Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 01:30 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
1-Yes.

3-In Brazil the universities always were opened for people who can afford... of all races.
Because Brazil lacked a pool of middle class blacks to the extent that the USA has had it was able to exclude them merely by using class systems.

Even though Brazil has a much larger population of people who will be deemed to be black in the USA until recently these people were very rarely seen as professionals.

It is interesting that in the USA the more educated a black is the higher his income is relative to whites, whereas as the opposite was reported to be the case in Brazil in the late 90s. This because black college graduates in Brazil were locked out of the more lucrative avenues within their professions.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:34 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Because I and many people here think that one part of elites have planted this black activism in Brazil, (American style), only for divide us.

yet its interesting that the loudest critics of programs to remedy the exclusion of darker Brazilians from upper middle class occupations come from the more conservative end of the political spectrum. They wish to end it.

Do you think that Lula wanted to divide the working class, his main support base? In fact many of these programs were implemented when he became president.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:59 AM

505 posts, read 392,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Don't they have rich relatives in the United States that they can lean on?
No, the emergence of the new economy.

As to dark Brazilians, I don't see them as tourists.

Last edited by farinello; 09-02-2017 at 04:19 AM..

Old 09-05-2017, 04:46 AM

397 posts, read 319,131 times
I'd say countries like Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Brazil have the largest white working class populations. In many LA countries, the white population is relatively smaller and makes up a large percentage of the elites. Generally, the larger a population is, the less elites there will be. For instance, if you go to Israel, you'll find plenty of Jews who perform working-class jobs and are not well educated. Yet in the US, where they make up a much smaller of the population, they tend to be concentrated in high-paying professional jobs. Or Chinese who tend to be successful in other Asian countries or the US, but China is full of poor peasants, but when they immigrate to other countries they become successful.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:10 AM

990 posts, read 879,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
yet its interesting that the loudest critics of programs to remedy the exclusion of darker Brazilians from upper middle class occupations come from the more conservative end of the political spectrum. They wish to end it.

Do you think that Lula wanted to divide the working class, his main support base? In fact many of these programs were implemented when he became president.
The social programs of Lula always had the family’s income as goal. If you look ‘’minha casa minha vida’’ or ‘’bolsa familia’’ have never about skin color as condition for acceptance.
This agenda was forced

Old 09-05-2017, 06:28 AM

990 posts, read 879,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Because Brazil lacked a pool of middle class blacks to the extent that the USA has had it was able to exclude them merely by using class systems.

Even though Brazil has a much larger population of people who will be deemed to be black in the USA until recently these people were very rarely seen as professionals.

It is interesting that in the USA the more educated a black is the higher his income is relative to whites, whereas as the opposite was reported to be the case in Brazil in the late 90s. This because black college graduates in Brazil were locked out of the more lucrative avenues within their professions.
Yes the traditional middle class families have the social connections for put their children in the best jobs ‘’by indication’’. I saw it in first hand when I was in the college.

In USA how the country has plenty more opportunities I guess it doesn’t matter because there are good vacancies for all. In Brazil mostly professional from poor families will be professional in small companies that is very different (income, growth opportunities) than work for middle or big companies.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:52 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times
Default .....

Quote:
Yes the traditional middle class families have the social connections for put their children in the best jobs ‘’by indication’’. I saw it in first hand when I was in the college.

In USA how the country has plenty more opportunities I guess it doesn’t matter because there are good vacancies for all. In Brazil mostly professional from poor families will be professional in small companies that is very different (income, growth opportunities) than work for middle or big companies.
There is truth to that everywhere. Let's not kid ourselves...

ex look at Donald Trump....
He was elected... but is seems like his kids are now running the country. Totally crazy.

As mentioned before I came from a working class family and saw this first hand.
If you want to move up and you are from a working class or middle class family you have to work a lot harder.

As a parent I can see it in the school system in my city too.
When my daughter was little she was in private school and that were taught at a way higher level ex giving presentations to the school individually at the age for 4!!! She got kick out because she has ADDH and had to go to public school and it was a disgrace by comparison. She then had to go to a program in a Catholic school and it was a tiny bit better.
I have a freind from Costa Rica and her family is pretty wealthy. All their kids went to private schools and they were given a better foundation to be successful. Even if you are middle class kid and you just scrape in to situations with the kids from high income families that have connections the contact and networking with them helps you. I had no connections... it was tough getting better jobs because at the end of the day some times people really do get picked because of who they know and if someone just happens to like them.

That is why when I meet someone that is from a lower income situation and has made it far in terms of education and I was hiring I work favor them just because I know they are likely naturally exceptionally talented and smart and similar to me they know how to hustle and be creative when they have a challenging situation. You are not as likely going to get as much effort from someone that has had an easy life.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:55 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:

George W Bush's father was the President. Of course coming from connected families in the US makes a huge difference.

Bill Gates who created Microsoft came from a wealthy family. Ditto for our other tech geniuses. Job opportunities are so bad for the average working class American that the top cause of death for Americans is overdose. A combination of suicide and overdoses has lowered the life expectancy of Americans.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:42 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,784,942 times
Answering the original question of this thread: yes, there are millions of poor white people in Latin America, including Brazil.

If you need an example, go to the 24 minutes mark in this video:

There you will meet Mr. Jose Pedro Rodrigues and his wife, who live in absolute poverty in the semi-arid hinterlands of the state of Piaui, without electricity, without running water, and without a toilet.

Mr. Jose Pedro Rodrigues and his wife are an example of the millions of white-skinned Brazilians living in absolute poverty, specially in the semi-arid hinterlands of the Northeast.

I hope I strictly answered the original question of the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas