Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Brazil part of Latin America
Yes 55 85.94%
No 7 10.94%
I'm not sure 2 3.13%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 09:51 PM

630 posts, read 525,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Never thought of it like that. I keep forgetting French is latin based. Always though of it as the odd ball language in western Europe. Sure it sounds a little like Portuguese but sounds nothing like Italian and Spanish. Portuguese, Italian and Spanish are all clearly related. Also English, German and Dutch are all clearly related. French just seems unique to me.
"sounding" alike is vague, and probably not the best way to determine languages proximity. A Portuguese and a Spaniard have very distinct accent when speaking English, for instance. Nonetheless, grammatically the closeness is obvious and so is with French and Italian, even Romanian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 10:04 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
Quote:
I always figured it wasn't because they dont' speak Spanish at all, and most Brazilians don't really resemble typical Mestizo Latin Americans. However my workplace celebrated "Latin American heritage month" and included Brazil. I also see on here people seem comfortable referring to Brazil as part of Latin America. Now I'm confused
Since when did Latin mean Spanish exclusively

Old 03-29-2018, 10:29 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Since when did Latin mean Spanish exclusively
Most people in the USA think Latino refers to Spanish speaking people who like similar to this family.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Brazil considered Latin America?-latino.png  

Old 03-29-2018, 10:36 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Most people in the USA think Latino refers to Spanish speaking people who like similar to this family.
I know not all Latino families look like that, but a lot of them do. I know Chile and Argentina are pretty white, DR is heavily black, and Cuba is a mix of white and black with fewer mestizo's. I guess my thing is I grew up in an era where "Hispanic" and "Latino" where used pretty interchangeably. The one Brazilian guy I knew in high school made it pretty clear to everyone that he didn't speak Spanish. He also looked nothing like the family above.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:40 AM

836 posts, read 1,254,262 times
Quote:
Never thought of it like that. I keep forgetting French is latin based. Always though of it as the odd ball language in western Europe. Sure it sounds a little like Portuguese but sounds nothing like Italian and Spanish. Portuguese, Italian and Spanish are all clearly related. Also English, German and Dutch are all clearly related. French just seems unique to me.
English is an oddball among the Germanic languages (having more French/Romance influences), and French is an oddball among the Romance languages (having more Germanic influence, though not to the same extent as the Romance inflences in English).

Also, when discussing Romance languages like French, Portuguese, Spanish, and Italian, don't forget Catalan either. While Catalan is very much its own language, it's a three-way cross between French, Spanish, and Italian.

Quote:
I know not all Latino families look like that, but a lot of them do. I know Chile and Argentina are pretty white, DR is heavily black, and Cuba is a mix of white and black with fewer mestizo's. I guess my thing is I grew up in an era where "Hispanic" and "Latino" where used pretty interchangeably. The one Brazilian guy I knew in high school made it pretty clear to everyone that he didn't speak Spanish. He also looked nothing like the family above.
While Argentina is mostly white, Chile is largely mestizo (though more European-oriented than mestizos in most other Latin American countries) plus a significant amount of whites, and the DR is mainly mestizo (with some mulattoes, blacks, and whites).

Old 03-30-2018, 11:46 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
I always figured it wasn't because they dont' speak Spanish at all, and most Brazilians don't really resemble typical Mestizo Latin Americans. However my workplace celebrated "Latin American heritage month" and included Brazil. I also see on here people seem comfortable referring to Brazil as part of Latin America. Now I'm confused
OP, this is weird. Were you not aware that Portuguese is derived from Latin? As to your population-demographics criterion, bear in mind that Guatemala and Bolivia have an Indigenous majority, but are still considered part of "Latin" America. They aren't disqualified, just because the majority of the population speaks Native American languages.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:55 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
If you having trouble with the Latin part, you must be aware that Latin America was first colonized by the Spain and Portugal, both of which lie on the Iberian Penninsula.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:56 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Americans aren’t the most intelligent people when it comes to outside geography and understanding demographics. With all due respect!

Old 03-30-2018, 12:38 PM

630 posts, read 525,408 times
Quote:
I know not all Latino families look like that, but a lot of them do. I know Chile and Argentina are pretty white
That family depicted in the photo really is the average Latino family in the US, agreed. Now, I've always thought that Argentina's and especially Chile's whiteness is really exaggerated. Look at these pictures, they don't look much "whiter" than their neighbors, Indigenous features are pretty common. This comes to the fact that each population's genesis is based more on a myth than on reality.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:17 PM

321 posts, read 333,306 times
Yes, even Québec is Latin American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas