Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:37 PM

188 posts, read 607,831 times

Advertisements

It was once described to me as a liberal conservatism. They love the fact that the right wingers help them keep their guns, but like the liberalism allowed to the people. Kinda like a 50/50 place.

For me, it's the woods. Put me in the middle of no where with about 120 miles between me and the next house and I'm a happy camper. I love my guns and my grass, and from what I've read, Alaska will let me have both with little or no hassle. You might not see everyone coming out for gay pride day or celebrating MLK's birthday, but by all accounts, they are most likely to care less if you do.

One day, when the housing market here in MI turns around, I'll be able to sell the crap hole in the ghetto and trade it in for a few acres of my own in the woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 02:09 AM

3 posts, read 8,119 times
Default Fairbanks, Alaska

I have lived in Fairbanks for 31 years, and narrow minded is about the furthest from reality!

Fairbanks and Anchorage (only two med./large towns) have every walk of life to see and meet. (And beleive me, you will!)

The University of Alaska, Fairbanks is home to a largely diverse population. The Fairbanks (and Anchorage) community is very accepting to all lifestyles.

Numerous new community members have expressed to me, their feelings and experience of being very welcomed into the community.

Fairbanks Comm. Member

Old 05-29-2008, 11:16 AM

1,195 posts, read 5,413,632 times
We welcome new comers to the state as long as they don't try and make us more like the state that they came from, thats what I see a great deal of time. If their state was so great why did they leave it. As an Alaskan I do have trouble with somebody from the outside/lower 48's trying to tell us what we should do and how we should live.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:32 PM

188 posts, read 607,831 times
Can't say that I blame you. You see it everywhere down here. Do-gooders spreading their messages all over the place trying to change the world for the better but all they end up doing is making everyone miserable and resentful towards them. Like Tipper Gore and her campaign to bring fowl language to a halt through world wide censorship a number of years ago. Be who you want to be and leave everyone else alone. Makes for a much more pleasant life.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:36 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,870,758 times
Hummmmmm, it seems to me that perspective is normally flavored by where you are, thus the whole "perspective" thing, one can only percieve from where they are, where they will be in the future will alter this perception, if they do not interfere with the normal influx of new information upon which a perspective may change, radically at times. From Massachutes, the proliferation of firearms that exist in Alaska may be alarming, to the hunter in the Alaskan wilderness these same firearms, viewed as a threat in some locales, are deemed functional tools designed for specific purposes. A claw hammer also makes a very deadly weapon, but, the tool is not evil in itself. Nothing concrete to base the following notion upon, but... I would suspect, that since the beginning of time, Rocks, may have killed more things than firearms. Remembering the accounts of ancient battles and the thousands of people killed therein, arrows have certainly had their effect on history as well, but,....even the Peta folks have not jumped on the "BAN THE BOW" bandwagon. The roman legions used mostly lances and short swords. Historically speaking, mankind has seemed preoccupied with finding a better way to kill each other off. Who the enemy is, of course, is a matter of perspective. Just one more little thing, here in NC, driving is California is often portrayed as a contact sport, I believe more people are killed annually by automotive means than by firearms, at least here in the US of A.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,331 times
I'm driving to Fairbanks very soon and am very optimistic about it. I feel I am putting my self through initiation by going right before winter hits but I want the people in the community to see that I can stick it out with them. I hear they are very "clickish" which makes perfect sense to me. Who wants to be good friends with someone who's going to leave in 6 months...

Old 09-29-2008, 10:27 AM

65 posts, read 113,017 times
Default Prejudice

It's funny how the people that accuse other people of prejudice are the ones that are the most prejudice and narrowminded. I'm speaking of the liberal elitist.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:12 PM

763 posts, read 2,261,836 times
To the OP: Aren't you being a bit judgmental by calling us narrow minded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoon View Post
Or maybe rather than 'narrow or closed-minded' Alaskans (generalization I know) are strong-minded. IMHO someone who knows what he believes and stands up for it is much more of a person than one with no firm opinions.
Yep. My friends and I went down and had a "support the troops" rally to oppose the "bash the USA" rally that was going on in the park. Both sides believed very strongly in what they were doing, but we were friends with half the people on the other side. (Except for the occasional nut job who really doesn't seem to have any friends.)

And for what it's worth, a classic liberal is what I would call most people in Alaska, which most Americans would call "conservative" with a bent towards less government. (As opposed to a modern liberal who wants big government involved in every aspect of life.)

Old 10-03-2008, 10:10 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,038,394 times
I would say that in general, Alaskans are the most tolerant conservatives that you have ever met. I said, "in general".

If you can't understand a tolerant conservative, than I would say that you are narrow minded.

Not to say that we are all conservative in the political sense of the word.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:18 PM

88 posts, read 207,530 times
Hi Y'all! I haven't written much lately as I'm busily preparing for our move to Elmendorf AFB here in Jan. Anyhow, after 28 years of moving around with the Air Force, I've found that every place is what you make of it. I've never been anywhere where I couldn't find the good in it! I remember my first time overseas (Crete, Greece) where I was THRILLED to go, see, explore, meet the Greek people...& I had a BLAST! ((If we ever hit the lottery, I'm going back!)) However, there were others that did NOT take advantage of the wonderful opportunities, & all they did was stay at home / on base, whine & complain that they hated it there!
I am a firm believer in positive thinking & making the most of every situation. Heck, I got sent to Florida TWICE ((& I hate humidity!)) but I figure that it's purely a waste of time whining & complaining & judging places & people! Life's too short for that kind of thinking....
Basically, each place is what YOU make of it! If you are a pessamist, there is not going to be ANYWHERE you'll be happy.
That being said, I'm THRILLED as all get out to FINALLY get to go to Alaska! Years ago it was nearly impossible to get there if the military members didn't want to leave, they just stayed put. Now, however, there's an 8 year limit! Thankfully, if we like it as much as my daughter says we will (we loved Montana...& our eldest daughter said we'll like AK even MORE!) we'll retire up there after 1.5 years.
We'll be hauling our 2 dogs, 3 remaining kids (4 are outta the house!), & 2 miniature horses with us & we get to take the ferry up the 2nd week of Jan! We're so excited this wait is KILLING us!
Anyhow...sorry to go off on a tangent...thought my 2 cents might help. Or not. No matter....
BTW...can anyone tell me how rough the ferry ride is "usually" in Jan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage