Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 11:51 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,190,827 times

Advertisements

The Alaska Mobile App | Alaska.org iPhone App and City & Region Maps | Maps [get the Anchorage city and the downtown maps] are good places to get Alaska maps. Stay away from Mt View, Fairview, most of Muldoon. If you drive the neighborhoods you will be able to tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 09:28 AM

23 posts, read 28,520 times
Thanks Music_Man! That's good to know where to stay away from while I'm searching for home to rent.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:47 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,262,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillamochagrl View Post
Thanks everyone! Now to find a home.....there seems to be a lot of town homes and older homes for rent. I've been looking and I haven't found anything comparable to our current home which was built in 2011 and has a lot of updated amenities. Can anyone tell me areas of anchorage to stay away from? And if you can be specific since I don't know anchorage at all....I'm planning on flying up in October and it will be to sign a lease so if I know now where to not look that would be very helpful!
We live in Turnagain Heights....or right near the airport. The neighborhood we live in is quiet and safe. I like it very much, in fact.

What is your rental budget? For us, we knew we couldn't go much over 2K a month. The house we found is within budget, but it is small. If you are looking for a house with all the updated amenities, you'll be paying around 2500/mo. At least, this is what I observed while doing our rental search. The house we have is adequate for the time we plan to have it (a year or so) but it is not the kind of place we'd ever consider buying.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:43 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,190,827 times
Default Fyi

Google maps of Anchorage has "Street View". It was photographed a few years ago.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
We live in Turnagain Heights....or right near the airport. The neighborhood we live in is quiet and safe. I like it very much, in fact.

What is your rental budget? For us, we knew we couldn't go much over 2K a month. The house we found is within budget, but it is small. If you are looking for a house with all the updated amenities, you'll be paying around 2500/mo. At least, this is what I observed while doing our rental search. The house we have is adequate for the time we plan to have it (a year or so) but it is not the kind of place we'd ever consider buying.
Rhiannon67, Our budget allows us to rent up to $2,400 and I thought that would rent us something nicer but 8 haven't seen anything but I still have a little over a month to look so hopefully something will come up.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:46 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,262,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillamochagrl View Post
Rhiannon67, Our budget allows us to rent up to $2,400 and I thought that would rent us something nicer but 8 haven't seen anything but I still have a little over a month to look so hopefully something will come up.
You should be able to find something decent enough for that price. We'll be better off in about a year because by then our old house will be off our hands completely and my husband will have established himself as a Captain at the airline, which he is currently training for now. That's when we'll buy.

You have to check every day. It's amazing the way listings can change in the space of 24 hours. When I was looking, I saw quite a few decent places in your price range.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:37 PM

Today I went on zillow and saw some houses that I had not seen before on the 2 other sites that were recommended....so I'll just keep my eyes open. We just listed our house and the housing market is great where we're at so we're hoping it will sell quickly.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:30 PM

I wanted to say thank you to everyone that answered my questions, gave advice or shared their experinces. We made the move to Anchorage a little over a week ago. We sold our house, I have a job and we're renting a beautiful home. I will make sure to pass my experience on to the next person relocating to this besutiful city.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage