Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 06:16 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Much like Slovakia and the Czech Republic allowed for a period of open cross migration, I do think something similar would happen in the US. There are some extreme conservatives living in places like Washington, Oregon, and even Mendacino county and San Francisco (don't ask my why they're there) Let them move to the South, the Plains, or Texas and those whom are Cascadian, New Englanders or Californians at heart can move there.
Maybe if that happens it will give me a chance to leave, if a break up ever happened.

However, this is the way I look at it. In order for there to be a total split up, EVERYONE has to be on board for that to happen. When the Soviet Union broke up, it worked along ethnic lines. Latvia, Estonia, and Lithuania were once their own nations before the Soviet Union swallowed them up. It was a similar scenario with other places. When the split-up happened, everyone(or their representatives) was on board for it, even if the officials in Moscow were against it. This is the difference. Alot of these places were once nations that were swallowed up by the Soviet Union. The seeds of dissent were everywhere. With the USA, it isn't much like that. There is a possibility, but it would take alot for this to happen. The closest secession I could think of would be the South, and there would be alot of people to fight against it too.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:03 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,976,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Maybe if that happens it will give me a chance to leave, if a break up ever happened.

However, this is the way I look at it. In order for there to be a total split up, EVERYONE has to be on board for that to happen. When the Soviet Union broke up, it worked along ethnic lines. Latvia, Estonia, and Lithuania were once their own nations before the Soviet Union swallowed them up. It was a similar scenario with other places. When the split-up happened, everyone(or their representatives) was on board for it, even if the officials in Moscow were against it. This is the difference. Alot of these places were once nations that were swallowed up by the Soviet Union. The seeds of dissent were everywhere. With the USA, it isn't much like that. There is a possibility, but it would take alot for this to happen. The closest secession I could think of would be the South, and there would be alot of people to fight against it too.

First, the Divorce will most likely happen for one reason above all others: we will have no choice. What if the national debt swallows the federal government? It's happened to countries before and America is headed that way. What then? That is the final questi//www.city-data.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=25907557on to all the pro-Empire people: If 8.3% unemployment is making us go at each other's throats, what the hell is going to happen when we hit 20% unemployment and Social Security runs out and the government is officially in insolvency?

The thing that made the USSR finally turn off the lights (despite Soviet Patriotism that rivals some of the pro-Empire sentiment by some of these posters) was that the USSR was broke and broken. The nations of the USSR looked at each other and decided to do their own thing. America is also made up of nations as many have observed: The Nine Nations of North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, Cascadia already has a distinct history: we were founded by pioneers in the mostly post-Civil War period, as opposed to the Colonial East and the plantation/feudal South or Mexican California. Our culture is distinct, our politics are distinct, etc. We are the most secular part of the Empire: Unchurched Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia his is in strike contrast to the South. We are different from the rest of the Empire and people here know it.

When the Empire finally falls (they always do) we will be able to look at ourselves and understand we are a nation, as will New England, the South, Texas, California and Hawaii and Puerto Rico.

People laugh and call us crazy, but again, less people call us crazy then they did ten years ago...at recent sporting events, what flag do people wave around here like crazy?

Much like Zionism started with humble roots, slowly caught on and then, finally after the crisis of WWII took off and won it's goal, Cascadia and other American secession movements are slowly catching on and in a few decades when a crisis really hits the Empire, we will see our flags fly....and why am I the only one talking about real history instead of a bunch of "no sir! it's USA all the way!" crap?

Old 09-01-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Bullsh*t, I am currently residing in Louisiana and I have found nothing like what you describe here. Your crazy relatives and or a few crazy online posters do not represent all or even a majority of all 72,945,159 people residing in the Southern US (many of whom support such things as legalizing marijuana, gay marriage, voted for Obama, etc).
You are absolutely right. No one the South ever waves or carries a Confederate flag anywhere.

Also, plenty of people in Germany speak English, listen to hip-hop, want more laizze fair economics and easier gun rights...does that mean Germany is the USA? You will find exceptions to every rule but in the end, Cascadia and the South are night and day. The only things we have in common are a common origin in a post British Colonial nation (same thing we have in common with Barbados, Canada, Belize etc so it aint saying much) and that we are forced to share a central government (just like Estonia and Armenia once did)

Quote:
Not when you have many people who have family residing in those regions and want to travel back to those regions without being forced to go through immigration and customs and/or apply for visas.
You're right: we will all give up our freedom because we don't want to fill out a form for a passport.

Quote:
Seriously I wonder what drugs some of you guys are taking, because it must be some really good stuff.
Same stuff these guys smoked:

Scottish independence referendum, 2014 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-01-2012, 08:56 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
It shows that people want to move to where they are more likely to fit in.
Have ever hard of the sunbelt? have you ever heard of the reverse great migration? Their's a popularity contest of cities, usally cities thought for best vacation turn out the top cities that people fantasize about living but it's not reality, Reality is most people are moving to the south & southwest and truth is this is why conservatives from the south and southwest are in a state of panic. Because the south and the southwest there's large groups of liberial, blacks, latinos and Asians moving to the south.
Quote:
Other countries either A) make room for regional differences (like allowing Scotland to have its own parliament) or B) have active secession movements of their own.
There we go again scottish is also an ethnic group that claim that area for centuries, There's nothing like that in the US. Southern is not a ethnic group, it's a place made of different ethnic groups the majority which only been there less than 2 centuries.

Quote:
I used to live in Jersey and moved to Washington. Like I said, cross migration. A similar thing happened when Pakistan and India broke up. People move to where they feel at home, and already do this.
Your actually proving my point not your, I was born in Chicago, and grew up back and forth between Dallas and Atlanta, and I'm liberial. what's your point.

Quote:
I have family there and have seen it first hand. The culture, dialect, food, etc is completely different than in Cascadia.
It's minor to be compared as different counties, again your exaggerating.

Quote:
Exactly, the "country" as a whole should go and the Nations should go their separate ways. Debt will help destroy the Empire and allow us all to go our separate ways.
Separating isn't going to fix the debt problem. And if debt hurt the US as hold it will hurt every region, breaking off would actually hurt that region more. Because now it's own separate hurt region. pointless.

Quote:
It doesn't matter if they aren't native. Cyprus has non-native Greeks and Turks fighting all the time.
Again your comparing nations and ethnic group that have separate identities for centuries, there's nothing like that in the US. Lets say Cherokee made 90% of the southeast, and Comanche made 90% of the Texas pop in 2012. They would dominated a region for centuries long before they became part of the country. But the county today is not like this The south in general is made of a mix of backgrounds of which just came than 2 centuries ago.

Quote:
They are dialects.

Not nearly as different as Alabama and Oregon, Texas and Vermont.
Compared to France, Chile, Nigeria and Japan... Alabama, Oregon, Texas and Vermont are culturally the same country. Your not get it.

Dialect differences as in we say stuff like "yall", and some folks say 'soda pop" Wow big difference! ) For the most part we speak the same especially in most urban areas across the country.
Quote:

Again, Cyprus is full of non-natives. One of the reasons Singapore split off from Malaysia is because it was full of Chinese immigrants (and Malaysia also has a diverse population) We are different: nowhere near as many White Anglo Saxon Protestants here as in New England, and nowhere near as many Scandinavians in Georgia as in Washington. Hence, different ancestries, different ways of life.
Again with the overgeneralizing you name places that are diverse but you simple it down to this region has more blank people. 1) Scandinavia is broad in self, Scandinavia is not a county. 2) Washington is not 90% Scandinavian you still missing the point. 3) So because Washington has a high Scandinavia pop it's going tell the rest of Washington what to do.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:56 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,303 times
Quote:
Much like Slovakia and the Czech Republic allowed for a period of open cross migration, I do think something similar would happen in the US. There are some extreme conservatives living in places like Washington, Oregon, and even Mendacino county and San Francisco (don't ask my why they're there) Let them move to the South, the Plains, or Texas and those whom are Cascadian, New Englanders or Californians at heart can move there.
I just have one question......ARE YOU SMOKING CRACK?

Last edited by noihoforus; 09-01-2012 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-01-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Have ever hard of the sunbelt? have you ever heard of the reverse great migration? Their's a popularity contest of cities, usally cities thought for best vacation turn out the top cities that people fantasize about living but it's not reality, Reality is most people are moving to the south & southwest and truth is this is why conservatives from the south and southwest are in a state of panic. Because the south and the southwest there's large groups of liberial, blacks, latinos and Asians moving to the south.

No, people are moving their only to work and would rather not go there. Trust me, no place has conservatives panicking like the few that were in Oregon and Washington before it turned dark blue. Most of the hardcore conservatives of the bible-thumper variety would rather leave. People are going to where their politics and way of life are welcome...where is a gay couple more likely to go, Atlanta or Washington State? Which state is more likely to welcome them? (which legalized gay marriage and which has a constitutionally statewide ban on all gay unions?)

And again, there are english speaking fiscal conservatives who love Sean Hannity in Germany, does that mean anything? They are a minority, just as liberals are a minority in the South.

Quote:
There we go again scottish is also an ethnic group that claim that area for centuries, There's nothing like that in the US. Southern is not a ethnic group, it's a place made of different ethnic groups the majority which only been there less than 2 centuries.
Ethnic groups are arbitrarily drawn up. The Scottish and the English have just as much in common, if not more, than the southerners and the Cascadians.

Quote:
Your actually proving my point not your, I was born in Chicago, and grew up back and forth between Dallas and Atlanta, and I'm liberial. what's your point.
I moved for the same reason (amongst others) more and more people are: ideology. You cannot sit there and tell me a left-of-center progressive secularists will fit in just as well in Texas as he will in Northern California.

Quote:
Separating isn't going to fix the debt problem. And if debt hurt the US as hold it will hurt every region, breaking off would actually hurt that region more. Because now it's own separate hurt region. pointless.
So you really think that if and when Cascadia gets its independence we will rack up just as much debt sending troops to fight everywhere and fighting a pointless war on drugs? Just as Estonia flourished without the big blood sucking USSR, Cascadia will flourish without having a bunch of congressmen and senators from the South holding us back...we actually believe that we need to plan for tomorrow, as opposed to them who think planning is evil because JEEEEZZZZUSSSS is coming back next weekend.

Quote:
Again your comparing nations and ethnic group that have separate identities for centuries, there's nothing like that in the US. Lets say Cherokee made 90% of the southeast, and Comanche made 90% of the Texas pop in 2012. They would dominated a region for centuries long before they became part of the country. But the county today is not like this The south in general is made of a mix of backgrounds of which just came than 2 centuries ago.
None of that matters. 90% is meaningless. Again, Singapore is a lot less than 90% Chinese and yet they recognized that because they have a different culture and history they should be separate from Malaysia. There is so much intermarriage between the Scottish and the English that they can barely be called different ethnic groups. Also, the Canadians and Americans are the same by your definition...so we should all be one big country?

Ethnicity is meaningless. It is culture and way of life that determines nations...there is a reason black Americans are different from blacks in the Caribbean and Africa, despite being the same ethnicity.

Quote:
Compared to France, Chile, Nigeria and Japan... Alabama, Oregon, Texas and Vermont are culturally the same country. Your not get it.
So, there is just as high a proportion of born again Christian fundies in Vermont as there are in Alabama? Weed culture is just as big in Utah as it is in Northern California? Race relations are the same in Georgia as they are in Hawaii? The language of Iowa is the same as Puerto Rico?

Quote:
Again with the overgeneralizing you name places that are diverse but you simple it down to this region has more blank people. 1) Scandinavia is broad in self, Scandinavia is not a county. 2) Washington is not 90% Scandinavian you still missing the point. 3) So because Washington has a high Scandinavia pop it's going tell the rest of Washington what to do.
90% is not a magic number. We in the Northwest are different, just as different as Canadians are from New Englanders. We are all different peoples with different ideas and should be allowed to follow our own destinies.

At the end of the day, America sucks. The world hates us, we are going to hell in and hand basket and it's a big mess not worth saving. Sooner or later this Empire will crumble as all empires do, and that will be a good day for everyone.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:40 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times
I get a kick out of southern posters on here claiming that the South is slowly changing or is less conservative than we think. Total bull. Now their new big thing is "personhood" amendments to their state constitutions. I'm sorry but it just seems like a hopeless region that does nothing but hold back the entire country. They stick religion into every aspect of life.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:51 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I get a kick out of southern posters on here claiming that the South is slowly changing or is less conservative than we think. Total bull. Now their new big thing is "personhood" amendments to their state constitutions. I'm sorry but it just seems like a hopeless region that does nothing but hold back the entire country. They stick religion into every aspect of life.
You do know that the "Mid-Atlantic" region you claim is your home are all SLAVE STATES that were apart of the Confederacy.Washington D.C. 's roots are SOUTHERN in nature by its very creation as the nations capitol.

Maryland
Virginia -(capitol of the Confederacy)
Delaware
District of Columbia
Why do you think that these states are now among the most popular for blacks?Why do you think these states have the highest paid blacks(and whites) in the entire U.S.?
Maryland( a former slave state) has the largest percentage of blacks millionaires in America.
The first black Governor of any state in the Union have been from the Southern States.
All the present Women Governors are in the South.
So please tell me how Southern States have and do not change by becoming less conservative?

Old 09-02-2012, 03:44 AM

127 posts, read 198,280 times
The Federal branch is our "enforcer" and seeing as how we have a ridiculously large military, I would say no the United States will not fall apart. They will enforce the Constitution and force the states to stick together. Rick Perry or Jan Brewer can threaten secession all they want, but they will never do it because they will be surrounded by the USAF, Army, Marines, and the USN.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:55 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
First, for most people on Earth, America is the Evil Empire. Many people, from Palestine to Congo, from Chile to Haiti, go to sleep after they pray for America to die. Look at the history...who put Pinochet in power? Who supported Apartheid South Africa? America is a useless bastard of a nation that should be put down like the dog it is...but note that we in Cascadia would never do those things and we wont with our foreign affairs.
But your a American like it or not every time you talk about America your talking about your region as well, I dare you to go into the streets with a sign saying let's break away from "the Empire" just a thought.

2. Government some times does stuff Americans don't want it to do.

Quote:
Second, I have family in Savannah. A few liberal cities doesn't mean anything.
Most of the county is urban, most urban area tend to be liberal including in the south. This goes back to red state blue state thing.

There are
Red states
There red leaning states
The swing states
There's blue leaning states
There's blue states

Georgia is a red leaning state it's no where near as red as Mississippi. It's in the middle between a red state and becoming a swing state. But you have it your head that these are some super red states where right wing folks can just walk in and do what they want to do,. And that all we send to Washington.

GA, NC, TX, FL, VA, which is are ironically the more populated states in the south. Are in general between moderate and conservative they aren't a conservative haven and they actually growing more liberal slowly.

Quote:
Third, it was FEDERAL TROOPS that came to my state and forced those dispensaries to close. If not that, there's some other things the federal government will force us to do. It's time that we all go our separate ways.
would it better if was local cops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Umm okey back on planet earth now.

The south is a very broad area, you really can't group GA, TX, NC, VA, and FL with TN, LA, AL, and you can't really group even those with MS, SC, and AR. There are slower and faster states. There states that go though the sunbelt boom a gain millions of people.

You know the south is more diverse than the Midwest and the northeast overall? But the sun belt boom and immigration has drastically change the culture of the south since the 50s. GA, TX, NC, VA, and FL all are on the road to become minority majority states. TX and FL are already are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas