Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 12:06 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,233,222 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a good attorney in anchorage that can tell me the maximum punitive damages I can on some debt I am fighting with an ex wife on. She declaired bankruptcy on some debt that she was responsible for in the divorce but was in my name. So a second debt has come to light that she is also responsible for but now the bankruptcy has cleared and this is a new debt not listed in the bankruptcy so I dont think she can play games anymore. I plan to use this new debt as a platfrom to sue her for the debt plus huge punative damages but I need to know what the maximum punitive damages the State of Alaska typically allows. The basis of the damages will be all of her attempts to avoid paying me on the past debt forcing me to deal with it and her using bankruptcy to circumvent a divorce decree. I know she has a good job and I have served her before I just need a wage garnishment so she cant contine to play games.

I would need to get at least 7 times the value of this new debt in punative damages to make it worth my while plus any new legal fees that accrue. I need a really good lawyer that will nail her to the cross. I am strictly looking for specific recommendations of attorneys that can help me or if you are an attorny or have dealt with this before and know what the max punative damages are. I am normally up for a peanut gallery useless discussion but in this case I will report anything that is not cold calculated advice on how to nail my ex to a cross. Even if I can only get 3 or 4 times the debt value in punative damages it could be worth it if I can have her thrown in jail for contempt of court if she even so much as misses one payment with as many games as she has played.

It would be worth the money on my part if I can find a good lawyer that wont screw around and can play hard ball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 12:16 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,159,707 times
As the C-D turns...

Old 12-30-2013, 12:32 PM

warptman you are on my ignore list and I have no intention of taking you off.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:12 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,703,608 times
From my experience in Alaska you won't be able to collect 7x the value in punitive damages. It's just not gonna happen. Your second hurdle is that you will have to pay all of your attorney fees up front. No attorney in Anchorage will take this kind of case on a contingency fee basis. They'll want a retainer fee paid up front and then you'll have to pay them for billable hours as they occur. You might try giving Gary Eschbacher a call. If you really wanna bring out the big guns call Rex Butler. He'll take any case if you got the bucks to pay.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
From my experience in Alaska you won't be able to collect 7x the value in punitive damages. It's just not gonna happen. Your second hurdle is that you will have to pay all of your attorney fees up front. No attorney in Anchorage will take this kind of case on a contingency fee basis. They'll want a retainer fee paid up front and then you'll have to pay them for billable hours as they occur. You might try giving Gary Eschbacher a call. If you really wanna bring out the big guns call Rex Butler. He'll take any case if you got the bucks to pay.
Thank you, even if I cant quite get those sorts of punative damages if I can get her thrown in jail it will be worth it, I just need the game playing to end and for her to have consequences. I understand the retainer is upfront, I paid Jimmy White upfront as well and the whole thing fell apart as soon as she declaired bankruptcy. Now I see why people hate bankruptcy.

In your expereince what is the maximum punative damages a judge will award?

Old 12-30-2013, 07:58 PM

Did some more research and it looks like I am sol so I will just suck it up for a few more months and write it off as a loss and move on with life.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:09 PM

3,277 posts, read 3,939,968 times
Gee, ya think?

Old 12-31-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Gee, ya think?
This is my first exposure to getting royally screwed, so its not so obvious to me. Its probably similar to the first time being beat almost to death by a gang, you just dont know till you know. Not all of us have a resume of being screwed and beat up.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:56 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times
Yes it sucks. Happens to be a part of life. Now you need to learn from it and move on.

It is about the only thing you can do about it.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:22 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,703,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
This is my first exposure to getting royally screwed, so its not so obvious to me. Its probably similar to the first time being beat almost to death by a gang, you just dont know till you know. Not all of us have a resume of being screwed and beat up.

Now you need to ask yourself "Why did I get screwed over?" What did you contribute to this fiasco? If you don't own up to your shortcomings you'll always come up short. That's real talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage