Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 AM

54 posts, read 104,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceD91 View Post
Gangs in Anchorage? I grew up in Anchorage and lived there most of my life. There are NO gangs. Just because a group of black teens or Samoan teens are hanging out doesn't mean it is a gang people! You all don't say anything when you see white kids hanging out in groups. Move to a real city then make a comparison. Anchorage is a relatively safe city.
You are correct about people in groups doesnt mean they are a gang, but your wrong there are gangs in anchorage. they dont stand out like they do in the states but they do exist and do stupid ****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 09:23 AM

54 posts, read 104,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingbig View Post
It seems like more and more reports are being broad-casted on tv networks and in the news about gangs in Anchorage. How many of you actually have had incidents with these so called gang affiliates personally or have had a close friend or family member been victims of them? The way I see it if you don't hang where these 'gang members' go ie pool hall, bars, clubs, certain neighborhoods, at the mall at certain hours and days then there wouldn't be any issues.
A person should be able to go eanywhere eanytime of day with no worries period...

Old 03-10-2011, 11:44 AM

103 posts, read 297,917 times
OLDGRUMPY: Do us all of a favor and jump off a bridge wouldya.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:48 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,289,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLGRUMPY View Post
A person should be able to go eanywhere eanytime of day with no worries period...
1. None of those words start with an e.
2. In a free society some people will make bad decisions and try to infringe on other people's liberties. They can only be caught and punished after they commit these crimes. Take responsibility for your own safety.
3. There's a lot governments could do to stop encouraging crime, but they're more interested in increasing their own power and making political points off of being "tough on crime" (which generally doesn't work, especially when they've created the black markets the criminals are profiting from in the first place).

Old 03-10-2011, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,671 times
I am a single parent and will be working full time when I move to Anchorage in a few months and I have 2 sons ages 12 & 16. Should I be worried? What area's are these gangs in? Where is a decent area I could move with my kids and not have to worry about this or worry about them trying to recruit my sons. I've found a place in mountain view but not sure if this is a great area. Any suggestions??

Old 03-10-2011, 07:57 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
I don't thing they operate by recruiting like they do in the lower 48. But I would not know. A different area would be good, maybe the Schwantes Apartments on Fireweed. They are pretty affordable. I used to live there.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:57 PM

57 posts, read 162,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by She Said What View Post
I am a single parent and will be working full time when I move to Anchorage in a few months and I have 2 sons ages 12 & 16. Should I be worried? What area's are these gangs in? Where is a decent area I could move with my kids and not have to worry about this or worry about them trying to recruit my sons. I've found a place in mountain view but not sure if this is a great area. Any suggestions??
Mountain View is the WORST area in the city. Highest crime rates. Worst schools. And the poorest area. But its not bad when compared to neighborhoods in the states, but to Anchorage's standards Mountain View is BAD!

Old 03-12-2011, 07:47 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by She Said What View Post
I agree- Mountain View is the area I would be most concerned about gang-like activity & the last place in town I would want my teenage boys hanging out in. I don't mean to scare you but there are better choices.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:47 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,786,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I agree- Mountain View is the area I would be most concerned about gang-like activity & the last place in town I would want my teenage boys hanging out in. I don't mean to scare you but there are better choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceD91 View Post
Mountain View is the WORST area in the city. Highest crime rates. Worst schools. And the poorest area. But its not bad when compared to neighborhoods in the states, but to Anchorage's standards Mountain View is BAD!

I am /was: A SINGLE parent also - I raised 4 sons by myself with no help; I have lived in mountain view & Fairview in the early 90's when it was very bad in both areas; I saw and experience first hand the prevelent atmosphere of each location; It was rather obvious! I would never ever let my sons out-side UN-supervised in those areas OR; any area for that matter. I control the input they receive on a daily basis. School was the only area I could not control what they were exposed to.

Things are much better now than they were in those areas some 20 years ago.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:36 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,786,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceD91
Gangs in Anchorage? I grew up in Anchorage and lived there most of my life. There are NO gangs. Just because a group of black teens or Samoan teens are hanging out doesn't mean it is a gang people! You all don't say anything when you see white kids hanging out in groups. Move to a real city then make a comparison. Anchorage is a relatively safe city.

You moved in 2004 ? where did you go to highschool; ??

I have heard numerous reports about lots of organized gang activity in 2003 @ Dimond High ??

Just wondering what you know from personal experience(s). Obviously not too much to make that type of statement. The special on History Channel did not show Blacks or Samoans; quite the opposite !! Just curious .. .. !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage