Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 12:48 PM

681 posts, read 1,208,436 times

Advertisements

I have a couple of feet in my yard in NP....and it doesn't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 02:19 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,621,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
That is due to the near relentless wind that blows through there. For a majority of Alaska 6 months is accurate.
Actually this year it's due to it being 40 degrees for almost two weeks.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:22 PM

35 posts, read 40,909 times
here have around 8 in but if we had got to keep it over the last 3 mounts would have around 5 foot on ground

Old 02-07-2014, 10:45 AM

863 posts, read 2,079,832 times
In a normal winter around Nenana, it's likely to pop above freezing for a couple days once, twice, or not at all between November and March. In general, the snow stays frozen, fresh, and is very unlikely to melt significantly. Unfortunately we have been seeing more freezing rain in recent years, and they usually get it worse over there to the west than we do in the eastern interior. Helps if you don't have to drive too much..

Hopefully you won't need 10 cords of wood for a small cabin, but it's not a bad idea to have it.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:05 PM

67 posts, read 99,559 times
Totek lake is the last place I'd make my stand in Alaska! The logistics suck to say the least, and you better have money, lots of it! How do I know? The name, and the fact I own land there. Having been there and surveyed the resources I'm sure survival would be tough in a Dick Prenecke lifestyle that was portrayed. He made it at twin lakes because he had a monthly check from the Guberment..something many overlook.

PM me Old Bison Man if you have any questions.. I have some insight to remote off the grid living as I have done it.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:09 PM

Hi Totek I do have a few questions if you don`t mind? In all reality I know that it would be really hard to do a Dick Prenecke, But I already own the land so I have to try it. I have wanted to live in Alaska all my life Had to much responbility to my family , but now is my time.I am not rich but do have a bit set back I would like to trap. have done it all my life mainly on dirt though not to familiar with snow trapping Of living in Alaska ,What is the very hardest thing of survival that you can think of ? I would think maybe the cold or isolation. After the fire of 08 or 09 has the plants started coming back? Here we had a forest fire 4 years ago on the ranch now plants and critters everywhere I don`t plan on trying to survive off the land the old way,dang sure going to bring in supplies I like to cook and eat too much custom made me a heating,cooking,and food drying stove,

Old 03-05-2014, 11:11 PM

has a small oven big enough to bake bread and such has a little 3 gallon water tank on the side ,burns wood,take out grate ,put in attachment and then burns gasoline,disel or aviation fuel take that out and put in used oil burner attachment really a cool little stove . I have a 1800 watt solar/wind system set up w/generator back up that I designed is the third one just like it seems to be working ok this will be the real test I built one for my ex wife and one for my old cabin she uses more power than I do ,I put her in a 4500 watt system I have access to a lot of trees here so I have been milling my own lumber ,I made a drying kiln , got me a 16 inch planer have made some really nice lumber My son and I are going to pre build my cabin with screws, label everything, take it apart, pack it for equal weight , band it, and then bring it up to Alaska. After checking prices everywhere here and Alaska I think this is the best way for me to get cheaper and better wood to build with The only thing that I am planing on getting up there is 6 inch logs for my rafters and insulation

Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 PM

What time in the winter is the best time to start hauling material in? On a average how thick does the ice get on the rivers? by looking at the lake not a lot of fish is there?

Old 03-05-2014, 11:57 PM

Do you live at the lake or does anyone live there year around? Wondering if I was going to have neighbors,

Old 03-06-2014, 12:03 AM

67 posts, read 99,559 times
Well in the mid 80s it burned out there and 20 years later those trees were still pretty small. Things grow very slow as it is 6" of bio mass and then 50 to 200 ft of sand..yes, sand. As for trapping there are others out there doing that and are very protective of their "grounds". You will need a snowmachine to trap as there is lots of empty ground out there and one for bringing in your building materials and supplies. Don't expect much in the way of profit. The cost of goods (and logistics getting them) will be the toughest part of your plan.

Good clothing, heat source and small quality cabin is uber important. Insulation and small size makes heating much easier.

Lots of planes come in and out of Dune Lake to the north. You need to get to know the fishing guide up there. It's a 6 mile walk on a good trail. There was a sign pointing the way? Great fishing there too.. You will use much more food than you think so buy double.

Also, All the locals will think you are crazy. Many have tried it and failed many have dreamed it but rightfully decided not to. What you are planning is much more difficult than you can even imagine. Trust me, you are preparing but the "fish out of water" feeling will rip you up!

Get a SPOT, GPS and a compass. You will need to know them front and back.

But the best advise I will give you is to move to Fairbanks, get a job and take three years to move out there permanently. The chances are you won't move out there but you will end up with a remote cabin and a living arrangement by a road. I know this advice will be ignored but you will understand after a short while! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage