Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 02:51 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
It is probably on a par with other Capitol cities as far as costs. Lots to see and do around the city, several of the worlds top restaurants are here. Beaches are for surfing on,cliff watching or parasailing above. Climate is either winter (clouds) or summer (sun) ,Temps are 60 or 80 depending on season.
Lima has less sunshine than London, so I would agree with the meh assessment. Temperatures are mild, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 03:53 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,321,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
Lima is okey-ish around 2 blocks in downtown, some nicer spots close to the coast and also Miraflores area is ok. The rest reminds me a lot of Kabul, Afghanistan and it's unfortunately not flattery.
That's just not true. Miraflores and San Isidro seem very safe, on part with anything in Manhattan. And Downtown is safe during the day, it's only at night when the seediness seems to come out

Old 02-07-2016, 04:49 PM

491 posts, read 752,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
That's just not true. Miraflores and San Isidro seem very safe, on part with anything in Manhattan. And Downtown is safe during the day, it's only at night when the seediness seems to come out
first you say I'm lying then you go and say EXACTLY THE SAME as I did.... eh, lol?

Anyway, I was never robbed but I did notice something very strange, there was a rope between us white /whiter people and the other more ethnic peruvians on the beach. They hardly had a spot to place their stuff and we were few people on our side. The renting agency said the beach close to the condo was public, but someone must have paid someone to uphold that godawful segregation. I felt very uneasy and left within an hour after arriving

Last edited by MrPilot; 02-07-2016 at 04:58 PM..

Old 02-23-2016, 05:29 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,446,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
Lima is okey-ish around 2 blocks in downtown, some nicer spots close to the coast and also Miraflores area is ok. The rest reminds me a lot of Kabul, Afghanistan and it's unfortunately not flattery.

Please be aware that Lima is one of the most polluted cities in the world, I remember traffic as caotic, no drinking water, poor sewage systems, and dodgy internet. You will be reminded that Lima isn't a particularly developed city.

Driving in Lima:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4iJ3uhX3xI

Underdevelopment:

Pollution in Lima:
Living in Peru » News » Peru: Lima among the most polluted cities in the world

I thought this topic needed more balancing.
This comment is biased. No running water? Maybe in shantytowns you will have no running water but a lot of Limenos have running water. Dodgy internet? The internet worked just fine when I was there. There are other nice sections of Lima including San Isidro, parts of Santiago de Surco, Monterrico, Pueblo Libre, and parts of San Miguel. I don't think you really gave Lima much of a chance which is probably why you are so negative about it.

It is one thing to make this thread balancing. It is another to spread misinformation on the internet.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:31 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post

It is one thing to make this thread balancing. It is another to spread misinformation on the internet.
He's one of those supposed "new-rich" Chileans, with the mentality that goes along with that. Loves to bash Peru and others...

I've got it sussed.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 02-23-2016 at 08:45 AM..

Old 02-23-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
He's one of those supposed "new-rich" Chileans, with the mentality that goes along with that. Loves to bash Peru and others...

I've got it sussed.
Lol he must be one of those people who thinks pisco and suspiro de limena are Chilean

Old 02-23-2016, 12:49 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Great thread. Really makes me want to go to Peru!

Old 02-26-2016, 10:51 AM

491 posts, read 752,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post

I've got it sussed.
HI! Sorry for the late reply. I've been traveling extensively out of Sweden base of ops on a heavy roster duty. I'm just now in the US.

I'm Swedish, not Chilean. Worked in Chile for six years in total. My heritage is of northern Swedish since oh a good couple of centuries.

I don't dislike Peru. I like that country and its people. There are many cities in Peru that are great! Many cities in Chile sucks IMO but the topic is about Lima. Lima gave me 2 important and painful food poisonings after drinking what was supposed to be potable water. The Internet was dodgy outside of the apartment. I really recommend going elsewhere while in Peru.

I have no opinion about pisco and where any of it comes from.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:53 PM

Went back for a month in December and it was even better than last time

Spent more time with locals and discovered many parts of Lima that are normally off the beaten track. There are a lot of middle class areas in Lima that most tourists never get to see. San Miguel, Pueblo Libre, Lince, Jesus Maria, San Borja, Surco, these are all very nice middle class areas in Lima

Old 01-07-2017, 02:47 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Lol he must be one of those people who thinks pisco and suspiro de limena are Chilean
Ouch! lol

Quote:
Went back for a month in December and it was even better than last time

Spent more time with locals and discovered many parts of Lima that are normally off the beaten track. There are a lot of middle class areas in Lima that most tourists never get to see. San Miguel, Pueblo Libre, Lince, Jesus Maria, San Borja, Surco, these are all very nice middle class areas in Lima
Tourists don't need to know of all the middle class areas of any city. Locals that live in those neighborhoods probably appreciate the fact that tourists don't go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas