Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 08:39 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

It's a free nation. People are free to live wherever they please. If a person from the lower 48 decides to live in Anchorage, then it is that person's right to do so. I have heard of a similar thread basically complaining about people from "the outside" going to Alaska to live. I say the only way you can keep a person from living in a certain state is to ban people from going there. Last time I checked, Alaska is an American state, so any American citizen can be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 10:35 AM

44 posts, read 86,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It's a free nation. People are free to live wherever they please. If a person from the lower 48 decides to live in Anchorage, then it is that person's right to do so. I have heard of a similar thread basically complaining about people from "the outside" going to Alaska to live. I say the only way you can keep a person from living in a certain state is to ban people from going there. Last time I checked, Alaska is an American state, so any American citizen can be there.
Want to go there and meet the real Alaskan Culture, their customs, the real people, their food..etc....I want to now Alaska and from what i can see and people telling me is nothing less than a Paradise. please understand that we do not have that nature in most of the 48 states. So let me find out what is so precious about Alaska that people from all over the world talk about. Thank you!!

Old 03-16-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracing57 View Post
Want to go there and meet the real Alaskan Culture, their customs, the real people, their food..etc....I want to now Alaska and from what i can see and people telling me is nothing less than a Paradise. please understand that we do not have that nature in most of the 48 states. So let me find out what is so precious about Alaska that people from all over the world talk about. Thank you!!
I also want to go to Alaska as well. I have never been either. We all have that right to go to Alaska and see for ourselves. Some people may not want people from "the outside" going to Alaska, but this is a free nation. We both have the right to there, or anywhere else in this nation. That is not only a Constitutional right, but a human right as well.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:52 PM

7 posts, read 7,892 times
I personally am sick of these people who complain about newcomers changing everything. So fricken what? moving across the country is not easy, it's a big deal. Isn't that what we always praise our "Alaskan ancestors" for, making a big change my moving up here to the "great outdoors," and living in the wild while the build log cabins for themselves and whittle away at wood for hours without another a single soul around for miles? Also, you just show how snobbish and small minded you are, by acting like "these" people who move up here are in a different class from you just because they weren't born and raised here. They aren't aliens from outer space! It's not really healthy to only and always be around ppl that think only like you, and never broaden your world view. This is what hicks and trailer trash are made fun of. But if you'd like to live in your own little Alaskan version of Honey Boo Boo that's your right, just don't spread your small mindedness around by breeding.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falaskan View Post
I personally am sick of these people who complain about newcomers changing everything. So fricken what? moving across the country is not easy, it's a big deal. Isn't that what we always praise our "Alaskan ancestors" for, making a big change my moving up here to the "great outdoors," and living in the wild while the build log cabins for themselves and whittle away at wood for hours without another a single soul around for miles? Also, you just show how snobbish and small minded you are, by acting like "these" people who move up here are in a different class from you just because they weren't born and raised here. They aren't aliens from outer space! It's not really healthy to only and always be around ppl that think only like you, and never broaden your world view. This is what hicks and trailer trash are made fun of. But if you'd like to live in your own little Alaskan version of Honey Boo Boo that's your right, just don't spread your small mindedness around by breeding.
I feel the same way. And it isn't just limited to Alaska. I live in the Atlanta area and there are some people complaining about "Yankees" moving in, and you'll here the same complaints in North Carolina as well. If I want to be somewhere in this nation, anywhere, it is my right. If you want to live in any place in the USA, it is your choice. Whenever I hear people complain about people moving to a particular place, the first thought that comes to my mind is "So you judge someone based on where they are from? You don't respect a person's right to be where they want to be"?

Also, those persons who complain about people moving to Alaska are exercising hypocrisy. People who live in Alaska now, they are descended from people who came from somewhere else.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:11 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,991 times
I live in New Mexico now after spending most of my first 40 years in Fairbanks. Folks here also complain about people moving here and wanting to change things; it is a common refrain in many places.

IMO, people move to places like Alaska, New Mexico and other "unique" locations because it is different there, and most of them want to experience that uniqueness. What irritates some of us is when new arrivals, after moving because they wanted someplace different, start missing stuff they had in their last place and want it to be more like where they came from. Alaska, New Mexico, ..., are not like other places and trying to change them to be like these other places is a pretty (stupid, silly, arrogant, offensive or whatever other adjective you want to apply) idea. Alaska is Alaska because it is fundamentally different from most other places, in climate, culture and attitude. New Mexico has similar fundamental differences to most of the rest of the country. I would never presume, in Alaska, New Mexico or any other place, to move there and then tell locals we need to change this and that because those were so much better where I came from.

That doesn't mean that newcomers can't or shouldn't, over time, work to integrate themselves into their new place and help contribute to its evolution into an even better place. But unfortunately that's not the attitude that some newcomers arrive with.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:12 PM

287 posts, read 599,083 times
People are just sick of the endless traffic jams, overcrowding and quite frankly the ignorance that seems to be going on in "other" big cities and want to move somewhere that they can still have the same things they have now without the BS that takes away from their quality of life...

Ever hear someone quit a job saying "I don't need this B___ S___ anymore..." well, moving to another place that has a slower pace is the same thing.

Here's a suggestion - if you don't want people moving to your city, stay off forums like this bragging about how good it is to live there. But I doubt it will work because you can't stop everyone else that is doing it.

No one is ever going to be able to stop ANYONE from moving - so why waste your time worrying about the people that did it and if they claim to be "Alaskans" or not... Is this REALLY what you spend your time worrying about? Just because you're an Alaskan, chances are very, very good that your parents weren't...

Old 03-27-2013, 06:18 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
That doesn't mean that newcomers can't or shouldn't, over time, work to integrate themselves into their new place and help contribute to its evolution into an even better place. But unfortunately that's not the attitude that some newcomers arrive with.
There's a bunch of threads going on in the Austin forum (where I'm from) that address this very topic. Austin is a prime example of how growth and change doesn't necessarily equal "progress."

I lived in Anchorage for a brief time, and I loved almost everything about it, except for my ex-husband (and some of those colder winter days). I wouldn't want a single thing about it to change. I never once thought, "Oh, but only if it had more malls" or "I wish there was more mixed used construction going on" or "Dang, why don't they widen these highways!" When these newcomers get notions that their way of doing things is better -- without bothering to understand the nuances of a city or the sensibilities of its inhabitants -- that's when everything goes to hell in a handbag.

I would love to vacation in Anchorage sometime soon. Please don't tell me that it's turned generic, like Austin has.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:32 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,633,582 times
Doesn't matter what anyone living in Anchorage thinks of Anchorage because the Russians are soon going to take the whole shebang back... Russian Orthodox Group Wants Alaska Back

Unless you like vodka, you might just as well get out now.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:59 PM

287 posts, read 599,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
There's a bunch of threads going on in the Austin forum (where I'm from) that address this very topic. Austin is a prime example of how growth and change doesn't necessarily equal "progress."

I lived in Anchorage for a brief time, and I loved almost everything about it, except for my ex-husband (and some of those colder winter days). I wouldn't want a single thing about it to change. I never once thought, "Oh, but only if it had more malls" or "I wish there was more mixed used construction going on" or "Dang, why don't they widen these highways!" When these newcomers get notions that their way of doing things is better -- without bothering to understand the nuances of a city or the sensibilities of its inhabitants -- that's when everything goes to hell in a handbag.

I would love to vacation in Anchorage sometime soon. Please don't tell me that it's turned generic, like Austin has.
Yeah Austin has turned into a big load in the diaper... prime example of a city outgrowing its infrastructure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage