Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 PM

868 posts, read 1,428,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I feel very close to God in the bathroom as I'm currently prepping for tomorrow's colonoscopy. The jug of chit I have to drink tells me God has a real nasty sense of humor.
This reminds me of a Depeche Mode song.

Hope all goes well tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,639,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Ugh, my sympathies. Hope there is no cancer or other unpleasant problems.
Thanks. Colon cancer killed my Dad so having one has become a necessary evil.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
This reminds me of a Depeche Mode song.

Hope all goes well tomorrow.
Thanks. I have no idea who Depeche Mode is. I'm guessing they don't play Beer Barrel Polka music.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:53 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,891,071 times
Quote:
Thanks. Colon cancer killed my Dad so having one has become a necessary evil.
My dad's colon cancer was caught in time but then he died of pancreatic cancer 15 years later, but those 15 extra years with him were wonderful!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I have no idea who Depeche Mode is. I'm guessing they don't play Beer Barrel Polka music.
You weren't into 80's music? You are missing out on so much to make fun of but I liked a lot of it.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
You weren't into 80's music? You are missing out on so much to make fun of but I liked a lot of it.
Of course I was. Went to see a Michael Jackson concert back when he was normal. It was great. Met Bruce Springsteen and had my picture taken with him. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Bruce Springsteen- Dancing In The Dark (Released May '84, Billboard #2) - YouTube

Old 04-24-2012, 09:29 PM

213 posts, read 404,399 times
Quote:
I feel very close to God in the bathroom as I'm currently prepping for tomorrow's colonoscopy. The jug of chit I have to drink tells me God has a real nasty sense of humor.
Recently watched the movie "Bridesmaids" with a friend. In one scene the bride-to-be and her bridesmaids all go to a questionable restaurant together and then on to a wedding shop to choose their dresses. While there, they all get raging cases of upset stomach and diarrhea and race to the bathroom to relieve themselves. Since the toilet is in constant use, one has to sit on the sink while she proclaims "It's coming out like lava!"

My friend and I laughed ourselves silly, because it really was hilarious. How easy it is to find others' discomfort in such a situation funny. So maybe it's understandable that God finds it funny to watch us crapping our insides out as we prepare for a colonoscopy.

Just had one of those things yesterday, so on the previous day I was going through all that miserable preparation myself. Thank God,everything seems to be okay. Hope the same is true for you.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:31 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,851,279 times
Quote:
Met Bruce Springsteen and had my picture taken with him. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.
No kidding? I always heard Bruce was kind of... well, not a jerk or anything, but I did hear he was really hard to work with. There was a good interview with Jimmy Iovine (the man who produced Born to Run) in Rolling Stone recently where he told a story about how it took 13 hours just to record the guitar solo on "Thunder Road". Oh, and Iovine took the train from New York to Baltimore to show Bruce the finished album, and Bruce played it through, took it off the record player, and threw it in the pool. Lol. Apparently he had a change of heart though, and it became the album they released.

You know, just some random Bruce info. The Boss, what a legend.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
No kidding? I always heard Bruce was kind of... well, not a jerk or anything, but I did hear he was really hard to work with. There was a good interview with Jimmy Iovine (the man who produced Born to Run) in Rolling Stone recently where he told a story about how it took 13 hours just to record the guitar solo on "Thunder Road". Oh, and Iovine took the train from New York to Baltimore to show Bruce the finished album, and Bruce played it through, took it off the record player, and threw it in the pool. Lol. Apparently he had a change of heart though, and it became the album they released.

You know, just some random Bruce info. The Boss, what a legend.
I guess we are always our worst critic. I can't stand to hear my voice recorded or pictures of me.

I heard a good Bruce story, some people were just hanging out and he showed up and played music or sang-something like that.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:52 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,851,279 times
Yeah, you're dead on. And you know, I play a lot of music, and while I make quite a practice of recording my instrumental work, I refuse to hear my own voice, whether talking or singing. I love to sing, but I never like it when I hear it played back on a recording. You know, I think a large part of being a musician (or any kind of artist) is being able to recognize your own strengths and weaknesses, and really, there's nothing worse than a bad musician who doesn't know how bad he/she is. Because at that point, you're making it hard on your audience, and you're embarrassing yourself. Some of the greatest musicians of all time (Mstislav Rostropovich, the cello master, for example) were brutally honest with their students, because it simply doesn't do to give someone a false sense of greatness. As of now, I'm no singer, and I know it.

Who knows though; you do need to have self-confidence and audacity to get anywhere in the performing arts, so being too sheepish isn't good either. I don't mean to say that a bad musician cannot become a good musician, but in the meantime, that person probably should not be playing too many concerts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage