Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 02:16 AM

21 posts, read 55,958 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. Been here a little over a week now and have checked out most of the major shops. Just wondering if anyone can give a definitive answer as to where is the 'overall' cheapest place to do a big grocery shop... Fred Meyer, Red Apple, Carr's, Wal-Mart? or is there some other place I don't know of? Prices seem to be quite insane no matter where I go, but where can I go to get bent over the 'least' amount thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 10:11 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,817 times
We use a combination of Fred Meyer's, Carrs & Sam's Club. We watch the sales ads aggressively and stock up when stuff is cheap.
I avoid meat & produce at Walmart... Their quality seems a lot lower.
For hamburger meat, we buy at Mike's Quality Meats in Eagle River. $2.79 a pound.
So for us, there's no one place. We got familiar with what is cheapest at each place.

And yes, food prices are more expensive in Alaska. If you think Anchorage is bad, try spending some time in Bethel or Nome. Or go really crazy and look at the prices they pay in some of the villages...

Old 08-08-2013, 10:45 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,686,730 times
WalMart for dry goods. Their prices are the cheapest for those. Not always so on anything that comes up as cool or frozen goods. Sam's usually beats Costco by about 1% but Costco has more variety and a fresh, scratch made bakery. I also watch the sale ads for both Fred Meyers and Carrs.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:09 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,714,615 times
I shop about 60% Costco and 33% Base Commissary. The other 2% would be Almond/Coconut milk from Fred Meyer. Occasionally I'll get some produce at Freds' or Carrs when its on super sale. I enjoy the farmer's markets but Alaskan Markets have extremely overpriced food. Still, I try to support our local farmers.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:18 PM

21 posts, read 55,958 times
Good stuff everybody thanks.. My first big food shop will be tomorrow, I'll look at some of the weekly mailers

Old 08-09-2013, 11:28 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,227,437 times
Costco, Fred Meyers, wal mart,

However the nickle you save at wal mart is not worth dealing with the people who go there

Old 08-10-2013, 01:14 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,746 times
For our family of six including our four eating machines, (especially the two oldest that are teens), we start at Costco, where we have an upgraded membership that gives us 2% cash back that pays for the membership and also gets us about $100 extra back every year, then to Sam's Club, to Fred Myers for what is on sale that we need, and occasionally Walmart for things that we can't get anywhere else.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:48 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,131 times
I've only stopped into Three Bears to use the restroom...how are the prices there?

Old 08-10-2013, 12:09 PM

836 posts, read 1,777,832 times
Carrs has clearance sections with stuff that is near it's expiration date is on 50-75% off sale. Also one for normal stuff that just got bended, torn, plain discontinued, etc. I always check those out first, then whatever good sales they have for Cars club members, and almost don't buy anything else there

Almost all of my meat and fish comes from there. If I won't eat it right away or soon, I freeze it and then use when needed. Since even packages usually say "use OR freeze by...", it's all good. Fish is, strangely, more expensive than in the lower 48, so fish I pretty much buy only on those clearances. Or if we catch some.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:12 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzzz01 View Post
I've only stopped into Three Bears to use the restroom...how are the prices there?
They've got some good prices. Especially on meat. Their bulk stuff is mostly bought at Costco and marked up. So if you need an item or two, it's cheaper than running to Anchorage. But for a big stock-up, it would be worth the gas to town.
So we shop there some, but not exclusively. Their best feature is they serve areas without other stores here in the Valley and save people from running all the way into Wasilla or Palmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage