Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 03:12 PM

43 posts, read 152,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativetexasgal View Post
I can sympathize, mizzile. I'm a native Texan, and every day I read and hear stories about all the people moving to Texas because of economic opportunities. Many of them call themselves Texans upon arrival. Pardon me while I chuckle about that!

In all seriousness, we're all Americans and have the right to live in whatever state we choose, so any American is free to roam and settle in any of our fabulous 50 states. Texas is a very welcoming state with friendly people. Some of the newcomers bring great new ideas and enrich an already diverse and bustling culture. There's good and bad in having newcomers to your state and city.

I'll agree with this, my recent visit to Austin & Houston was very pleasent, the people there are much friendlier than up here & the weather was amazing.

You'll find that in "alaska" being called a "native" is almost an insult, which was a shock for me 14 years ago when I first moved, as in Oregon (where I came from) being "native" was a point of pride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 11:36 PM

339 posts, read 589,078 times
Couldn't rep ya but loved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
What are you going to do, file a restraining order?

Old 12-26-2012, 04:00 PM

11 posts, read 20,903 times
I recently asked for advice about moving BACK there, about housing & cost of living, utilities & such & got a rude answer. Sadly, it made me rude back, not for the sake of it, but because I am looking to start fresh... Of all of the many places that I have lived over my life (over 40) Alaska was a fond memory. It was in my first choices. I found work there. Work might I add (medical) any of you may need at some point in your life time. I was met with the feeling of some of the above posts... I lived there when I was a child. Anchorage, Fairbanks & Nenana. My dad flew eqpmt, supplies for the pipeline & to villages. I was there almost longer than I lived anywhere. So... I, and many others may be outsiders but now we can't want to live here? I'm part Cherokee, where did you come from? the job I take isn't, & hasn't been filled by a native so I am not taking from you. I am coming to provide a vital life saving medical -availability for you- I'm a nice person, single & looking for a place to call home. Where ppl are friendly & behave more as I do. How could you not feel good in the beauty that is so abundant there? But the message was clear from the one that replied... sad it's a big state, you'd think there would be enough room to share. Things change people - for all of us... and someone said "their" ( the new comers) are not bad folks? so, your just mad because they came there? Because they want what you have? Maybe there is no way, no place to get away from the hate that lives inside some ppl.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:28 PM

287 posts, read 599,394 times
signit2me - I read what the response was to you about moving back... it was direct, but not really rude... You really didn't provide much info;

Medical Field - wide range of jobs are in the "medical field"...

"I need to meet people..." but not giving much info about what you like to do or want to do... drinking buddies? coffee? dinner and a movie? You really didn't give much info... You can ALWAYS meet people, but do they want to do what you want to do? Puzzles on the weekend?

And he just asked what your motivation was for moving to AK... A LOT LOT (did I mention A LOT!!!) of people think AK is a big pot of gold just waiting to be plucked.... Partly due to the pipeline and partly because of the recent "reality" shows that seem to have sprung up overnight about AK...

Rude? No... Direct? Yes... Don't wear your emotions on your sleeve...

Old 12-26-2012, 05:25 PM

11 posts, read 20,903 times
Prob wrong of me. I apologized. Still just saying it felt rude. So for clarity, I don't know what ppl are talking about with the pot of gold, I don't have cable so i haven't seen any shows. I lived there when I was a child. I loved it. I wanted to come back. I don't know if I could afford to make it there. That's all. Looking for basic living info. Was afraid I happened onto a ritzy rental sites and wanted to talk to real ppl making there way. Wondered what a median salary was... can u live on 25k or are you foolish if you aren't making 100k? I don't know. Is there a active singles population there just like any where or what. Many places in the south (smaller cities) there is no singles activities other than maybe church.
...did anyone see i said I lived there before? I'm sorry to have taken it like it read but maybe everyone is also sensitive about the gold plucking new comers...but i am apologizing it. I didn't think anyone wanted to read a book, I just was asking for basic info. Thanks for responses sorry I was unclear in my questions.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:39 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,703,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by signit2me View Post
Prob wrong of me. I apologized. Still just saying it felt rude. So for clarity, I don't know what ppl are talking about with the pot of gold, I don't have cable so i haven't seen any shows. I lived there when I was a child. I loved it. I wanted to come back. I don't know if I could afford to make it there. That's all. Looking for basic living info. Was afraid I happened onto a ritzy rental sites and wanted to talk to real ppl making there way. Wondered what a median salary was... can u live on 25k or are you foolish if you aren't making 100k? I don't know. Is there a active singles population there just like any where or what. Many places in the south (smaller cities) there is no singles activities other than maybe church.
...did anyone see i said I lived there before? I'm sorry to have taken it like it read but maybe everyone is also sensitive about the gold plucking new comers...but i am apologizing it. I didn't think anyone wanted to read a book, I just was asking for basic info. Thanks for responses sorry I was unclear in my questions.
The medical field, we still don't have any clue what you do. One of my daughter works in the medical field here, she's a radiology technician at Alaska Regional Hospital. She makes pretty good money. I don't understand why you're being so secretive about what you do? If we knew that then we'd know about how much you can expect to make. Then we could make reasonable recommendations about housing, etc.

I'll just say right off the bat, you can't live here on $25K a year. But I don't know of any jobs in the medical field in Anchorage that pay that little either...

Old 12-29-2012, 11:41 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,159,707 times
Janitor in the medical field...

Old 12-29-2012, 04:40 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,602,717 times
I see Yora is female. That will be interesting. I'm not sure if I want a separate website or if OOC here is fine.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:48 PM

339 posts, read 589,078 times
Bad, Warpt Was going to say give the kid a chance then remembered they're not a kid

Old 01-08-2013, 04:57 PM

43 posts, read 152,923 times
I'm looking at moving to the virgin islands and houses in the G'damn Caribbean are less expensive with more land than in anchorage!

(just FYI)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage