Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Brazil part of Latin America
Yes 55 85.94%
No 7 10.94%
I'm not sure 2 3.13%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 11:28 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
[/b]

I agree some people from other groups in the USA do it also the so called "African-Americans" and the so called "White Americans" all have some pan-ethnic minded people that are vocal. Those that have that mindset I think are ridiculous they view the world through some pan-ethnic African and pan-ethnic White lens and insist on imposing their delusion on others not affected by their diseased thought processes.
I agree. Black Americans tend to do such constantly as well as white Americans. America has way too many angry race hustlers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 11:52 AM

1,153 posts, read 630,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrise View Post
After spending considerable time in South America I can assure you most South Americans don't care about this so called Latino identity.

The hispanic/Latino deal is an American invention, very important only in the US, as soon as you get out of there, a d you cross the border you quickly realize no one acknowledges such culture.

Only Americanized Latin Americans or Americans with south of the border heritages think they belong to some form of culture called LAtino culture.

Then they visit the homeland of their fathers and get the gringo treatment.
I agree. In some cases, they'll even identify with their region over the whole nationality, just like some Americans identify as Southerners, Californians, etc.

However, I do use "Latino" as a geographic/cultural region or a shortened version of Latin American, similar to how I use "Asian" even though Asian isn't as race.

But, to claim Filipinos are "Latino" is really stretching it because it's not in the region at all. I mean sure...You can claim there's some similarities but one could argue that Angolans, Ecuatorial Guineans, Mozambicans, and Cape Verdeans have similarities as well.

The idea of "Latino" having some racial/cultural basis is definitely an American thing. It should be considered a geographic term, referencing countries in the Americas colonized by Spain and Portugal(and possibly France). That's how I always used it anyway.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:18 PM

630 posts, read 525,408 times
Quote:
Many Latin Americans know nothing of Spain either. This whole "Latino thing" is largely exaggerated, mostly found in the US, in the real Latin American countries people don't even acknowledge themselves as Latinos and many find it rather annoying when so called "US Hispanics" try to impose their imaginary US made identity.
Pretty much. 99% of the time, anything "Latino" in the US is actually Mexican/Chicano, Central American, and locally, Cuban or PR.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:44 AM

836 posts, read 1,254,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Pretty much. 99% of the time, anything "Latino" in the US is actually Mexican/Chicano, Central American, and locally, Cuban or PR.
Not to mention Dominican!

Old 12-21-2023, 10:20 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Many Latin Americans know nothing of Spain either. This whole "Latino thing" is largely exaggerated, mostly found in the US, in the real Latin American countries people don't even acknowledge themselves as Latinos and many find it rather annoying when so called "US Hispanics" try to impose their imaginary US made identity.
Completely disagree,
in Latinamerica when people say "Latino" they mean "People that speak Spanish"
and they tend to see "latinos" as a huge group of people with similar culture even though they all look different.

Old 12-21-2023, 04:19 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I always figured it wasn't because they dont' speak Spanish at all, and most Brazilians don't really resemble typical Mestizo Latin Americans. However my workplace celebrated "Latin American heritage month" and included Brazil. I also see on here people seem comfortable referring to Brazil as part of Latin America. Now I'm confused
Hello? Portuguese is a Latin-based language. Why wouldn't Brazil be part of Latin America? Who cares who Brazilians or anyone else in the region resembles?

OP, didn't you have a year or half year in grade school dedicated to studying Latin America, our neighbors to the South? That used to be a fundamental part of grade school education.

Old 12-22-2023, 07:31 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I agree. Black Americans tend to do such constantly as well as white Americans. America has way too many angry race hustlers.
The recent history of the country explains much of that. I have met some people that told me when they were younger living in parts of the South, blacks were prohibited from going to certain places or even from what public fountain they could drink. Not that they read it in some history book, but they lived it.

I'm not excusing this behavior and would like for it to disappear, but its effects which still exist doesn't come out of thin air. People aren't born like that, they learn it and for many years it was supported and encouraged by the government of all Americans. Quite deplorable when you think about it, especially if it's your very own government that is doing the most harm to you. Then you go and pay them taxes so they can keep spitting at you and all the people that look like you. Despicable to say the least.

Things have changed a lot, but there is still work to be done.

Last edited by AntonioR; 12-22-2023 at 07:41 AM..

Old 12-28-2023, 01:09 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Yes.

Old 12-28-2023, 02:09 PM

85 posts, read 39,276 times
I'm sure it's already been noted up thread but the terms Latino and Hispanic are not interchangeable. Latino is cultural, and Hispanic is lingual. A non-Hispanic white could be a Brazilian Latino a South African or an Australian coal miner.

Old 01-02-2024, 12:09 PM

881 posts, read 921,376 times
The only ones who use the term "Hispanic" are Unitedstasians, and they give it strong cultural connotations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Completely disagree,
in Latinamerica when people say "Latino" they mean "People that speak Spanish"
and they tend to see "latinos" as a huge group of people with similar culture even though they all look different.
The vast majority of Latin Americans don't identify themselves as Latino. Maybe some Latin Americans in the US do, no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas