sneeze,I cough,it’s itchy everywhere,my face,my nose ( sometimes,it feels my nose is thick or red),my ears,I feel patches of burning sensation,all over my body,hands etc...in my eyes,throat,lips,eyes,face,ears.

Some people says...allergies last for few weeks...well,the truth,the matter,mine still last,until this day and right now,it’s mild reactions.
Just can’t wait,to feel better...no more problems,of finding the right shampoo and a cure,for my illness.
I need to see a doctor...hoping,my health,is not at risk or not too late and sometimes,I am dealing with anxieties,taking meds also,for my gland thyroid.
Try switching to an all organic shampoo bar. That is what I I did. Nearly ALL shampoos have things in them that will irritate scalp/skin and overstrip natural oils. You can also just water wash sometimes. DO NOT use that baking soda!!! The internet is full of crazy advice like that!!!

Old 02-17-2019, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Try switching to an all organic shampoo bar. That is what I I did. Nearly ALL shampoos have things in them that will irritate scalp/skin and overstrip natural oils. You can also just water wash sometimes. DO NOT use that baking soda!!! The internet is full of crazy advice like that!!!
Thank you...so,much for your help 🙏😇🦋👼

Old 02-17-2019, 04:14 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,417,117 times
I never used a lot of beauty products, but when I got a terrible allergy 6 years ago, I stopped them all. No deodorant (just take a shower every day, that works fine). No shampoo -- I actually stopped that many years ago when I realized I'm allergic to it. No makeup -- well I never did. And most importantly NO HAIR DYE.

I never dyed my hair, because I don't like unnatural looking hair. It looks stiff and unreal. And you can ALWAYS see the roots! But more importantly, it's toxic and can cause allergies or cancer.

Notice that the same women who get cancer checkups because they are concerned about cancer, will not think twice about using hair dye. Why? They assume it's safe because it's on the shelf at the drug store?

Natural IS better. Really.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephAngie D Cote View Post
Hi !

I only use Avalon rosemary shampoo free of parabens sulphates etc........Ive heard Jason is also good .. you wont have any bother with Avalon. as if I can use it with severe MCS then Im sure you can. good luck....youve had a bad reaction to this shampoo lets just hope thats all ....get in touch if you need more help..

Old 03-29-2021, 07:09 PM

474 posts, read 1,259,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower9013 View Post
A little late but I figured for people that look this up in the future I would share my experience. I dyed my hair all the time and after I had children I suddenly developed an allergy. Ears would blister &ooze. Back and neck would be covered with painful blisters and my scalp was horribly red and itchy. Had to go to the doctor and get meds everytime I tried and failed to find what worked. I switched from box dye to the dye you buy at Sally's after doing some research on ppd(more professional grade) the brand was Ion and they have a ppd free, sensitive scalp line. I still had a reaction just not as bad. I now still use the ion ppd free dye but take 50 mg of benadryl right BEFORE I dye my hair and cover my hairline and ears with coconut oil for protection, immediately wiping off all dye around areas when I'm finished. No more horrible reaction!
I had been coloring my hair (the last several years going to a salon), same brand, same color etc. Last time as soon as the colorist started on my roots in the back, my neck in that area turned bright red. None of the product had touched it and my scalp was fine. We waited a bit and she proceeded with the coloring but very carefully, checking my scalp as she went along. My left ear turned bright red. I didn't feel a thing and wouldn't have known anything was wrong. She finished up the coloring, cutting the time by five minutes. A few hours later the redness was entirely gone.

Fast forward to today and I was very nervous about what could happen. Again, as soon as she touched my scalp with the brush my neck turned bright red, but this time it covered a larger area. We concluded that I had developed an allergy after 40 years without a problem. I am heartbroken because the blond looks so good on me, besides covering up the greys. I don't have very much in my life that gives me joy but my golden locks make me so happy. The colorist said I probably would not be able to get my hair colored again as these reactions tend to get worse very quickly. I have looked up stories about women who did manage to find a product that did not bring out the atophic dermatitus and were able to color again.

The reason I'm writing is that it had occurred to me that if I took Benedryl before the coloring perhaps it would help. The reason I didn't is that I did want to know if indeed a reaction would develop again. Then I read your post about taking Benedryl and was so happy to know that it works for you.

I am going to see a dermatologist to determine what ingredient is setting off my reaction and go from there. But I'm so glad you shared your story because it might be a bit of hope for me. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies