Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 01:34 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Personal experience, I really don't want to go into detail for privacy sake. I never encountered so many people who were addicted to meth and/or alcohol than in Wasilla. I've lived in numerous cities throughout the US too. It seems to be concentrated on people between 18-35 though.
It's the same in other places throughout Alaska, including Fairbanks where I live as well as the surrounding areas. Wasilla is not unique in that respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 10:02 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
Hopefully, AK doesn't have a large Meth LAB problem. We have more of a marijuana grow house problem here. While I don't like marijuana grow houses either, at least they are less toxic to the neighbors than a Meth Lab. Just when you thought crack was bad, meth was invented and it makes crack look like sugar water.

No matter where you are in the U.S., I agree that if you want to find it, you will and if you choose to avoid it, most of the time, you can. I know people that have moved out of their home town to a different state to try to getaway from there vices, only to run right back into them...

However, the problem with living in an area with even a moderate drug problem is that even avoiding it, sometimes it finds you.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:02 AM

57 posts, read 162,845 times
Unfortanately, there is indeed a HUGE drug problem present in Alaska. I grew up in Alaska and starting as young as the 6th grade, I saw (middle-class, white) kids bring to school marijuana, OxyContin, and other dangerous prescription drugs they were successful at stealing from their parents medicine cabinet.

In middle school and high school, I was one of the VERY FEW who did not partake in illegal drug use. I did not care that I may have been thought of by other students as "lame" or a "loser." However, most kids are impressionable and succumb to peer pressure tactics and begin using illegal drugs.

Also, due to the long winters, many Alaskans use drugs recreationally as a means of "escape" to get them through the long, sometimes depressing, winter months.

Illegal drug use is an issue many in Alaska seem to ignore, because it obviously would create a bad image for the state. But, that does not mean the issue should be swept under the rug and not addressed. Hopefully good people in the community and law makers can put their Alaskan pride and egos aside and address this drug matter before it manifests into something far more greater than it presently is.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:17 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
The first problem is that if the parents have marijuana in their medicine cabinet for kids to steal and take to the school, that in itself is a broader sociological issue. The second problem, is that I bet that there are a lot of adults abusing pain meds as well. I wouldn't blame it just on kids being kids.

Part of it is accessibility, part of it is education, part of it is parenting, part of it is home life in general, and part of it is peer pressure/living environment.I am sure they are even more parts, but those are the main ones I can think of at the moment.

A lot of parts and breakdowns in a couple of them can lead to someone becoming addicted. It is tough to get thru junior high/high school and get pointed in the right direction. Unfortunately, society doesn't let you easily recover from bad choices made early in life so early invervention (parenting/home life 'part') is critical. These consequences are not obvious when you are 12-18. I have seen too many good people get lost in the use/abuse of drugs (prescription and illegal) and alcohol. Some have been lucky to make it thru it, but more fail than succeed.

How this fits into the geographic location of AK I couldn't tell you -- but they all play their role in drug use/abuse. If you notice some of the parts you CAN control and others you can lessen by being involved. If someone knows where Utopia is, please let me know... (and I don't mean the town in Texas)

Old 02-18-2013, 10:08 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Hopefully, AK doesn't have a large Meth LAB problem. We have more of a marijuana grow house problem here. While I don't like marijuana grow houses either, at least they are less toxic to the neighbors than a Meth Lab. Just when you thought crack was bad, meth was invented and it makes crack look like sugar water.

No matter where you are in the U.S., I agree that if you want to find it, you will and if you choose to avoid it, most of the time, you can. I know people that have moved out of their home town to a different state to try to getaway from there vices, only to run right back into them...

However, the problem with living in an area with even a moderate drug problem is that even avoiding it, sometimes it finds you.
I was told that the Marijuana grown in the valley (nicknamed Mat-Su Thunder F**k) is the strongest grown anywhere in the US. Even stronger than the Hawaiian "brands".

Old 02-19-2013, 06:07 PM

502 posts, read 985,820 times
Well, if parents dont want their children to be using drugs, it does not stand that they can be upset when the children see their parents having a stash in the house.

DAKSTER, we all resolve that Utopia on earth is where our friends and family live.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:22 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times
Here are a few articles and some statistics that shed light on the problem:
Without Conspiracy Laws Alaska Easy Target For Organized Crime - FindLaw

Alaska Crime Rates
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
[/url]Anchorage Crime Data

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-27-2013 at 06:48 AM..

Old 02-21-2013, 07:04 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,289,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
I was told that the Marijuana grown in the valley (nicknamed Mat-Su Thunder F**k) is the strongest grown anywhere in the US. Even stronger than the Hawaiian "brands".
And has one of the most awesome names ever. That one's going on my long list of great names for punk/metal bands.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Attention CD members...the Senior Mod just realized why it smells like a skunk in the Alaska Forum.

Your going to have to...stop...that...

Old 02-22-2013, 07:28 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Show me a state, make that country, that is drug free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage