Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 02:02 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,619,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Personally, I prefer Palmer ...
We live in Wasilla, but almost bought in Palmer. Sometimes I wish we would've. Palmer is a nice place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 03:53 PM

23 posts, read 28,517 times
Thanks everyone! We haven't looked at Palmer but we will for sure! My husband can't live more than 50 miles from his office so we're trying to look at all of our options. From what I've heard and read is that traffic is not as bad as what we're used to. With as much as rent is we think that selling our current home and buying would be our best option. I appreciate all of your responses! Any other info for someone moving would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-12-2015, 02:28 PM

What's the average electricity bill for winter/summer?

Old 06-14-2015, 12:20 PM

173 posts, read 380,852 times
Nov - March $225-$300
April - October $100 - $200

And the natural gas bill is fairly similar to this pattern that you'll see with electric.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2hoop View Post
Nov - March $225-$300
April - October $100 - $200

And the natural gas bill is fairly similar to this pattern that you'll see with electric.
Thanks lv2hoop!

Old 06-21-2015, 02:36 AM

12 posts, read 18,943 times
Out of curiosity, are you guys getting a paid move? If not what moving companies have you found that you might recommend? I am also getting a federal job going from Temecula, CA to Anchorage in October, but it is not going to be a paid move. Looking to be more expensive then I had originally anticipated, especially with having to ship 2 vehicles.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:43 AM

4 posts, read 5,274 times
Wasilla is great, if you don't mind driving for an hour into Anchorage for work during rush hour traffic, lots and lots of snow and ice. Don't commit to a house in Wasilla until you've lived there for a winter and made the drive. Some people don't mind it, but it's a long road. In the winter lots of moose killed on that road and they will do serious damage to a vehicle, even a big truck. Remember that it's going to be dark in the winter on your way to and home from work. Sun rises about 10:30AM and sets about 3:30 PM. You'll want 4wd and studs to drive that road in winter. 4wd will get you going but it won't stop you. Look at Government Hill in anchorage for living, or anything in the East part of town. Muldoon is moderate crime rate, Mountain view and Fairview are high crime areas. Good Luck and enjoy Alaska. Stop in REI when winter comes and get yourself some climate appropriate duds.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:49 AM

4 posts, read 5,274 times
Shipping: if you're boxing up your own items, it will save you money to get them to the dock on your own. Otherwise the moving company is going to subcontract it, then mark it up 10-20%. uship.com will place bids on your goods based on space and weight (10# per cubic foot min) Air Van and Span Alaska are both Alaskan based and good. Airvan will even come and pack you up, Span Alaska won't. Many people mail 2nd class their goods. Forget taking furniture, it's really expensive to move and craig's list is full of furniture. There is an Ashley's and Bailey's furniture that is good. For your car the best and cheapest is Wrightway Auto. Anyone else you choose is going to subcontract thru them. So go straight to the source. You can also ride the Alaska Ferry system with your car. You must book quite a way in advance to do this. You can camp on deck or you can rent a cabin, but you can't stay in your car. If you drive, it's a beautiful drive. Allow 4-5 days between Canada and Alaska. Drive the Alaskan Highway, not the Cassiar. Get an Alaskan milepost, it's a book, but it has way more info than your GPS or Garmin can give you.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:58 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,699,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpowers187 View Post
Out of curiosity, are you guys getting a paid move? If not what moving companies have you found that you might recommend? I am also getting a federal job going from Temecula, CA to Anchorage in October, but it is not going to be a paid move. Looking to be more expensive then I had originally anticipated, especially with having to ship 2 vehicles.
Why would you ship 2 vehicles? Why not just drive them up? Or drive on and ship the other? If you're paying for the move yourself why not load your household goods into a Uhaul and drive up to Seattle. Drop your junk off at Alaska Marine Lines/Lynden Freight and they'll ship it the rest of the way on the barge. Lots of ways to do this cheaper then hiring a moving company.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:10 PM

12 posts, read 18,943 times
Was looking for the easy way I guess. With 2 little kids and a dog to move, not sure I am wanting to have to make any long drives. Also, when I looked into one of the barges, it didn't seem any cheaper than just getting a moving company. Or maybe I am looking at the wrong barges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage