Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 01:25 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times

Advertisements

I hardly know of any parents of teenage kids that my daughter knows at school that don't smoke pot. In front of their kids. It's legal here, you know. It almost always has been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 01:48 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
A lot of people throw all drugs in together, but I'd rather live next to weed smokers than meth freaks any day.

It isn't the people who are indulging in a bit of weed who are going out doing violent stupid **** and making their neighborhoods vile places to live -- that would be alcoholics and meth idjits.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:36 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
A lot of people throw all drugs in together, but I'd rather live next to weed smokers than meth freaks any day.

It isn't the people who are indulging in a bit of weed who are going out doing violent stupid **** and making their neighborhoods vile places to live -- that would be alcoholics and meth idjits.
I agree, weed should be legal in my opinion. I just don't know what to think about using it in front of kids.... Is it bad or harmless? Not sure.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:38 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I agree, weed should be legal in my opinion. I just don't know what to think about using it in front of kids.... Is it bad or harmless? Not sure.
It's ~same as getting drunk in front of kids.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Curing cancer with cannabis! Some interesting info.

Phoenix Tears

Old 02-23-2013, 08:52 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I think it may be one of those things that depend more on how it's done rather than if it's done. All things being equal, a little weed consumption in view of the children isn't going to wreck their lives, but it shouldn't take place until they're old enough to be able to think clearly and objectively about it, so I wouldn't suggest doing it around children younger than 35.

Seriously, so many factors come into play that there's no one-size-fits all answer. Depends on the kid (s), the social ambiance of the family home in general, even the type of community. Personally, I believe that adults should be adults and are entitled to their (safe and sane) relaxation methods of choice once the children are safely tucked in bed.

Parents who are too open about it frequently don't want to be seen as "hypocrites," but I think they're really burdening their children with too much information. The exception to this could be medweed.

When my child was growing up, I preferred that others not indulge in his presence. I got some flack for it, of course, because our friends and family included quite a few who believed it should be accepted everywhere. I felt the same about alcohol use as well, though. Some things are just best left for adult time.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-23-2013 at 09:09 PM..

Old 05-01-2013, 10:13 PM

117 posts, read 246,639 times
Anchorage is largely sectored into 4 quadrants: North, East, South, and West. South is generally the safest and most coveted side of town. The other coveted part of town is the Coastal Trail and Turnagain area on the west side. The East and North sides are known to be more "crime-ridden" areas, but they are also generally lower-income areas. So, that's the typical correlation you see. They are trying to clean up the North side by installing lots of malls and business, we shall see if this works. It's too far from where I am though, so I barely make it up there. As usual, there are bigger drug problems in more impoverished parts of town. There isn't an enormous drug problem on the "nicer" parts of town, but of course, there are privileged high schoolers who recreationally abuse drugs. This is not an Anchorage-exclusive phenomenon, however, and is commonly seen amongst many privileged high school teens who choose a partying lifestyle.

Here is the skinny on the sides of town, that I've written in other posts. I hope it's a little helpful:

"If money is not an object, I recommend either the south side or west side. If you don't have children or they're grown and you can live afford living on the coastal trail or turnagain on the west side, these are desirable neighborhoods with quick access to the coastal trail and other outdoorsy things. the coastal trail is a beautiful place to bike/walk/hike on during spring and summer. I'm not from the west side, so I can't give an accurate range for Turnagain Homes. Coastal Trail homes are in the millions.

On the south side, there are some wonderful upscale neighborhoods that accommodate dogs wonderfully. There is the Discovery Bay neighborhood which has to own dog park and view of the ocean. Most owners here have dogs and walk them to the park and to the ocean & mud flats. There's also more "mountainous" and outdoorsy type neighborhoods on the upper hillside, like on Lilac Drive. Discovery Bay homes on the cheapest end start at 600,000 and go to 4,000,000. The higher end is for the homes directly on the ocean coast. The average home in this neighborhood is probably $800,000. Lilac Drive is slightly pricier than Discovery Bay.

South Anchorage is very popular for families, especially with children K-12. There are a few reasons for this. South Anchorage has the densest population of highly rated schools (7-10) as opposed to other sides of town. It is the newest part of town, I believe. Many people with families like to live on "upper or lower hillside" or "bayshore area." The hillside areas are districted to South Anchorage HS, which according to US news is the #1 ranked high school in Anchorage. Bay shore is split between South Anchorage HS and Dimond. These are supposed "rival schools." Dimond is a bit older than South (South was opened in 2004), and has a 7 of 8 ranking on the "good school scale."

West High School, on the other hand, while they do have an IB program, the school itself has a wide range of student performances and has a 3 or 4 on the good school scale. Amongst high schoolers, East High is known to be the worst of the major schools and in a less desirable part of town.

There is a culture of relative wealth on the south side. For example, if you see the SAHS Wikipedia, the school reported only an 8% of students qualified for being underprivileged. The school is also known for its hockey program, occasionally sending students to Canada to join teams."

Old 05-02-2013, 01:25 PM

4 posts, read 4,203 times
From what i've seen it is like anywhere else. Pretty much you are going to run into people doing XYZ and of course you wanna stay away but i dont think it is an OUTRAGEOUS problem... I just say stay aware and in tuned and you should be ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage