Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 PM

868 posts, read 1,428,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceD91 View Post
Southerners are some of the rudest people I have met. They are very focused on race also, which I find quite weird, being that I grew up in AK and people there are judged moreso on the content of their character and not the color of their skin.
I've heard a lot of people born and raised in Alaska make some pretty disparaging comments about the Native population. Racism is ugly, but it's not the sole province of southerners, and you are not the only one who has been victimized by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 08:50 PM

57 posts, read 162,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
A lot of people say the same thing about Anchorage.

You're a hypocrite and your attitude stinks, and if you want other people to respect "your" home state and its "real" residents, it might behoove you to grant them the same courtesy.
I don't care anymore. I have seriously been debating NOT coming back to AK after I graduate for the simple fact that it has changed so much and becoming like every other part of the U.S. So what's the point? I am done going back and forth with you people. The Anchorage thread is just RIDICULOUS!

Old 04-23-2012, 08:56 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,031,223 times
Quote:
I grew up in AK and people there are judged moreso on the content of their character and not the color of their skin.
Yet the whole point of your rants here has been to judge others based on their Geographic Location of Birth, not on their character. Thus by your very own definition, you are not a "real" Alaskan.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 PM

58 posts, read 128,736 times
Quote:
I don't care anymore. I have seriously been debating NOT coming back to AK after I graduate for the simple fact that it has changed so much and becoming like every other part of the U.S. So what's the point? I am done going back and forth with you people. The Anchorage thread is just RIDICULOUS!
Yes it is, and one person has added more to this ridiculous conversation than anyone else.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 PM

868 posts, read 1,428,725 times
Quote:
That is your choice, of course. But it seems to me that you are very young to be so angered by the fact that places change. They do, you know, with or without an influx of newcomers. Believe it or not, a worse thing can happen when communities die because all the young people move away and nobody comes along to replace them. Seeing Anchorage grow may be difficult, but have you ever lived in a place that became a ghost town, with all opportunity gone and the infrastructure crumbling from neglect? That isn't pretty, either.

If you do choose not to return to Alaska, I hope, as I have said before, that you will find your new neighbors more welcoming than you have been to new Alaskans.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,891,071 times
I'm a real Alaskan by your standards, Maurice, but I certainly don't begrudge newcomers. Some of the people I have "met" on this forum are more Alaskan than I am. I've never mushed a dog or panned for gold or had to use an outhouse long-term or lived in a dry cabin or hiked in the mountains to get beautiful pictures. If you'd remember your history, the PFD was set up originally to only be for long-term residents but was overturned by the court. If anyone is stupid enough to think the PFD is enough money to make up for the high cost of living, more power to them.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:41 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,865,159 times
Maurice if I remember right you were waiting for your PFD to arrive at your Grandma's house? It also does not take more than a 6th-grade education to realize anyone is not going to pay off "big" debts with a PFD. Do you realize a lot of revenue comes from outsiders coming to visit? If they all stayed home, especially with oil taking a dump, things probably wouldn't be the same either. I wonder how much in your young years you have been away from Anchorage? I have a niece that grew up on the Kenai Peninsula, went to school in Washington for 6 months and had to go back home. She then transferred to FB and is now working for F&G in Dutch Harbor, she had to stay in AK. Maybe this experience with school in GA is eye-opening as to how some things are different in AK and how other things aren't? It could be reality and having different experiences in different places are changing your mind about where you were raised? Some may be good, some bad, but that comes with age and experience, something most of the people that post here have. We all for the most part don't like things to change, but that is inevitable. I hope you enjoy your trip home with your friend

Last edited by Grannysroost; 04-23-2012 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: Because....

Old 04-23-2012, 11:48 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,891,071 times
Quote:
My mother was born in Fairbanks, Alaska in 1972 and graduated from Lathrop High School C/O 1990. Like I said I am a REAL ALASKAN! You people moved to MY STATE at a chance of a better life! Quit trying to change MY STATE!
Geez, I'm older than your mother. You have no clue what Alaska was like in the older days. The only people who have the rights to complain about people moving here and changing things are the Natives. Why did your mom's parents move here?

Fairbanks hasn't changed much, it's just lost a lot of the older businesses and replaced them with a new shopping area on Johanson. Is that better than an area with economic growth? Or perhaps my hometown which looks essentially the same as it did in the 70's, but has fewer bars and more churches. Very few jobs here at all, unless you work for a government contractor or at the gold mine. Most of the people I grew up with have left.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:55 PM

23 posts, read 53,743 times
Quote:
WHINY ASS! STAY GONE. Oh wait, I meant to say that.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:47 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,870,524 times
Quote:
You're from Anchorage, not some charming pristine little out-of-the-way corner of the state. And the big population influx to Anchorage happened before you were even born, with the growth rate now way down from what it was in the 90s. So maybe take it down a notch. You go away for a while and come back, and things are different. The world spins on without you. That's how life works and realizing that is part of growing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage