Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 09:04 AM

2,178 posts, read 2,315,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That's for sure! And not just blood pressure. I just discovered recently that a great big belly laugh (the kind where you laugh so hard your sides hurt) was able to terminate/short circuit an episode of supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) I was going through. That's so much better than ending up in the ER with an adenosine IV to stop the stupid thing.
Wow, that is amazing! Good for you! Laughter is the best medicine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 09:14 AM

2,178 posts, read 2,315,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I note that other posts here mention lack of sleep as a reason for higher blood pressure. Has anyone else tried working on solving their sleep problems to help solve the high blood pressure issue? I'm thinking of things like taking melatonin supplements, using special pillows, and the like.

I just hate the idea of wearing a CPAP mask at night. But if it solves my sleep problems and lowers my blood pressure I guess it would be worth it.
At the time, my doctor mentioned that my BP was possibly elevated bc of my H/O insomnia. I've had wacky sleep habits from toddlerhood onward. I don't know about tips for getting better sleep in menopause (not yet ), but there has to be something out there that can help. I would get the CPAP mask while you're researching and experimenting. I don't have any experience with that either, but I sleep better with white noise, so maybe it won't be so bad.

Good Luck - insomnia is the absolute pits!

Old 04-09-2018, 10:10 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
LLCNYC: I was addressing a question, but don't see it now..

Because I listened to MD's...when I was told I'd better get on BP meds as what I was doing was good enough for the MD's I went ahead with the meds I take. On the thyroid med (Armour/NT) after 10 yrs of a horrid depression, the thyroid med FINALLY got me in a good place.

After surgeries (2) pain meds were needed so I took them. After the staph infection in 2017 abx IV's were needed so I was hooked up for 2 months on abx drugs.

I take ibuprofen daily and would LOVE not for the arthritic pain. And it's true I'd rather NOT take pharma drugs if I didn't need some. I do believe they are toxic and MOST all leave us with side effects....the opioids I was given for the staph infection...when I think of what my body and mind were going thru....good god.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
Yeah, true, I get that. I think our cousin's case is an anomaly. He literally has always had high blood pressure. If he continues along his current trajectory, he will most likely die well into his 90s with no known complications from his high BP.
When you really think about it all the billions on this earth -- are they all taking BP meds? Many don't even know if their BP is elevated and possible that many do have elevated BP and continue on with their lives.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:52 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
When you really think about it all the billions on this earth -- are they all taking BP meds? Many don't even know if their BP is elevated and possible that many do have elevated BP and continue on with their lives.

Yes, there is a reason HBP is called the silent killer. There are not a lot of symptoms, until you have a stroke or something.

You could say the same about cancer.

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be treated.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-09-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes, there is a reason HBP is called the silent killer. There are not a lot of symptoms, until you have a stroke or something.

You could say the same about cancer.

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be treated.
I'm just saying billions on this earth probably have HBP and not on meds...and on the cancer, our bodies do have cancer cells and for me, I don't go looking for them. So far I'm good.

I do take BP meds....

Old 04-13-2018, 01:07 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
After menopause, my sleep patterns changed. I can barely manage to sleep 3 hrs at a time now. In the same period, I have developed high blood pressure. Last week I went to a new doctor because my prescription for blood pressure medication needed to be renewed. She recommended that I get tested for sleep apnea and possibly begin using a CPAP machine for apnea, which should help to lower my blood pressure.

I note that other posts here mention lack of sleep as a reason for higher blood pressure. Has anyone else tried working on solving their sleep problems to help solve the high blood pressure issue? I'm thinking of things like taking melatonin supplements, using special pillows, and the like.

I just hate the idea of wearing a CPAP mask at night. But if it solves my sleep problems and lowers my blood pressure I guess it would be worth it.
You raise an interesting question -- kind of like which came first -- the chicken or the egg.

Does chronic insomnia CAUSE high blood pressure? And do some blood pressure meds cause insomnia.

I, too, have had sleep issues of insomnia post-menopause that seem to be made worse by my meds. One of the meds I'm on (Norvasc) has a side effect of causing a rapid heart beat. Hard to fall asleep when your heart's racing.

Other blood pressure meds, such as Lisnopril, also list insomnia, rapid heart beats as side effects.

The one beta blocker I tried was intolerable as it made me pour sweat whenever I went outside in warm weather--like a fire hose. I was disappointed as beta blockers are known to lower the heart rate....

These blood pressure meds with their many side effects-- feels like I can't win for losing. How about you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine