Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 07:42 AM

49 posts, read 106,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
It can't just be me - does anyone else think there are way too many newcomers in Anchorage now? It seems like everyone I meet is from Texas or the Midwest. Is that why the city seems so damn crowded these days; an influx of outsiders? What's the deal?

It probably seems like I'm a total grouch, but these people always act like I should be THRILLED that they moved to my town, and just fascinated by the fact that they up and moved to Alaska. Most of the time they are nice people but dang, Anchorage has changed so much in the last 10 years and I think it's because we have way too many people here. So no, I'm not thrilled to see you move here. I get annoyed when you call yourselves "Alaskans" having been here one year. I am tired of meeting people who didn't grow up here, it's changing the character of the region.

Actually, it already has changed the character of the region. I bet it can't be saved at this point.

Can we hang out a "no vacancy" sign already?

wow... we feel EXACTLY the same here in Texas! This state has been over run with Californians and North Easterners who messed up their beautiful states and then jumped the sinking ship to only come here where we've kept it strong for years and infuse their failed ideas. Texas won't be a red state much longer because of all the libs moving in and the unskilled immigrants.

I say we hang the NO VACANCY sign... right after we show up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 01:11 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,233,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
A small group of people are doing this. However, this is the question. Does Vladimir Putin or Dmitri Medvedev even care? And will the USA stand for this? The USA does have a large army.
I love vodka, the Russian language, the mig 29, Russian family law, etc. The communism sucks but is it really that much different than what we have here with fed tax, state tax, sales tax, property tax, etc etc, I just paid a 5500 tax bill this year because I had 1 on my withholding.

I am not sure we would notice any difference other than men not being rail roaded in family law courts.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:33 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,053,295 times
The irony and the ignorance of people who are saying "we're full" is mind-boggling. Pot meet kettle!

They're coming to your state exactly the way your your family got there.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:24 PM

56 posts, read 110,182 times
Were full here in Alaska? Has anyone driven to Fairbanks lately?! ARE YOU SERIOUS? I know its Danali national park... but really looking around I am betting we could fit a few new people in. These are American Pioneers were talking about here. People who come here seeking a different life, a better life. And what... we dont want to share? As if there arent enough Alaskan resources to go around. Yes it changes the state, the state will always be in flux and changing... this is just life. Maybe the long winters here are getting to you.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:53 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,259,344 times
I really do have to laugh at what AK calls long winters, blaa, boring winters is what I saw in 4 years there. Anchorage, and the Mat-Su (excluding Valdez, but even them to an extent) have no clue what snow is.
As far as the area being full? To some extent yes, but if the state would get off their asses and build some roads out, there wouldn't be an issue. And don't anyone give me crap about the mountain blocking the building for roads, 'cause that's bull, it's been done for hundreds of years on other countries with much larger mountains.
Come summer, yes, it feels quite "full" and hard to get away from people without other means then a car or hiking 20+ miles. The trails are full.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:58 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,233,222 times
Only anchorage is full not Alaska. If you look at the rental market right now in anch I think its something like 2% vacancy so the prices for a little apartment are well over $1000. The alternative is moving to the valley but the commute is brutal, puts a lot of wear and tear on your vehical, time out of your day and the traffic is often times aweful.

I am hoping I can find a new apt closer to mid town but its not looking good unless I want to go broke renting a small apt, I might try to hunker down where I am until I can buy some land in anch and build something but that will take a while.

It really is full here, anchorage is sandwiched between the water, mountians and federal lands. They do have roads going up to bear valley but who wants to live up there, that's almost worse than driving in from the valley.

The probably is all the good jobs are concentrated in mid town or down town which are the most crowded areas, none of the buisnesses will move office buildings or fab shops to areas where there is more land and housing.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:23 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,621,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
but if the state would get off their asses and build some roads out, there wouldn't be an issue. And don't anyone give me crap about the mountain blocking the building for roads, 'cause that's bull, it's been done for hundreds of years on other countries with much larger mountains.
Come summer, yes, it feels quite "full" and hard to get away from people without other means then a car or hiking 20+ miles. The trails are full.
The state has been trying to build roads... Roads out of Juneau, roads to Nome or other parts or Western Alaska... and the environmentalists or federal government keeps blockin' 'em.

Opponents of Alaska wilderness road enlist ex-secretary Babbitt | McClatchy

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/20/op...ende.html?_r=0

Roads to Resources program not good example of responsible state spending | Homer News

Old 07-08-2013, 12:07 PM

56 posts, read 110,182 times
I think everyone here resents the crazy environmentalists and the Feds owning all the land. I used to be able to look out of my condo.. sandwiched in a condo community ... behind a trailer park...(that rents for $1850 a month btw) at the mountains. Miles and miles and miles of unused land that *could be used to relieve the housing problem here in Anchorage. But alas. They may disturb a few moose. Possibly a bear.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:10 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,602,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativelytaylored View Post
I think everyone here resents the crazy environmentalists and the Feds owning all the land. I used to be able to look out of my condo.. sandwiched in a condo community ... behind a trailer park...(that rents for $1850 a month btw) at the mountains. Miles and miles and miles of unused land that *could be used to relieve the housing problem here in Anchorage. But alas. They may disturb a few moose. Possibly a bear.
There is a lot of uncertainty in the world today…

Old 07-08-2013, 10:12 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,293,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
I really do have to laugh at what AK calls long winters, blaa, boring winters is what I saw in 4 years there. Anchorage, and the Mat-Su (excluding Valdez, but even them to an extent) have no clue what snow is.
Nephler, I do like you, but right here you have no idea what you're talking about. First, we're not in the Mat-Su Valley or anywhere near it. Second, you've never even been here. Third, our snow would make people in the Michigan snowbelt cry for their mommies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage