Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Brazil part of Latin America
Yes 55 85.94%
No 7 10.94%
I'm not sure 2 3.13%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 07:00 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
English is an oddball among the Germanic languages (having more French/Romance influences), and French is an oddball among the Romance languages (having more Germanic influence, though not to the same extent as the Romance inflences in English).

Also, when discussing Romance languages like French, Portuguese, Spanish, and Italian, don't forget Catalan either. While Catalan is very much its own language, it's a three-way cross between French, Spanish, and Italian.

While Argentina is mostly white, Chile is largely mestizo (though more European-oriented than mestizos in most other Latin American countries) plus a significant amount of whites, and the DR is mainly mestizo (with some mulattoes, blacks, and whites).
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
"sounding" alike is vague, and probably not the best way to determine languages proximity. A Portuguese and a Spaniard have very distinct accent when speaking English, for instance. Nonetheless, grammatically the closeness is obvious and so is with French and Italian, even Romanian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Never thought of it like that. I keep forgetting French is latin based. Always though of it as the odd ball language in western Europe. Sure it sounds a little like Portuguese but sounds nothing like Italian and Spanish. Portuguese, Italian and Spanish are all clearly related. Also English, German and Dutch are all clearly related. French just seems unique to me.
All of those languages are related. When the Roman Empire added Spain and Gaul to its domain. Spain and Gaul became important parts of the Roman Empire for resources and for troops. When Romans completed military service, Ex Roman soldiers and Auxiliaries would receive land parcels in Spain and Gaul. Plenty of Roman soldiers married Celtic women who lived in Spain and Gaul, thus ushering in Romanization. Or Celts became Roman by entering service for Rome. By time of the decline of the Western Roman Empire, much of the Celts in Spain and Gaul have become fully Romanized, and such tribes spoke different variation of Vulgar Latin. Spain and Italy sound alike phonetically, but grammar wise and structure, French and Italian are more alike in grammar. French and Portuguese sound more alike due to heavy Celtic and not Germanic influence on the nasal. The Germans adopted the languages of the people who they conquered in Spain and Gaul after the fall of Rome. The only words Germans added were command words, directions, and last names. Spanish names like Gonzalez, Rodriguez, Gutzman are all of German origin or French like Robert, Carl or Charles. The Latin word for war is bellum, Spanish, French Italian use the word Guerra/Guerre for war which is similar to werh in German for war in German. What I also find interesting is that Spanish and Italian phonetically sound like Greek. Maybe this had to due with Greeks living in Southern Italy and Western Spain. Same for Catalan in South of France.

Romanian. Romanian is probably connected with Dalmatian Latin spoken by Llyrian people. Dalmatian Latin is now extinct thanks to encroaching Slavic and Turkish language that dominated the area during Ottoman rule. Its amazing that African Latin, British Latin, and Dalmatian Latin all had died out. If these languages have survived, the cultures would have been more aligned with Spain France and Italy, and would have been overwhelmingly Catholic. The Norman speaking French conquered Britain in 1066 and added Vulgar Latin words from French to the English language. It looks like English was on its way becoming a Romance Language. If Spain would have conquered Britain during 1587. English would have fully transformed and become more of a Romance language, but would retain command structure that is Germanic.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 04-06-2018 at 07:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 07:21 AM

453 posts, read 317,223 times
Quote:
Filipinos are into K-pop and manga, and consider themselves Asians, they want nothing to do with Latin America.
It's interesting to notice that the "Latin soul" is an identity only claimed by Latin American. I think that this pseudo-nationalism built on the colonized identifying with the colonizers works as an ego booster. Being an Indian in Latin America is an insult, and as a result many Latinos want to be more Latin than Julius Caesar.
you just invent stuff like "they dont want to do with Latin america" you just pull stuff like that out of your ass. All Philippines acknowledge their Hispanic heritage, and they bond well with latin americans in all settings.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I work in the medical field so I've interacted with Filipino doctors and nurses and also grew up in the Catholic Church in the USA so I have and still interact with plenty of Filipinos and their culture is not similar to Portuguese culture or Spaniard culture you just must not look beyond a few superficial surface similarities.
Latinized doesn't mean they are exactly the same, just mean common cultural traits. its very sad i have to explain that to you.

even among other latin countries there are large differences in culture. Italy its not France for example, but the commonality remains.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
All of those languages are related. When the Roman Empire added Spain and Gaul to its domain. Spain and Gaul became important parts of the Roman Empire for resources and for troops. When Romans completed military service, Ex Roman soldiers and Auxiliaries would receive land parcels in Spain and Gaul. Plenty of Roman soldiers married Celtic women who lived in Spain and Gaul, thus ushering in Romanization. Or Celts became Roman by entering service for Rome. By time of the decline of the Western Roman Empire, much of the Celts in Spain and Gaul have become fully Romanized, and such tribes spoke different variation of Vulgar Latin. Spain and Italy sound alike phonetically, but grammar wise and structure, French and Italian are more alike in grammar. French and Portuguese sound more alike due to heavy Celtic and not Germanic influence on the nasal. The Germans adopted the languages of the people who they conquered in Spain and Gaul after the fall of Rome. The only words Germans added were command words, directions, and last names. Spanish names like Gonzalez, Rodriguez, Gutzman are all of German origin or French like Robert, Carl or Charles. The Latin word for war is bellum, Spanish, French Italian use the word Guerra/Guerre for war which is similar to werh in German for war in German. What I also find interesting is that Spanish and Italian phonetically sound like Greek. Maybe this had to due with Greeks living in Southern Italy and Western Spain. Same for Catalan in South of France.

Romanian. Romanian is probably connected with Dalmatian Latin spoken by Llyrian people. Dalmatian Latin is now extinct thanks to encroaching Slavic and Turkish language that dominated the area during Ottoman rule. Its amazing that African Latin, British Latin, and Dalmatian Latin all had died out. If these languages have survived, the cultures would have been more aligned with Spain France and Italy, and would have been overwhelmingly Catholic. The Norman speaking French conquered Britain in 1066 and added Vulgar Latin words from French to the English language. It looks like English was on its way becoming a Romance Language. If Spain would have conquered Britain during 1587. English would have fully transformed and become more of a Romance language, but would retain command structure that is Germanic.
true, i would add that English could be considered a creole language as its structure has been getting more simple with time. thats a controversial position but its does hold water.

good example with the word guerre and bellum. the term guerre (german) is prefered in french/spanish/italian but word bellum is not dead in the language as it is used in other froms like "beligerante" "belico" .

Old 04-06-2018, 07:34 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
Latinized doesn't mean they are exactly the same, just mean common cultural traits. its very sad i have to explain that to you.

even among other latin countries there are large differences in culture. Italy its not France for example, but the commonality remains.
Forget it, it's like trying to explain quantum physics to a 2 year old. Commonalities doesn't mean exactly the same or even similar cultures but there is an undeniable connection and familiarity. Those that don't get it are too wrapped up in themselves, don't waste any more of your breath (i.e. finger typing).

Old 04-06-2018, 07:59 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:

The common traits between Filipinos and Portuguese as well as Brazilian people are very superficial some of you guys are really stretching to find similarities, probably because you have the ridiculous pan-Hispanic/pan-Latino mindset. I probably understand this topic much better than you, it isn't necessary to explain it to me I'm able to process detailed data.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:25 AM

630 posts, read 525,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Forget it, it's like trying to explain quantum physics to a 2 year old. Commonalities doesn't mean exactly the same or even similar cultures but there is an undeniable connection and familiarity. Those that don't get it are too wrapped up in themselves, don't waste any more of your breath (i.e. finger typing).
If you're talking about commonalities between an Equatorian, a Bolivian, a Guatemalan and a Mexican I would agree with you. There's an undeniable common denominator. Now, if you bring a Filipino, a Belgian, an Italian, a Spaniard and a Moldovan into the picture, I do not see any commonality beyond the fact that they arose from Latin. You could also create the IndoEuropean languages brotherhood, why not?

Old 04-06-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The common traits between Filipinos and Portuguese as well as Brazilian people are very superficial some of you guys are really stretching to find similarities, probably because you have the ridiculous pan-Hispanic/pan-Latino mindset. I probably understand this topic much better than you, it isn't necessary to explain it to me I'm able to process detailed data.
Exactly. This pan-Hispanic stance is the result of assumptions, shortcuts, and wishful thinking. Some transpose the similarities between Latin Americans to all Romance-Speaker, assuming that is all they are. It's like saying that an elephant and a cat are closely related because they both walk on 4 legs. It's nothing but a fallacy, that may be explained by the fact they've never experienced other cultures from the inside, and also probably because it sort of turns the colonized into colonizers.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Exactly. This pan-Hispanic stance is the result of assumptions, shortcuts, and wishful thinking. Some transpose the similarities between Latin Americans to all Romance-Speaker, assuming that is all they are. It's like saying that an elephant and a cat are closely related because they both walk on 4 legs. It's nothing but a fallacy, that may be explained by the fact they've never experienced other cultures from the inside, and also probably because it sort of turns the colonized into colonizers.
I am 100% sure that you have multiple accounts to troll, and even quote yourself.
how do i know that?

it will be very difficult to find 2 persons that believe the nonsense you believe.

Last edited by upthere22; 04-06-2018 at 12:46 PM..

Old 04-06-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I am 100% that you have multiple accounts to troll, and even quote yourself.
how do i know that?

it will be very difficult to find 2 persons that believe the nonsense you believe.
I think the problem is that you put your own scenario is this conversation. The agreeing you claim exist only in the words you put in other people's mouth. Why don't you ask Filipinos and Europeans if they feel close to LA? As a European, I do not feel particularly close to Latin American cultures. Maybe that hurts your feelings, but that's the way it is. Why don't you work on accepting and valuing the uniqueness of your Latin American culture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas