Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 04:44 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,014,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Yeah. This ain't California. We think and do things differently here. Your more than welcome to move here...but it is highly recommended you leave your California ideals in California.
And I don't think judging all Alaskans by the comments of only a handfull of residents, on a forum...makes much sense. There are what...650 some thousand residents here...and only 6 or 7 regular residents on this forum.
Now...calling us narrow minded is a really good way to start off on the wrong foot. I'm guessing here but I'm thinking your refering to gay stuff? If thats your lifestyle then so be it. But please don't try to make a big issue out of it. I for one find it boring.
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 03:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times
Quote:
Know any militia groups in Alaska? I'm pondering starting or joining one up there but I have no connections/leads to help...
Not personally, no, though I recall talking with a guy in the seat next me on a jet not too long ago who alluded to a militia type organization on the Kenai. Your best way to network for that sort of thing might be going to be AIP meetings and getting to know your neighbors. Just remember --which I'm sure you know--there might be some wariness at first about the subject.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-10-2008 at 03:35 PM..

Old 12-10-2008, 04:24 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Know any militia groups in Alaska? I'm pondering starting or joining one up there but I have no connections/leads to help...
Under Alaska law, specifically AS26.05.010, the State Militia is divided into the organized militia consisting of members of the Alaska National Guard, the Alaska Naval Militia, the Alaska State Militia (currently called the 49th Military Police Brigade), and the unorganized militia, consisting of all other citizens available for service.

Between 1947 when the Alaska Territorial Guard was decommissioned and 1984 when the Alaska State Militia was organized by then Governor William Sheffield, there was no state militia.

In 1987 the name of the Alaska State Militia was changed to the Alaska State Defense Force (ASDF) to avoid confusion with the Alaska National Guard. In 2004 the name was changed the 49th Military Police Brigade (49th MP BDE).

Their official state web site is: Alaska State Defense Force (http://www.ak-prepared.com/asdf/ - broken link)

Old 12-10-2008, 05:22 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,516,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Under Alaska law, specifically AS26.05.010, the State Militia is divided into the organized militia consisting of members of the Alaska National Guard, the Alaska Naval Militia, the Alaska State Militia (currently called the 49th Military Police Brigade), and the unorganized militia, consisting of all other citizens available for service.

Between 1947 when the Alaska Territorial Guard was decommissioned and 1984 when the Alaska State Militia was organized by then Governor William Sheffield, there was no state militia.

In 1987 the name of the Alaska State Militia was changed to the Alaska State Defense Force (ASDF) to avoid confusion with the Alaska National Guard. In 2004 the name was changed the 49th Military Police Brigade (49th MP BDE).

Their official state web site is: Alaska State Defense Force (http://www.ak-prepared.com/asdf/ - broken link)
Talking about a private citizens' militia (made up, obviously, of the unorganized militia)...

Old 12-10-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not personally, no, though I recall talking with a guy in the seat next me on a jet not too long ago who alluded to a militia type organization on the Kenai. Your best way to network for that sort of thing might be going to be AIP meetings and getting to know your neighbors. Just remember --which I'm sure you know--there might be some wariness at first about the subject.
Yeah, I guess I'll see what I find with AIP members (probably best source of interested people) and the people in the area (don't want anyone to think I'm a crazy nut though obviously, because I ain't so I'll probably have to tread lightly getting a feel for the feelings towards the idea)...I've been in touch with a (former) militia leader who was active around MT/etc., he's checking to find anyone but he suspects he won't find anyone, he knew about some AK groups in the 90's but the ones that didn't fall apart didn't have as much contact with lower 48 militias as the different groups did with each other down south here, or so he says...I kind of suspect an AK militia group might be even more under the radar than some of the lower 48 ones...and wariness about newbies is kind of expected. I remember when I showed up at a few get togethers of a VT group, everyone was looking for any signs of trouble in me (pretty typically FBI and police spies will say things suggesting illegal activities to try to see if anyone bites) and some topics were off limits till they knew me...even though I'd come in via a friend who was a member...lol Sad what the media and overzealous LEO's looking to stir up trouble have done to everyone.

I know Olsen who left the MI militia (there were definately disagreements in that group) is in the Kenai but I hear he isn't active there with any militia group. Doesn't matter, too far south in the state.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times
Yeah, I think anything like that is going to be fairly covert, especially with all the lower 48er's moving up. There was a woman who had moved from Seattle up to close to where I lived in the Su and for awhile she would call the troopers every time she heard a gunshot. What she was hearing was people target shooting on a perfectly legal private range; that was where I learned to shoot.

When I moved out there, an older gentleman gave me his phone number and said that if I had any problems to call him before I called the cops because he could get there sooner and he also gave me the numbers of a couple of other locals in case he wasn't around. They might have been a part of an informal militia or maybe not; I never thought to ask. Crime is pretty low out there so I never had to call them or the troopers for any reason, but when someone tried to break into a friend's house while her husband was on the slope, she called him and he was right there. It was just some drunk kids from Anchorage.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:54 PM

238 posts, read 863,920 times
A well organized citizens malitia is as of yet un-necesary... all though it is good people can comunicate instantly nowdays

Old 12-13-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yeah, I think anything like that is going to be fairly covert, especially with all the lower 48er's moving up. There was a woman who had moved from Seattle up to close to where I lived in the Su and for awhile she would call the troopers every time she heard a gunshot. What she was hearing was people target shooting on a perfectly legal private range; that was where I learned to shoot.
Yeah, lower 48'ers who may freak out when they hear about a "militia," besides the feds looking for trouble.

That happens in VT too, people build their mcmansions on old farmland next a shooting range, and then complain. It's not like it was a mystery it was there when they bought the property. The legislature passed a law to protect shooting ranges here so people who build a home nearby after a range was already built, can't shut it down. I usually shoot in a national forest though. Fairly remote (for VT) but even there I once apparently scared some people up from NJ who had come into the forest after me and were hiking about half a mile away (I was aiming away from the trail towards a big hill so it was safe). Heard some screams, went over and they were terrified of me. The look on a NY'er just getting out of his car, though, was priceless when I walked out of the woods into the access area with an SKS slung on my shoulder (Yugo model, with the standard grenade launcher and bayonet still on it, plus a 20 round magazine) and my big Colt Walker on my hip. Now if any of those people had seen a militia group, all in camo, etc., training, that would of been interesting...

Quote:
When I moved out there, an older gentleman gave me his phone number and said that if I had any problems to call him before I called the cops because he could get there sooner and he also gave me the numbers of a couple of other locals in case he wasn't around. They might have been a part of an informal militia or maybe not; I never thought to ask. Crime is pretty low out there so I never had to call them or the troopers for any reason, but when someone tried to break into a friend's house while her husband was on the slope, she called him and he was right there. It was just some drunk kids from Anchorage.
Now that's interesting, but it makes sense even if they weren't a militia. Police far away, you're absolutely on your own against criminals, most crimes are done within minutes (or evens econds), before they could get there. I know I will be on my own for security when I'm up there, I've heard the troopers aren't around Manley most of the time. Makes sense for neighbors to kind of get together to help on security.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:16 AM

4 posts, read 9,035 times
Alaskan's are not "NARROW MINDED" we are very grounded on how we feel, proud of what we believe in and how we live. We are forgiving, and helpful of just about everyone. We accept all "narrow minded" morons equally and.... have the sexiest Governor in the US.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:28 AM

143 posts, read 327,845 times
I would like to see someone define what it is to be "narrow-minded." is it an unwillingness to consider ideas other than your own? To be a hard-line idealouge? If that's true, I think you would find a lot of people who fit the definition of "narrow-minded" in San Francisco or New York's Upper West Side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage