Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 12:49 AM

16 posts, read 24,197 times

Advertisements

Lol too funny it is crowded. People go where the jobs are I guess. We have a really good economy here not touched by L 48 recession. Not everyone is a die hard Alaskan and hey, they are spending their $$ here that's a good thing. I would be more concerned if people were moving out because of bad economy. Most Alaskans are transplants. I'm a fifth generation Californian, been here for 9 years almost 10 consider myself American no loyalty to Alaska because I won't spend the rest of my life here if my plan goes accordingly. CA has gone to the dumps I will never live there again it is sad when your home state gets over run by illegals at least these "immigrants" are American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 05:38 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,602,717 times
I'm a future transplant, myself. The geography and culture of your state is stunning!

Old 11-29-2012, 12:12 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,426,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
I think the Inupiak, Yupik, Aleuts, and many others who have been in Alaska since time immemorial said the same thing when the whites wouldn't stop arriving, stealing their land, and slaughtering their game for profit.

Given you are in Alaska, land where the whites are the invaders, your post's irony is just overwhelming.

You should hit up a library for a lesson on who was where first.
Why do you assume I'm white?

Old 11-29-2012, 06:18 AM

287 posts, read 599,394 times
Any time you live in a city, you're going to get people moving in - it's called growth and it sucks...

The infrastructure (roads, stores and housing) are ALWAYS behind the growth pattern - and that makes it suck even more.

If you don't want to deal with people - don't live in a city, move to a small town... Now is where you complain about how you like having all the conveniences of a big(ger) city and don't think you should have to move to a small town... Cities grow or die - it's just the way it is. Deal with it, or move.

I grew up in Maine... the bottom of the plate says "Vacationland" what do you think that was like for "locals"...

Old 12-10-2012, 10:52 PM

275 posts, read 416,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
It can't just be me - does anyone else think there are way too many newcomers in Anchorage now? It seems like everyone I meet is from Texas or the Midwest. Is that why the city seems so damn crowded these days; an influx of outsiders? What's the deal?

It probably seems like I'm a total grouch, but these people always act like I should be THRILLED that they moved to my town, and just fascinated by the fact that they up and moved to Alaska. Most of the time they are nice people but dang, Anchorage has changed so much in the last 10 years and I think it's because we have way too many people here. So no, I'm not thrilled to see you move here. I get annoyed when you call yourselves "Alaskans" having been here one year. I am tired of meeting people who didn't grow up here, it's changing the character of the region.

Actually, it already has changed the character of the region. I bet it can't be saved at this point.

Can we hang out a "no vacancy" sign already?
I can sympathize, mizzile. I'm a native Texan, and every day I read and hear stories about all the people moving to Texas because of economic opportunities. Many of them call themselves Texans upon arrival. Pardon me while I chuckle about that!

In all seriousness, we're all Americans and have the right to live in whatever state we choose, so any American is free to roam and settle in any of our fabulous 50 states. Texas is a very welcoming state with friendly people. Some of the newcomers bring great new ideas and enrich an already diverse and bustling culture. There's good and bad in having newcomers to your state and city.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:14 PM

63 posts, read 168,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I'm a future transplant, myself. The geography and culture of your state is stunning!
You can't come in I won't let you!

Old 12-13-2012, 02:42 PM

LOL…

Can't stop me…

Old 12-13-2012, 02:52 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,880,285 times
Always interesting reading ... LOL... can't stop me either...

Old 12-13-2012, 03:43 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
You can't come in I won't let you!
What are you going to do, file a restraining order?

Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
What are you going to do, file a restraining order?
I hope not…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage