Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 12:23 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,227,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Gangs in Alaska?
LOL!!
Those ain't gangs.

You guys would c r i n g e if you saw South Central LA.
Not if it were visited in the approriate way with M1 tanks and straffing runs by apache gun ships. Its californias fault for tolerating such areas without bringing down the hammer. Its one thing to have areas to avoid at certian times and a completely other thing to have a whole city decend into 3rd world status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 12:39 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,999,446 times
StaggerLee22 still doesn;t understand that the Anchorage gang members came for a large part from South Central LA? Pathetic.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:29 AM

165 posts, read 552,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You can certainly give your opinion - but many have responded to this post and I believe they have demonstrated their are real gangs in Anchorage. Your post has merits - you never had problems - maybe you could let us know where those areas were. You were downtown - did you ever visit Mountain View, Fairview, or Muldoon. If so, what did you see there. I'm not trying to marginalize you - I simply want an informed post based on empirical data.
Went to Muldoon often since we lived very near it. Mountain View was close to my work. We lived on Base, so we had some shelter from what may have been there. I admit those areas, expecially, were ghetto, and my wife hated going there alone. I never seen or heard of gang related activity. Many of my co-workers and friends lived in those areas due to it's proximity to the Base and they never had any issues. There may be very prominent gang activity there, I just never seen it. I only brought up East St. Louis and Detroit because just driving through there you can see them obviously on the streets. If they are in Anchorage they are a bit more discrete. I feared those two cities, but never feared Muldoon or Mountain View, however I did carry a firearm every day as did many others.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:25 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,516,539 times
So a little quick research myself, shows that there are documented gangs in Anchorage.

According to the Bureau of Justice Assistance / Gang Section - the main gang area in Alaska is Anchorage and to a much lesser extent Fairbanks. I noticed that Barrow or the North Slope wasn't mentioned.

Seems like what was posted here is mentioned in the various articles/journals I read, that there was a much bigger problem several years ago. It is under better control at the present. Although the alarming part, for me, is that 74 different gangs have been identified as operating in the Anchorage area. This is alarming to ME because the population is so low that to have 74 different/active gangs seems like a lot. So I am thinking these must be very small gangs.

And you do have to hit gangs hard and fast to prevent then from getting a foothold. Unfortunately, it usually causes them to move somewhere else, but in this case NIMBY (Not In My BackYard) should be the model followed. Keep making them move. I wish I could stay, permanently stop them, but that just isn't going to happen.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:32 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
A tall tree and short piece of rope, to a few of these thugs they may get the point. But again the drugs, gangs, crime keep the cops in business and keep the money flowing in.
So you're telling me your gang (the Klan) is also active in Anchorage.......

Old 12-16-2011, 04:13 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,731,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
oh yeah...just DM Fred an ask him!

Old 12-16-2011, 05:14 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,227,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
They keep the gangs because it generates fear which justifies APD's bloated police force even though in reality no one is getting busted unless the bust generates revenue. They are not out to protect the average tax paying citizen they are out to do what ever generates revenue and if that means harrasing regular people they will do it.

The alaska state troopers are exponentially worse though.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:00 AM

16 posts, read 26,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd1v View Post
Gang activity is pretty much "Meh" in Anchorage. Lots of wanna-be's, very little real players. I have a New Jersey "Guido" that keeps trying to sell me "delivery service" that causes more heartburn.

I work in the same building as one of our local bail-bondsmen. You can always tell when the wanna-be's come in for a consultation. They look out of place in a halfway civilized environment.

As far as running into them? Avoid billiard halls, Dimond Center, and Fair/Mountainview and you about got it covered.
I'd agree with the wannabes. I grew up in NY so the environment up here is pretty tame in comparison. I don't avoid billiard halls, clubs and the like and haven't been bothered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage