Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 04:26 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I feel very close to God in the bathroom as I'm currently prepping for tomorrow's colonoscopy. The jug of chit I have to drink tells me God has a real nasty sense of humor.
Hope everything came out OK...

I think we all dread that necessary test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 06:25 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,639,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Hope everything came out OK...

I think we all dread that necessary test.
Found one small polyp which he removed and I'll find out in a few days if its a problem. Odds are it won't be. Also found a number of cigarette butts and an old beer can. Took those out as well.

All is good.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:33 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,630,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
But see, that's the thing. They get the "excitement" of moving to a new home but in the process they're completely ruining it for the people who already live here. It sucks. How can a person be happy about that?
But it's that way everywhere. Just because someone was born somewhere they don't somehow have more "rights" to that place than others who want to move there. I see cars all over the place here in Seattle from Alaska- should I take up an attitude that they don't belong here, ask them to go back "home" because they are ruining Seattle for the rest of us who were here before they came?

Old 05-01-2012, 02:55 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,891,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
But it's that way everywhere. Just because someone was born somewhere they don't somehow have more "rights" to that place than others who want to move there. I see cars all over the place here in Seattle from Alaska- should I take up an attitude that they don't belong here, ask them to go back "home" because they are ruining Seattle for the rest of us who were here before they came?
Heck, in Delta Junction when I was growing up we were all thrilled to get new kids, and the new kids usually became very popular right away. What I have seen happening to Anchorage is that it has lost a lot of it's unique Alaska nature-not from newcomers but from the homogenization of the businesses. That's what I love about Gwennie's Restaurant. You know you're in an Alaskan restaurant when you eat there. Or for a bar, Chilkoot Charlies is very quirky and Alaskan.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:03 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,639,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Oddly enough I agree with you that the PFD requirements ought to change - to at least 5 years residence before a person becomes eligible.
Speaking of PFDs, is there any way you can get one (maybe two) prior to moving to Alaska to help offset the costs of relocating to Alaska?

If not, then I'll probably have to take my talents elsewhere.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:56 PM

275 posts, read 580,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Speaking of PFDs, is there any way you can get one (maybe two) prior to moving to Alaska to help offset the costs of relocating to Alaska?

If not, then I'll probably have to take my talents elsewhere.
Sure!!!
Just do what this couple did.

Family claimed PFD checks while living in Hawaii, state charges: Crime | Alaska news at adn.com

Old 05-04-2012, 12:35 AM

868 posts, read 1,428,725 times
Someone please assist me.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:43 AM

4 posts, read 5,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I look at it like this: My son was born in Palmer and grew up between Alaska and Oregon, pretty much the same way that I did. Like a lot of kids born in Alaska, he chose to live somewhere else when he reached adulthood; his career aspirations don't fit in with what Alaska has to offer. Living in Sicilia was one of the best things that ever happened in his life. For every native-born Alaskan who moves Outside, there's someone like you who comes to take their place.

Alaska has a long history involving people who came up to simply take what they could and hotfoot it back to wherever they came from as soon as they lined their pockets with loot. It started with the fur trade way back over a century and a half ago -- funny thing is, is that the fur traders knew that the gold was there, but disregarded it because the fur was so much more valuable. When the fur was gone, the gold rushes happened, and those who made bank were on the first boat south...

and then there was oil, and they came back in droves. The timber booms happened -- I remember seeing trailers parked on the side of the gravel highway on POW because people had come up on spec. They made their money and left.

There's something different about the people who are coming to Alaska now. The milk-and-honey days are over. No one's coming up anymore thinking it's a fast cash answer; the people who are moving up are doing so because they actually want to live in Alaska rather than take what they can from it and then go to wherever home may be...

and I think that's absolutely great. For the first time in Alaska's history, people are moving up thinking about how they can build good lives in the state instead of grubbing for money. The state is winning out because quality young people like ShipofFools and Tigre want to live In AK simply for what it is rather than what they can take from it. People like this are possibly one of the best resources that the state has. Don't look down on them; the ones that make it in AK are the cream of the -48 crop.
Thank you! Our family may be relocating up there and rather than complaining (with all the wonderful things I've heard) we are thrilled to be starting a new life there! It's a compliment :-) We are determined to make it there!

Old 05-12-2012, 07:39 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,426,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
FWIW you see AK plates all over the country in large part because people are trying to keep their PFD eligibility. Out of state plates aren't all that common here for that reason; people do move here to cash in.

The creeping Generica is super tragic no matter where it happens. Go almost anywhere in the US and you see the same junky strip mall crap everywhere. People come up here and start bitching about why we don't have this or that store - why go somewhere new if you just want it to be just like where you came from?

The newbies to Alaska don't want to live in Alaska, they just want to SAY they live in Alaska without actually having to change their lifestyle at all, so they change things here to suit them. THAT is what makes newcomers unwelcome.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:42 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,426,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceD91 View Post
The newcomers brought a new Olive Garden here for crying out loud! We did not need an Olive Garden! There are PLENTY of family-owned Italian restaurants that I guarantee you make better Italian fare than the plates of garbage Olive Garden is serving! STOP TRYING TO MAKE MY HOMETOWN LIKE THE DUMPY COMMERCIAL TOWN YOU PEOPLE CAME FROM!
Wow, I hadn't even read this comment when I posted mine above. I completely agree. This dumpy commercial crap (great way to put it) is just gross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage