Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 03:00 PM

73,062 posts, read 62,670,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Doesn't matter what anyone living in Anchorage thinks of Anchorage because the Russians are soon going to take the whole shebang back... Russian Orthodox Group Wants Alaska Back

Unless you like vodka, you might just as well get out now.
A small group of people are doing this. However, this is the question. Does Vladimir Putin or Dmitri Medvedev even care? And will the USA stand for this? The USA does have a large army.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 09:14 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,388,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Doesn't matter what anyone living in Anchorage thinks of Anchorage because the Russians are soon going to take the whole shebang back... Russian Orthodox Group Wants Alaska Back

Unless you like vodka, you might just as well get out now.
Yeah and I want the house back that my Mom and Dad sold in 1967 for only $5,000. I wasn't asked my opinion at the time and I disagree with the upgrades and the color the new (new, new, new) owners have painted it.

This kind of thing goes on all the time.
I won't list all of the similar movements from all corners of the globe because it will take this thread in the wrong direction. The fact that a group of people believe a foolish thing doesn't make it true or inevitable. Wanting and having are not the same things.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:26 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,382,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrewmeister View Post
Yeah Austin has turned into a big load in the diaper... prime example of a city outgrowing its infrastructure...
No sh*t! (<-- yes, pun intended!) Austin is rapidly turning into a clusterf*ck of the First Order, and yes, this is my hometown I'm talking about.

My advice to those who live in Anchorage: enjoy what you do have while you still have it. Cherish every decades-old mom-n'-pop establishment, whatever that may be. Appreciate your parks and green spaces while you have them. Remember that as "bad" as the traffic is in Anchorage, you probably don't spend more than two or three hours idling on a jam-packed highway getting to and from your workplace like a lot of people do.

Finally, if you have a clear vision of what you want Anchorage to become -- or what you want to avoid -- become active in local politics. Run for City Council, or get involved with work groups.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,702,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
No sh*t! (<-- yes, pun intended!) Austin is rapidly turning into a clusterf*ck of the First Order, and yes, this is my hometown I'm talking about.

My advice to those who live in Anchorage: enjoy what you do have while you still have it. Cherish every decades-old mom-n'-pop establishment, whatever that may be. Appreciate your parks and green spaces while you have them. Remember that as "bad" as the traffic is in Anchorage, you probably don't spend more than two or three hours idling on a jam-packed highway getting to and from your workplace like a lot of people do.

Finally, if you have a clear vision of what you want Anchorage to become -- or what you want to avoid -- become active in local politics. Run for City Council, or get involved with work groups.
Then those people should just move. Cause that would just be waisting lifes precious moments. Why anyone would want to live like a sardine packed in a can of mustard sauce is beyond me.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:03 AM

75 posts, read 87,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa78703 View Post
no sh*t! (<-- yes, pun intended!) austin is rapidly turning into a clusterf*ck of the first order, and yes, this is my hometown i'm talking about.

My advice to those who live in anchorage: Enjoy what you do have while you still have it. Cherish every decades-old mom-n'-pop establishment, whatever that may be. Appreciate your parks and green spaces while you have them. Remember that as "bad" as the traffic is in anchorage, you probably don't spend more than two or three hours idling on a jam-packed highway getting to and from your workplace like a lot of people do.

finally, if you have a clear vision of what you want anchorage to become -- or what you want to avoid -- become active in local politics. Run for city council, or get involved with work groups.
+1

Old 04-05-2013, 11:44 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,426,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post

And, sorry OP, I'm headed for AK in a few weeks to check out moving there. I have many friends there and several job prospects.
Make sure you swing back by to tell us about how landlords here are such mean evil bastards and why are rents so high in Anchorage and why won't anyone allow pets and why can't you find a decent place to rent and please oh please Mizzile won't you rent me one of your units at below market value because every place else is run by slumlords and you don't want to spend three hours a day commuting from the Valley which is the only place you can find an affordable rental.

Then don't let the door hit you in the ass three years later when you figure out you can't hack the winters and the high cost of living and the scary bears and the mosquitoes and ******* Alaskan drivers and the fact that we don't have Chipotle or your other favorite chain restaurant, and head back to Arizona or what have you. That's usually about how long it takes.

But all's not lost, you can then start a blog about what an expert Alaskan you are. That seems to be the current fashion among ex-Alaskans or people who have lived here for two months.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:55 PM

471 posts, read 1,328,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Make sure you swing back by to tell us about how landlords here are such mean evil bastards and why are rents so high in Anchorage and why won't anyone allow pets and why can't you find a decent place to rent and please oh please Mizzile won't you rent me one of your units at below market value because every place else is run by slumlords and you don't want to spend three hours a day commuting from the Valley which is the only place you can find an affordable rental.

Then don't let the door hit you in the ass three years later when you figure out you can't hack the winters and the high cost of living and the scary bears and the mosquitoes and ******* Alaskan drivers and the fact that we don't have Chipotle or your other favorite chain restaurant, and head back to Arizona or what have you. That's usually about how long it takes.

But all's not lost, you can then start a blog about what an expert Alaskan you are. That seems to be the current fashion among ex-Alaskans or people who have lived here for two months.
Floyd,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, is that you?

Old 04-05-2013, 03:38 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,132,596 times
Hope no one gets mad that I'm moving up that way in 49 days.

Ooos, math error. 56 days!!!

Old 04-05-2013, 03:42 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,638,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongazid View Post
Floyd,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, is that you?
No, that's the writing of a woman. Where is Floyd, I enjoyed his posts. They were informative, something mine aren't.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:54 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,831,772 times
A certain other member who is also no longer with us drove him away, I believe. Don't take my word for it, that's just what I always thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage