Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:54 PM

71 posts, read 169,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
lol it's narrow minded!

That is what being narrow-minded. It's not even trying to understand the other side's view point, it's thinking my way is right, don't even bother saying anything else because I am right and nothing you can say will ever change my mind.
Oh, you are describing most Obama supporters I have talked to. Bring up President Bush and they lose their mind. Bring up Sara Palin and they lose their mind about it. <-- JUST MY EXPERIENCE.

Maybe you are right then. Alaskan may be narrow minded. That's okay with me then since this country was founded on conservative religious principles. I am okay with that and I think that this country is going downhill the more we stray from those principles.

I am not okay with being vilified for supporting prop 8. I am not okay with being called a biggot because I get angry when Christians are bashed daily but I can't say a word about Muslims.

So, if Alaskans are narrow minded then I need to get up there ASAP.

Yes, I am being a little sarcastic. Hey, I want to move to AK so I can see Russia from my backyard! (see, I have a sense of humor too!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 11:19 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,385,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwachel View Post
Oh, you are describing most Obama supporters I have talked to. Bring up President Bush and they lose their mind. Bring up Sara Palin and they lose their mind about it. <-- JUST MY EXPERIENCE.

Maybe you are right then. Alaskan may be narrow minded. That's okay with me then since this country was founded on conservative religious principles. I am okay with that and I think that this country is going downhill the more we stray from those principles.

I am not okay with being vilified for supporting prop 8. I am not okay with being called a biggot because I get angry when Christians are bashed daily but I can't say a word about Muslims.

So, if Alaskans are narrow minded then I need to get up there ASAP.

Yes, I am being a little sarcastic. Hey, I want to move to AK so I can see Russia from my backyard! (see, I have a sense of humor too!)
It's called progression. Bill O'Reilly and Jon Stewart had a short debate on his show about what the majority of Americans are. Bill said the majority believe in conservative beliefs, while Jon said the majority believe in progression. He argued that America is continually progressing. If we stuck solely to our founding fathers, women would still not be voting, segragation would still be around, inter-racial marriage would still be outlawed etc...America is moving forward with each generation...we have our first Black president, who would have thought. Women can vote now, different races are marrying and having children, people are starting to accept homosexuality, look at all the shows, soon I think gay marriage will become legal...it's all a part of progress, moving forward with the idea of freedom and equality and human rights.

And see this is a friendly debate...you didn't blast me saying...I'm an idiot for thinking that etc lol you even laughed sarcastically but still lol. Then again, you said you're not from Alaska right? lol jk Anyways, I'm off for the night, nice talking to everyone - Night!

Old 12-04-2008, 11:44 PM

71 posts, read 169,391 times
Quote:
It's called progression. Bill O'Reilly and Jon Stewart had a short debate on his show about what the majority of Americans are. Bill said the majority believe in conservative beliefs, while Jon said the majority believe in progression. He argued that America is continually progressing. If we stuck solely to our founding fathers, women would still not be voting, segragation would still be around, inter-racial marriage would still be outlawed etc...America is moving forward with each generation...we have our first Black president, who would have thought. Women can vote now, different races are marrying and having children, people are starting to accept homosexuality, look at all the shows, soon I think gay marriage will become legal...it's all a part of progress, moving forward with the idea of freedom and equality and human rights.

And see this is a friendly debate...you didn't blast me saying...I'm an idiot for thinking that etc lol you even laughed sarcastically but still lol. Then again, you said you're not from Alaska right? lol jk Anyways, I'm off for the night, nice talking to everyone - Night!
You are an idiot! <-- JK

Good night.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:51 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,513,800 times
Quote:
lol it's narrow minded!

She isn't saying, well here is why I say this...because he wants to do this and that etc, no she sticks to Obama is going to turn America into a communist nation. I can explain to her...Bush spent more money than Clinton a Democrat did, the tax rates will be going to the same as during the Clinton years and companies didn't move out of the country, they didn't raise their prices, they didn't lay off people, in fact America saw one of the fastest economic growths, millions of jobs were created, millions were taken out of poverty, businesses and the middle class were living well. And her answer, "Obama and all his supporters should go to Russia"

That is what being narrow-minded. It's not even trying to understand the other side's view point, it's thinking my way is right, don't even bother saying anything else because I am right and nothing you can say will ever change my mind. Now talking about religion....woaaaaaaah lol. I'll pray for you that you don't go to hell and that someday you can accept Jesus as you saviour. etc
Some people take politics very seriously. I'm one who does. People often don't care about understanding the "other side" when they find the other side repulsive for whatever reason. If you hop down to the politics forum you'll see plenty of lefties doing the same thing you complain about Alaskan right-wingers doing (I couldn't even count how many times I've been called a "gun nut," "wing-nut," and several other not so pleasantly intended names). Also noting your other post, while you see things moving "forward" others see things moving backwards. You observe ending segregation, women voting, different races marrying, etc., and others see things going backwards, with a growing government usurping more and more power, taxing and regulating people to death, becoming more oppressive, attacking the second amendment, etc., and the left is what is most strongly associated with these things. Some things obviously have needed improvement in our country's history over the years (racism and women's rights for instance), but some things (like the Second Amendment, strict seperation of powers, limits on federal powers, etc.)truly are best left alone. Seems to me a lot of people in Alaska have a somewhat libertarian outlook on things just from my observations: they want the government to stay out of their lives. That's also my attitude. Support for the right to keep and bear arms is strong in Alaska. The federal government isn't too well liked either. Don't be surprised when you see the left treated with some degree of hostility. Left-wing ideas are not popular in much of Alaska. I don't necessarily hate all leftist individuals but anyone who wants to get the government's nose stuck in my life or who threatens my rights, will find me rather hostile to them. That's true whether it's a right winger or a left winger doing so, but I will say I find myself doing so more often with lefties than right wingers. You'll find me very hostile towards the obomination as I call him precisely because he represents everything I despise (anti-gun, big government lover, etc.). If that makes me "narrow minded" so be it. I supported Ron Paul. I'll also quite likely be joining the AIP once I'm a resident in AK (I even put a link to their site on my blog, right under the Gadsden Flag ).

If I ever awake to find myself in a nanny-state country like the U.K. I'll probably kill myself.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:07 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,764,676 times
Quote:
Seems to me a lot of people in Alaska have a somewhat libertarian outlook on things just from my observations: they want the government to stay out of their lives. That's also my attitude. Support for the right to keep and bear arms is strong in Alaska. The federal government isn't too well liked either. Don't be surprised when you see the left treated with some degree of hostility. Left-wing ideas are not popular in much of Alaska.
Some good points, as usual. I also think that the Libertarian party is going to become a force to be reckoned with in the coming years.

Guns in Alaska are seen primarily as a tool. I would not have lived out where I did without one, especially after my dog was almost killed by a moose.

But--I never felt treated with hostility in Alaska for any reason, and certainly not for being a bit to the left of center. I've said before that a moderate Republican government probably would serve the people of Alaska better than a far left one; the issues are different there from most of the U.S. But I can't abide the far religious right for reasons that you've mentioned....they seem to be the ones who most advocate government intrusion into the lives of the people...everyone but themselves, of course.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-06-2008 at 04:23 PM..

Old 12-06-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Some good points, as usual. I also think that the Libertarian party is going to become a force to be reckoned with in the coming years.
I hope so, I hate both big parties. Neither serves the people. Ron Paul joined the Republicans years ago trying to take them in a libertarian direction, but it hasn't worked too well, he's pushed to the side by them.

Quote:
Guns in Alaska are seen primarily as a tool. I would not have lived out where I did without one, especially after my dog was almost killed by a moose.
That's how I see them...a tool to hunt, protect against criminals, keep big brother in line, scare liberals ...

I wonder if a cat would have done better against the moose? Have you seen the pictures of cats chasing bears up trees?

Quote:
But--I never felt treated with hostility in Alaska for any reason, and certainly not for being a bit to the left of center.
I think if you had a Feinstein, Lautenberg or Chuck Schumer up there starting political discussions and not watching their words they'd run into hostility. There's a difference between being slightly to the left...and 100 miles to the left. I just wonder what Jonotastic came off like, attitude can have a big impact on response.

Quote:
But I can't abide the far religious right for reasons that you've mentioned....they seem to be the ones who most advocate government intrusion into the lives of the people...everyone but themselves, of course.
The extremists on both sides are dangerous to liberty (not all on the "religious right" are extremists, just as not all leftists are extremists, but the extremists on each side disturb me).

Old 12-07-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I wonder if a cat would have done better against the moose? Have you seen the pictures of cats chasing bears up trees?
A cat wouldn't have been so naive as to try to play with a moose calf--and yeah I've seen those pictures somewhere, maybe even here. Can't recall.

Quote:
I think if you had a Feinstein, Lautenberg or Chuck Schumer up there starting political discussions and not watching their words they'd run into hostility.
Probably the same could be said if Rush or Hannity did the same thing.

In my experience, political discussion in Alaska---in public, in cafes or bars, wherever...doesn't quite seem to have the "edge" that is has in Oregon, for instance. I think that when the population is less dense, people are simply more tolerant of "others". I know that there are exceptions; rural Alaska is the first place I ever heard the word "******" used in a hateful manner. And it was my first real life exposure to the religious right.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
In my experience, political discussion in Alaska---in public, in cafes or bars, wherever...doesn't quite seem to have the "edge" that is has in Oregon, for instance. I think that when the population is less dense, people are simply more tolerant of "others". I know that there are exceptions; rural Alaska is the first place I ever heard the word "******" used in a hateful manner. And it was my first real life exposure to the religious right.
You referring to the racist N word? I'm kind of surprised...first time I heard it used that way was in Burlington, VT (VT's largest, and probably most left-leaning city). I find more tolerant attitudes outside of cities usually. I think you're right that with fewer people there is more tolerance.

You can't generalize about the religious right, though, there's a lot of variation within the "religious right" just like in the left-wing (not every lefty is a V.I. Lenin communist, or an ELF terrorist). I've sometimes been lumped in with the religious right even though I'm really not a part of it at all (mainly since I strongly disagree with the far left I guess is why I have been now and then). Generalizations also lead to discrediting sources of generalizations later on. Just as an example: one of my teachers back in my school years showed films from the SPLC (maybe the ADL too but my memory is a bit foggy on the specific sources of all of them) on "militias" and "hate groups" (all grouped together, militias, KKK, etc.). I once believed what was said in that propaganda, about them all being racists, uneducated, terrorists like McVeigh (OKC bombing), etc. Real life exposure to a VT militia group (didn't join per se but eventually went to some meetings when I found out a friend was a member) proved otherwise, there wasn't a bigot among them (mostly libertarians), a fair percentage pretty well educated and no one advocating terrorism...and needless to say, you'd never find me quoting Morris Dees except negatively these days. So all of this long-winded post gets to my original point: generalizations and stereotypes suck. I try to avoid doing that, but I will admit when I get into a political rant I can come across harshly and such.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:33 PM

Are you familiar with the 2nd Maine Militia--I think that is what it is called. I think that you might find them interesting.

Yes, it was the N word; I guess the system bleeded it out.

Interview With Carolyn Chute (http://www.newdemocracyworld.org/chute.htm - broken link)

Arctic, I don't stereoptype all conservatives as being the far religious right. I just stereotype the far religious right as such. By that I mean the evangelical faction that is fairly politically motivated. The governor is a prime example of that.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-09-2008 at 03:48 PM..

Old 12-09-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Are you familiar with the 2nd Maine Militia--I think that is what it is called. I think that you might find them interesting.
Vaguely. I've heard bits and pieces about them.

Know any militia groups in Alaska? I'm pondering starting or joining one up there but I have no connections/leads to help...

Quote:
Yes, it was the N word; I guess the system bleeded it out.
That's too bad, racism is just stupid...

Quote:
Interview With Carolyn Chute (http://www.newdemocracyworld.org/chute.htm - broken link)
Now that was interesting, I hadn't read that before...though I've read a few short things written by her...

Quote:
Arctic, I don't stereoptype all conservatives as being the far religious right. I just stereotype the far religious right as such. By that I mean the evangelical faction that is fairly politically motivated. The governor is a prime example of that.
A lot do. Glad you don't...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage