Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:37 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times

Advertisements

[quote=papuolo;49072905]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I've seen plenty of working class white people in Colombia.

Yes, there's a large percentage of working class white people in Latin America. Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, wherever.[/QUOT

you have never been in that continent.

talk about buschimans
I have to Paraguay, Brazil, Argentina, and Colombia and yes I have known many working class whites in South America. I stayed in the home of a working class white family when I was an exchange student in Paraguay.

It's a myth that white people in Latin America are all well off or all educated. There are plenty who are not.

And please do tell us what country you are from in Latin America and where you are from?

Being Latino doesn't mean you know conditions on the ground in all the countries in the region. Then again from your posts you seem to be Cuban.

You wouldn't know anything at all about South America. I've been to that continent and I loved it.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papuolo View Post
Condition of blacks in Cuba is more related to the last 60 years that to the last 400.
As whites were disenfranchises, confiscated and mobbed by blacks during the early 60' to remove white bourgeosie, for them most whites were bourgeous . even party leaders were subjects.
They were granted the direction of state companies, which floundered, white houses, that they destroyed and had orders to hostigate white, squatter their properties, attack and insult.
In a few the result was so tremendous, that Castro himself removed them from anywhere with some responsability and replaced them with evil "bourgeois" that protected themself, even to the point you could only find blacks in music and sports.
Time passed, whites started to disappear, and Havana was invaded by PALESTINIANS.
In Cuba a Palestinian is an illegal immigrant from the eastern provinces, and as most are blacks, palestinain, black, petty criminal, and lemming progreation is the same.
So this is the result of the marxist experminent
So your family was one of the families who lost properties to Castro's takeover?

And you're rather angry and racist about it, it seems. Too bad there's nothing you can do about it. Enjoy life in Florida.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:19 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Yes and black or white people from rich neighborhood have the same ‘’hate treatment’’ (economic class fight) from favela’s people.

I think how in Brazil and other Latin American countries when slavery over how the black people here didn’t suffer the segregation laws how happened in Anglo countries as USA and South Africa the Latin American blacks don’t have such hate of white people because the slavery are far in the past there aren’t whites or blacks people from that time live.

Segregation and apartheid are recent thing, live in blacks memories although younger generation didn’t suffer their parents yes.

In countries were white people there is only in the elites stratus of the society are in areas where Spain, Holland, France or England only sent few ‘’managers’’ and their families for coordinate some specific economic active how cotton or sugar farms, of course these families are the richest in these countries yet today but it happened only in small countries in center America and Caribbean islands.

In Brazil is normal has tons of white poor because half Portugal immigrated to Brazil and after millions of poor Europeans, but also in countries as Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Mexico, Colombia where white people is minority, but 10% or 20% is not uncommon see white people in worker class.

Are you considered white in Brazil?
Personally I have heard a different opinion on what you are saying from black/ or more Afro-Brazilians.
I know my family comes from the 5% white ( visibly European/Middle Eastern looking) population in Trinidad and I personally I think that question is better answered by someone who is "black".

For when I was in Cuba a place that claims to have next no issues with race relations I could not help but notice that the type of jobs people held in the resorts appeared very related to their skin colour.

The ones that where more European looking worked at the front desks or bar tenders (which make a lot more because they get tips) and the more darker/ Afro-Cubans were typically the ones cleaning or cooking. Walking around Cuba the same theme continues. In my opinion there is what is really happening and what governments and the people that what to maintain the status quo want you to believe.

In Trinidad there are some "poor people from Portugal" came there too.... but most did not say poor for too long. Being white often does help you get out of poverty a bit quicker in former colonial places. Even if you don't have money you are more easily accepted in circles of people that do if you look like them.

I could give loads of examples of this from my own family .... and actually from my own life.
I went to school with mostly kids from Italian families. I can pass for Italian and looked like most of the kids I went to school with. I blended in so their parents and grand parents would let them invite me to their parties and come over.... but my friends that did not look like them from the Caribbean where met with far less acceptance. Even in they were friends in school their parents or grand parents were much less willing to encourage them to be friends with them. When you blend in people are much more likely to let to forget where you are really from and they often say stuff about other cultures/races that they would never dare say directly to someone from that cultural group.

Last edited by klmrocks; 08-04-2017 at 11:27 AM..

Old 08-04-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Are you considered white in Brazil?
Personally I have heard a different opinion on what you are saying from black/ or more Afro-Brazilians.
I know my family comes from the 5% white ( visibly European/Middle Eastern looking) population in Trinidad and I personally I think that question is better answered by someone who is "black".

For when I was in Cuba a place that claims to have next no issues with race relations I could not help but notice that the type of jobs people held in the resorts appeared very related to their skin colour.

The ones that where more European looking worked at the front desks or bar tenders (which make a lot more because they get tips) and the more darker/ Afro-Cubans were typically the ones cleaning or cooking. Walking around Cuba the same theme continues. In my opinion there is what is really happening and what governments and the people that what to maintain the status quo want you to believe.

In Trinidad there are some "poor people from Portugal" came there too.... but most did not say poor for too long. Being white often does help you get out of poverty a bit quicker in former colonial places. Even if you don't have money you are more easily accepted in circles of people that do if you look like them.

I could give loads of examples of this from my own family .... and actually from my own life.
I went to school with mostly kids from Italian families. I can pass for Italian and looked like most of the kids I went to school with. I blended in so their parents and grand parents would let them invite me to their parties and come over.... but my friends that did not look like them from the Caribbean where met with far less acceptance. Even in they were friends in school their parents or grand parents were much less willing to encourage them to be friends with them. When you blend in people are much more likely to let to forget where you are really from and they often say stuff about other cultures/races that they would never dare say directly to someone from that cultural group.
Indeed. On top of that Cuba has an oppressive government that would put down activists who would fight against the struggle.

Brazil has instituted affirmative action policies, which indicate that they admitted there was a huge problem. Few Blacks had university degrees or professional careers, so by the early 2000s universities in Brazil instituted affirmative action. Affirmative action was instituted at universities in Colombia.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:20 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juancarbonell View Post
You have to be careful with some of the trolls that will make false claims.

I come from Cuba and I can assure you race is never seen in the news, .

In fact the Castro regime makes it a huge project to prevent discussion of racism. There is however a lively debate among those Cuban blacks bold enough to be vocal about this. From the rappers all the way to the intellectuals.

Their conversation paints a Cuba not that different from the USA, except in the USA one is free to discuss it. But employment based racism and disproportionate harassment by the police aren't concepts which are alien to Cuban blacks.

I much prefer to live in a country which allows me to say "ouch" when some one smashes my foot than a country which smashes my foot and then prevents me from yelling in pain.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I wonder how many of the people that posted (and those that will post) in this thread actually live (or lived) anywhere in Latin America for at least 5 consecutive years.

As of right now, the only one that made this info public is this guy:

We do know many black Latin Americans who become quite vocal on issues concerning race in Latin America. In the USA they have the freedom to do so, more than they do in the USA.

Brazil now has a very active group of blacks who are also quite vocal about racism. These also exist in Cuba. I suspect that Brazil and Cuba aren't the only places where racism is an issue in Latin America. Its just that there are a critical mass of black professionals who are able to mobilize around this issue.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Funny that you mention that. I saw the movie "Cidade de Dios", which featured a REALLY white red headed kid living among the others who were mixed or black. He didn't act superior to them and he was treated just like everyone else. That would be an extreme rarity in any large US city for a white to live in such poverty.

I didn't get the impression that he was poor. He was a drug addict who cultivated relationships with those who could supply him. This exists in the USA as well.

What confuses people on this topic of racism is the racial segregation that is unique to the USA. Poor whites in Latin America will have their prejudices towards poor nonwhites and MIGHT have better opportunities to escape their poverty. But because they are more likely to live in communities including people of color it will be easier for them to mobilize around class issues.

Intense segregation of the white poor in the USA from poor nonwhites breeds tremendous levels of ignorance. The latest being peddled towards these white poor is that their poverty is because nonwhites receive preferential treatment. They scream for government programs and think that they don't get them because blacks and "immigrants" are favored. They then vote for those who want to reduce these social supports even more than they already have.

But racism and implicit bias remain issues in both the USA and in Latin America.

Last edited by caribny; 08-04-2017 at 01:36 PM..

Old 08-04-2017, 01:31 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Indeed. On top of that Cuba has an oppressive government that would put down activists who would fight against the struggle.

Brazil has instituted affirmative action policies, which indicate that they admitted there was a huge problem. Few Blacks had university degrees or professional careers, so by the early 2000s universities in Brazil instituted affirmative action. Affirmative action was instituted at universities in Colombia.
Re-Brazil... I heard about the affirmative action steps. I also saw something about it in a documentary a while back. It also addressed an interesting debate regarding in highly racially mixed countries how to you define black? Ex I have lots of family that has partial Afro-Caribbean heritage... how "black" do you have to meet to be deserving of affirmative action steps. It was an interesting topic... but I watched this a long time ago.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:34 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
In fact the Castro regime makes it a huge project to prevent discussion of racism. There is however a lively debate among those Cuban blacks bold enough to be vocal about this. From the rappers all the way to the intellectuals.

Their conversation paints a Cuba not that different from the USA, except in the USA one is free to discuss it. But employment based racism and disproportionate harassment by the police aren't concepts which are alien to Cuban blacks.

I much prefer to live in a country which allows me to say "ouch" when some one smashes my foot than a country which smashes my foot and then prevents me from yelling in pain.
I think that is what is going on ... they are not in a postion to complain safely... so they can't.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:53 PM

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
We do know many black Latin Americans who become quite vocal on issues concerning race in Latin America. In the USA they have the freedom to do so, more than they do in the USA.

Brazil now has a very active group of blacks who are also quite vocal about racism. These also exist in Cuba. I suspect that Brazil and Cuba aren't the only places where racism is an issue in Latin America. Its just that there are a critical mass of black professionals who are able to mobilize around this issue.
I think the same issues with racism are around all over the Americas. The difference is that in certain parts of the Americas there is more freedom to complain about or discuss the concerns openly.

For me I don't look at what people tell me with regards to the topics alone. I observe these places for basic facts once I am there.

Ex Who lives in the nicer areas or nicer homes?
What do the doctors look like?
What to the people who do the worst paying or least desirable jobs look like.
What do the university students look like?
What do the people on tv shows look like?
What do news reported look like?

For example it Mexico, in Colombia and Cuba I noticed stuff.
In Bogota to me it was really obvious. When I went to the Zona Rosa people looked VERY different compared to a 30 mintue drive away. It was like Night and Day. The contrast was mind blowing. Both cool parts of the city to see... but Colombia is one country that I 100% think is full of surprizes. Bogota is one city that will trick you! One moment you feel too dressed up and the next moment you feel too dressed down. One moment you feel like you need to be super careful and next moment you feel like you are acting paranoid for no reason. One second people give you the impression their so many people that are going to try to rob you and then encounter all these strangers that are welcoming and trying to advise or help you with no strings attached to ensure you have a safe and fun time.

In Cuba it was ridiculous! It was so colonial that is was embarassing.

It Mexico it was wired. It was like I see all these people ... but like none of them look anything like Mexican's in the media ... not even a little. It is was just wired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas