Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 11:04 PM

5 posts, read 11,933 times

Advertisements

Yup, I'm not too thrilled with Senora Palin myself . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 08:53 AM

16 posts, read 37,805 times
I Agree! I have never had any problems with anyone in this forum, I'm from southern california, and Have been on this forum not to long, and the Alaskan people are just wonderful, there are some who tell it like it is, but I find no wrong in that. I dont understand how you could start out a conversation like that?

Old 12-04-2008, 07:56 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,385,369 times
I like Alaska, but I have to say there are more narrow-minded people in Alaska than any other place I've lived and I've lived in a lot of cities and even spent a few years out of the country.

I can't really speak about politics to ANY of my friends in Alaska. If I don't think Republicans are the answer, I get attacked by insults. If I talk about other religions being the same as Christianity or anything bad about Christianity, I get attacked. I just have had the experience that people get offended A LOT easier in Alaska than other places. If you were to ask a question such as..."what do Alaskan's eat or do you have to worry about being attacked by bears during the night" you will probally get a nasty reply. One of my friend's friend asked me this summer in Alaska, after telling her I'm living in Florida said..."Oh, I don't think I could ever live in Florida its so violent there, I'd probally be shot" Which sounds just as stupid as "do you live in an Igloo"

Just to be clear though, Alaskans are friendly down to Earth people for the most part, but there are certain taboo things you shouldn't talk about if you believe the other way.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:57 PM

71 posts, read 169,404 times
Alaskans are narrow minded...hmm...I have lived in Houston TX, Los Angeles CA, Anchorage AK and currently in Las Vegas NV. The most narrow minded people that I have come across are in CA. If you are a conservative, believe in the right to own a gun/hunt then you are made to feel like an outsider. Not to mention if you voted for Prop 8 then you are evil.

In AK I found that people are very accepting as long as you don't push your agenda on them or try to convince them to change their views.

Yeah, I am moving back to Anchorage in Jan, 2009. WOO HOO!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:59 PM

71 posts, read 169,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I like Alaska, but I have to say there are more narrow-minded people in Alaska than any other place I've lived and I've lived in a lot of cities and even spent a few years out of the country.

I can't really speak about politics to ANY of my friends in Alaska. If I don't think Republicans are the answer, I get attacked by insults. If I talk about other religions being the same as Christianity or anything bad about Christianity, I get attacked. I just have had the experience that people get offended A LOT easier in Alaska than other places. If you were to ask a question such as..."what do Alaskan's eat or do you have to worry about being attacked by bears during the night" you will probally get a nasty reply. One of my friend's friend asked me this summer in Alaska, after telling her I'm living in Florida said..."Oh, I don't think I could ever live in Florida its so violent there, I'd probally be shot" Which sounds just as stupid as "do you live in an Igloo"

Just to be clear though, Alaskans are friendly down to Earth people for the most part, but there are certain taboo things you shouldn't talk about if you believe the other way.
Funny, that sounds exactly like a conservative living in CA...and I have been there and done that.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwachel View Post
Funny, that sounds exactly like a conservative living in CA...and I have been there and done that.
I'd say California is the second most narrow-minded place I've lived (I spent a few years in San Francisco), but when I'd have a debate with them, they'd laugh it off or just joke around, which is why I'd rate it second. My experience in Alaska was more of a serious response with no laughs at our disagreement, if that makes any sense at all lol.

Keep in mind, Anchorage is much more open-minded then the rest of Alaska. I spend most of my time in the Mat-Su Valley where our house is.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:06 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,516,176 times
Quote:
I'd say California is the second most narrow-minded place I've lived (I spent a few years in San Francisco), but when I'd have a debate with them, they'd laugh it off or just joke around, which is why I'd rate it second. My experience in Alaska was more of a serious response with no laughs at our disagreement, if that makes any sense at all lol.

Keep in mind, Anchorage is much more open-minded then the rest of Alaska. I spend most of my time in the Mat-Su Valley where our house is.
I can respect a serious response from a person who disagrees strongly with me more than a person laughing at me when they disagree.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I can respect a serious response from a person who disagrees strongly with me more than a person laughing at me when they disagree.
I mean serious as in let's not be friendly...example:

When Obama won, I had a short conversation with a bartender, after saying I was glad for the result, she replied something like "yeah you're happy we're going to be communistic nation, I don't know how this idiot got elected" but with no laughs at the end, dead serious complete anger, no desire to have a friendly debate...nope he is a communist that is the only answer.

Once again, these are just my personal experiences and I know you can meet people like that anywhere, but this question from the poster was about in your opinion and based from my experience in Alaska this is the feeling I have now. So no offense should be taken.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:38 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,516,176 times
Quote:
I mean serious as in let's not be friendly...example:

When Obama won, I had a short conversation with a bartender, after saying I was glad for the result, she replied something like "yeah you're happy we're going to be communistic nation, I don't know how this idiot got elected" but with no laughs at the end, dead serious complete anger, no desire to have a friendly debate...nope he is a communist that is the only answer.

Once again, these are just my personal experiences and I know you can meet people like that anywhere, but this question from the poster was about in your opinion and based from my experience in Alaska this is the feeling I have now. So no offense should be taken.
So? Blunt and to the point, sounds like Northern New England style to me.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
So? Blunt and to the point, sounds like Northern New England style to me.
lol it's narrow minded!

She isn't saying, well here is why I say this...because he wants to do this and that etc, no she sticks to Obama is going to turn America into a communist nation. I can explain to her...Bush spent more money than Clinton a Democrat did, the tax rates will be going to the same as during the Clinton years and companies didn't move out of the country, they didn't raise their prices, they didn't lay off people, in fact America saw one of the fastest economic growths, millions of jobs were created, millions were taken out of poverty, businesses and the middle class were living well. And her answer, "Obama and all his supporters should go to Russia"

That is what being narrow-minded. It's not even trying to understand the other side's view point, it's thinking my way is right, don't even bother saying anything else because I am right and nothing you can say will ever change my mind. Now talking about religion....woaaaaaaah lol. I'll pray for you that you don't go to hell and that someday you can accept Jesus as you saviour. etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage