Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 09:11 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Someone who hails from a demographic that includes crackheads crying to be recognized as the descendants of nubian olmecs has no business lecturing ANYBODY on identity issues.

In a nut shell, indeed.
What are you talking about?

Please quote me EVER once stating (or implying) that I am (or any Black people are) the descendent of "Nubian olmecs".

Old 10-22-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Caribbean people in the U.S., while usually of African descent, can be of all different backgrounds. The population is no more interested in being identified as white American than black American. If you feel that the Caribbean-American population would not have a problem with being identified as "white" then you are not familiar enough with the culture(s). Now with the influx of different groups that are maintaining a more distinct identity, some Caribbean people would like the ability to do the same. Not sure why it is so hard to grasp that many people are simply proud of their heritage.
I know many of the different cultures of Caribbeans very well. I have MANY friends who are of a Caribbean background as well as Caribbeans who have married into my Black American family. As with some American blacks, there is a color-coded hierarchy and social stratification that exists amongst Caribbeans. The main reason that many Caribbeans come to the United States is because they tend to be too dark to be a part of the 'elite' in their home countries.

Caribbeans can identify themselves however they desire but we all know the real motivation behind the movement.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:08 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I know many of the different cultures of Caribbeans very well. I have MANY friends who are of a Caribbean background as well as Caribbeans who have married into my Black American family. As with some American blacks, there is a color-coded hierarchy and social stratification that exists amongst Caribbeans. The main reason that many Caribbeans come to the United States is because they tend to be too dark to be a part of the 'elite' in their home countries.

Caribbeans can identify themselves however they desire but we all know the real motivation behind the movement.
Caribbean societies certainly do have a class & color stratification. That being said, it is not simply a matter of being too dark to be part of these elite, as you will find plenty dark people who are in fact part of the elite. Both class and color can and do make a difference.

The real motivation is to be recognized as a distinct ethnic group (made of many cultural/ethnic groups), as who people are. Smaller groups in the U.S. do have a harder time being recognized. See the Arab-American population that has had a similar initiative for sometime now but to no avail.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:35 AM

347 posts, read 696,126 times
Quote:

There are many elite and wealthy dark skinned people in the Caribbean. You have no idea what you are talking about. Have you ever actually been to the Caribbean??Doesn't sound so.
To address your other point, I actually know Caribbean whites who I went to university with. They HATED the extra attention they got over there from the time they opened their mouth and were generally really annoyed at how North Americans are filled with wonder at the fact that they even exist. They hated always having to prove their Caribbean-ness to outsiders (You're from the Caribbean?? Really? Are your parents from the Caribbean? Are your grandparents from the Caribbean??)
So to answer your question, they hated being lumped in with North American whites.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:23 AM

Who is disputing being American? LOL. The U.S. has many different ethnic/cultural groups.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 10-23-2013 at 09:37 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
There are many elite and wealthy dark skinned people in the Caribbean. You have no idea what you are talking about. Have you ever actually been to the Caribbean??Doesn't sound so.
To address your other point, I actually know Caribbean whites who I went to university with. They HATED the extra attention they got over there from the time they opened their mouth and were generally really annoyed at how North Americans are filled with wonder at the fact that they even exist. They hated always having to prove their Caribbean-ness to outsiders (You're from the Caribbean?? Really? Are your parents from the Caribbean? Are your grandparents from the Caribbean??)
So to answer your question, they hated being lumped in with North American whites.
Ha ha ha ha...this is very true. It really throws people off because often people's idea of Caribbean people is some commercial about Jamaica with a bunch of smiling "rastas."

Unfortunately here in the States, many Black Americans equate the desire to be known by ones ethnicity or cultural group as "wanting to be white" or "not wanting to be black."

But anyway, I encourage such an initiative as perhaps it will inspire Caribbean-Americans to form a strong community. There are likely enough people who care about the Caribbean community in the U.S. and about the region in general to accomplish this. For example, there already small scholarships for students from the Caribbean or of Caribbean descent. Perhaps far more can be provided for young people. What about having more well-connected organizations through which we can respond to natural disasters in the region? Not to mention just passing on the culture as much as possible. I look at the African and South Asian communities here, and they seem to be significantly connected. Imho, we can do more...ok, done rambling.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 10-23-2013 at 09:49 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 05:56 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,048,136 times
Quote:
Unfortunately here in the States, many Black Americans equate the desire to be known by ones ethnicity or cultural group as "wanting to be white" or "not wanting to be black."
Yep, basically its part of the crabs in bucket, drag everyone down mentality.

Quote:
But anyway, I encourage such an initiative as perhaps it will inspire Caribbean-Americans to form a strong community. There are likely enough people who care about the Caribbean community in the U.S. and about the region in general to accomplish this. Not to mention just passing on the culture as much as possible.
Frankly THAT'S PRECISELY WHAT MANY OTHER IMMIGRANT GROUPS HAVE DONE THROUGHOUT AMERICAN HISTORY, just because the current groups contain individuals darker than a brown paper bag does not make them traitorous or any such kind of nonsense.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
I have been to several islands of the Caribbean and have a multitude of friends and family (by marriage) who are Caribbean. Yes, there are always exceptions but the MAJORITY of the powerful and wealthy elite in the Caribbean are lighter skinned individuals. Not ALL but the majority.

And let me know when white Caribbeans start an entire movement to 'distinguish' themselves from US born whites....because until then, we ALL know what this is really all about.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:40 AM

10,112 posts, read 14,985,985 times
Calipoppy, you are aware that the elite in every single country, including the USA, is usually a a minority in single-digit-percentage, right?

99.9999999% of US Americans don't belong to the elite.

99.9999999% of African Americans don't belong to the African American elite.

99.9999999% of Africans don't belong to any of the African elites.

99.9999999% of Europeans don't belong to any of the European elites.

99.9999999% of Japanese don't belong to the Japanese elite.

99.9999999% of Chinese don't belong to the Chinese elite.

You do get what I'm saying, right?

Old 10-24-2013, 05:09 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,048,136 times
Quote:
I have been to several islands of the Caribbean and have a multitude of friends and family (by marriage) who are Caribbean. Yes, there are always exceptions but the MAJORITY of the powerful and wealthy elite in the Caribbean are lighter skinned individuals. Not ALL but the majority.
The kettle talking smack about the pot.

An obsession with the right schools, families, social clubs, and skin complexion. This is the world of the black upper class and the focus of the first book written about the black elite by a member of this hard-to-penetrate group.

Quote:
And let me know when white Caribbeans start an entire movement to 'distinguish' themselves from US born whites....because until then, we ALL know what this is really all about.
Apparently Leonard Jeffries has neglected not only the Revolutionary War but also the Great American Secession in the curriculum for his acolytes.

Last edited by kovert; 10-24-2013 at 05:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.