Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 07:15 PM

745 posts, read 1,324,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
I'm 54, have exercised most of my life and watched what I ate. My blood pressure was on the high side. So I went vegetarian the past year, still exercising 5 days/week. Blood pressure is still high, no change.
A healthy diet is the only way to have a completely healthy blood pressure.
What are the foods that you eat, and what do you drink?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 07:45 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,700,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post
That is so not true that diet is the only way to have completely healthy blood pressure for many people. Many people are pre-disposed to having HBP (hereditary) so diet may not be the only solution to regulating their BP. And other things can come into play for different people as well such as sedentary life styles, very high stress filled lives and even inconsistent or inefficient sleep. And medication for some is the only way to regulate (aka lower) their BP.

So, diet alone will not always work for many because there is no one-size-fits-all to regulate BP for everyone.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:36 PM

807 posts, read 1,032,725 times
Quote:
Since I was in my early 20's, I've always tried to eat healthy. Rarely did I ever eat fast food, tried to stick with leans meats, and only drank water, perhaps a glass of wine at dinner. I gave up soda and even fruit juices as least 10 years ago.

For the past year, I gave up meat all together. The only "bad" think I still eat is cheese, but not much and only on occasion. I have also been exercising my entire life, cardio and weight lifting. I am currently 20lbs overweight probably because I just eat too much, even though I eat healthy. I think the biggest contribution to my calories each day come from nuts and avocados. And bread, whole wheat, but still a lot of calories, and sodium.

As just mentioned, I think sleep is important for heart health. And here is somewhere where I fail. I rarely sleep for more than 3 hours straight without waking up. My wife says I have sleep apnea, and I'm guessing that's why I wake up often. Plus, I'm a light sleeper. And not a morning person, yet have to get up at 5:45 each day for work. I also teach high school chemistry, so dealing with teens each day is not the most stress-free job.

My goal is to drop that 20lbs, hopefully that will help me sleep better. I'm also going to try CoQ10. They say it can help people with high blood pressure naturally.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:16 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
Quote:
That's entirely wrong.

Its amazing the $%^& people make up and type out.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:22 PM

745 posts, read 1,324,285 times
Default random ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
The only "bad" think I still eat is cheese
I am currently 20lbs overweight probably because I just eat too much
the biggest contribution to my calories each day come from nuts and avocados.
And bread, whole wheat, but still a lot of calories, and sodium.

I rarely sleep for more than 3 hours straight without waking up.
My wife says I have sleep apnea, and I'm guessing that's why I wake up often.

My goal is to drop that 20lbs, hopefully that will help me sleep better.
Here's what I do.
1) evaluate carefully and think for myself;
2) don't listen to fake news, especially that doesn't make any sense;
3) eat 80 to 90% of calories from mostly complex carbohydrates and fruit;
4) up to 10-15% of total calories from protein, and less than 10% of total from fat;
5) drink plenty of fresh clean water, up to one gallon a day, depending on metabolic rate;

Things to avoid:
6) don't make excuses;
7) avoid negative, lazy people;
8) no caffeine !!!! very important;
9) no trans fats, no saturated fats, no oils, no nuts, no high fat foods;
10) no high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), and beware it's many fake names;
11) no "sugar" ~ especially not as it might be HFCS;

Weight loss
12) make a reasonable goal for daily calories;
13) type goals, with reasons, post on computer and wall;
14) weigh first thing each morning, record weight on perpetual chart;
15) highlight the days in green that are below the previous week median (bold);

Breathing
16) many breathing problems are caused by food allergies;
17) for example many people are allergic to wheat, therefore bread;
18) many grains can cause food allergies; I have stopped eating rice for this reason;
19) blending valerian root with water, straining and drinking can help to clear the airways.

Evaluate what you're doing, see what works best for you and what doesn't.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:00 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,316,671 times
I'd read that many find celery helped lower/stabilize their BP. I gave it a try and it worked for me. Daily celery juice (abt 6 stalks) first thing in the morning. When I was particularly busy I supplemented with celery root tabs. Took about 2 weeks. My brother has been on celery juice about 3 weeks now and his is lowering consistently. He's a health nut with an (as of yet) unknown etiology for his elevated BP.

Worth a try if you don't want to take BP meds.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:53 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
I'd read that many find celery helped lower/stabilize their BP. I gave it a try and it worked for me. Daily celery juice (abt 6 stalks) first thing in the morning. When I was particularly busy I supplemented with celery root tabs. Took about 2 weeks. My brother has been on celery juice about 3 weeks now and his is lowering consistently. He's a health nut with an (as of yet) unknown etiology for his elevated BP.

Worth a try if you don't want to take BP meds.
I kinda dread the BP meds but to keep juicing celery is more than I want to do. At this point getting off the meds would take some doing and I guess I've gotten lazy too. I know celery is recommended for BP reduction. I didn't know about the celery when I was working to NOT get on the meds...worked with a lot of Hawthorn berry and that was not doing it.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:04 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,316,671 times
If my brother stalls at all I plan on adding Hawthorn Berry and Beet Root juice to his regime. It took me a while to get him on the celery juice, but now he's hooked; mostly because I'm the one juicing the celery for him 2-3x a week, lol.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:24 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
If my brother stalls at all I plan on adding Hawthorn Berry and Beet Root juice to his regime. It took me a while to get him on the celery juice, but now he's hooked; mostly because I'm the one juicing the celery for him 2-3x a week, lol.
Well, your brother needs you to do that for him all the time...so don't move.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:56 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I kinda dread the BP meds but to keep juicing celery is more than I want to do.
You can buy celery pills/powder... but if you are going to eat pills, might as well stick to the real medical pills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine