Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:02 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
If that was the case the NYC, Boston, Atlanta, Miami etc wouldn't hold Caribbean style carnivals...
Good point...as it is attended by 1st and 2nd generation Caribbean people. Not that the Carnivals are complete indicators of culture or anything, but it definitely does show affiliation with their heritages. Caribbean people often tend to go with the flow and don't make a big fuss in general. That doesn't mean that they have discarded their identities and assimilated into another community.

I've even seen 3rd generation children being raised with the culture now, which is nice imho.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:09 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
Quote:
If that was the case the NYC, Boston, Atlanta, Miami etc wouldn't hold Caribbean style carnivals...
What does holding "Caribbean style carnivals" have to do with the fact that the majority of Caribbean people in the United States assimilate into the African American population within a generation or two? I have attended Caribbean festivals/carnivals/parties, etc. and I'm not even Caribbean.

My friends of Caribbean background tend to not date/marry Caribbean men. And it is not because Caribbean men at not marriage material but it is because the dating pool of Caribbean men is not very large. And the Caribbean men that I know have either African American, Latinas, Filipinas or Caucasian spouses. Therefore, I also have many friends and acquaintances who are half Caribbean and half African (or Caucasian or Asian) American.

ETA: I actually do understand the OP's point regarding preserving heritage, but in my experience most Caribbean people tend to marry outside of their respective community in the US.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:23 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,387,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Good point...as it is attended by 1st and 2nd generation Caribbean people. Not that the Carnivals are complete indicators of culture or anything, but it definitely does show affiliation with their heritages. Caribbean people often tend to go with the flow and don't make a big fuss in general. That doesn't mean that they have discarded their identities and assimilated into another community.

I've even seen 3rd generation children being raised with the culture now, which is nice imho.
I agree Caribbean people do tend to ''go with the flow'' they tend to blend into the wider society way more easily than other groups. They're also more excepted by the White population, for example White Brits wine against the trucks on Notting Hill carnival!

Notting Hill Carnival 2013 London UK - YouTube

Notting Hill Carnival 2013 London UK DAY2 - YouTube

If you watched the video you can see the White Brits stuck in and not watching at the side like ''oh I'm to posh to get involved''

And the sentence in bold I'm 2nd generation born (on my Mothers side) and 1st generation born (on my fathers side and clearly I'm in tune with my culture.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I agree Caribbean people do tend to ''go with the flow'' they tend to blend into the wider society way more easily than other groups. They're also more excepted by the White population, for example White Brits wine against the trucks on Notting Hill carnival!

If you watched the video you can see the White Brits stuck in and not watching at the side like ''oh I'm to posh to get involved''

And the sentence in bold I'm 2nd generation born (on my Mothers side) and 1st generation born (on my fathers side and clearly I'm in tune with my culture.
It's quite normal in the UK to be significantly connected for a number of reasons, but it's nice to see everyone taking part. I was checking out a video of people in St. Paul's Carnival with everybody palancin..it was nice!

Old 11-07-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
What does holding "Caribbean style carnivals" have to do with the fact that the majority of Caribbean people in the United States assimilate into the African American population within a generation or two? I have attended Caribbean festivals/carnivals/parties, etc. and I'm not even Caribbean.

My friends of Caribbean background tend to not date/marry Caribbean men. And it is not because Caribbean men at not marriage material but it is because the dating pool of Caribbean men is not very large. And the Caribbean men that I know have either African American, Latinas, Filipinas or Caucasian spouses. Therefore, I also have many friends and acquaintances who are half Caribbean and half African (or Caucasian or Asian) American.

ETA: I actually do understand the OP's point regarding preserving heritage, but in my experience most Caribbean people tend to marry outside of their respective community in the US.
My point is that if the American West Indian population assimilated into African American community than Caribbean carnivals throughout the eastern half of the USA simply would no longer take place because the West Indians would be fused with the AA community. They wouldn't bother to dress up in those costumes and dance to the up-tempo beats. For example within my own family they don't necessarily oose with Caribbean vibes but at the end of the day they still go to the Carnivals, buy Roti and Chicken in the Caribbean shops.
Yes, non Caribbeans attend Carnivals and parties but unlike a Half or full Caribbean person you won't have that ''feeling'' that your being loyal to your culture - I can't really explain it.
Even 3rd generation British Caribbeans try to speak the dialects, eat the food and talk about their culture after probably 50 years of their family being in this Country!
There are whole areas in NYC that are very West Indian I've heard and that will not change anytime soon - maybe blend a little.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
It's quite normal in the UK to be significantly connected for a number of reasons, but it's nice to see everyone taking part. I was checking out a video of people in St. Paul's Carnival with everybody palancin..it was nice!
St Paul in Bristol?

Old 11-07-2013, 10:50 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
Quote:

Oh really?

Then why did Afro-Caribbeans riot in England in 2011?

Why London Exploded Last Night : NPR

Who Are The London Rioters And Why Are They Rioting? : The Two-Way : NPR

Britain tense as gangs roam, violence flares in London, other cities - CNN.com

BBC News - Trouble in the heart of Hackney

Old 11-07-2013, 10:55 AM

Ummmm, people of a myriad of backgrounds rioted actually.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
St Paul in Bristol?
Yea, looked like fun...i really like the UK vibe.

Jus Now - St Pauls Carnival (Red Bull) - YouTube

Old 11-07-2013, 10:59 AM

Please please...

The reason why the riots happened was because of the innocent murder of a young black man in North London -institutionalised racism in the police is a big thing over here.

However as I live in the UK I naturally know more than you, whites, Asians, Chinese people everyone from all backgrounds participated in the riots because of the issues that UK government seem to either dismiss or ignore. The UK government at the time were cutting a lot of services that effected the working class /lower middle class British of this Country (of all ethnicities) This and the fact that Mark's innocent death leaded to the riots.

Though the media may tell you or may come across that it was mostly blacks involved in the riots it isn't true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas