Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:12 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times

Advertisements

That's bad news about Sprint. I was thinking about renting a satellite phone while I was there. The only drawback is that the rate plans are very spendy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 08:21 PM

7 posts, read 38,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovya View Post
My husband has sprint and is unable to send text messages. He receives txts but it's 2-3 days later! His voicemail doesn't work very well either. Come to find out, there is only 1 sprint tower in Anchorage and it's by the base.
I was in Anchorage with a sprint phone and it worked great, and since I already paid for unlimited roaming it worked fine, and I was all over Anchorage with it. Worked the minute I turned it on as we taxiied to the gate. Sprint worked fine for me; maybe their roaming agreement has changed since 2004. Any other comments on this? I plan to be there in 2008 or 09.

Not being able to text would be a drag, but I could live without it. Also, does Sprint's (or anyone's) broadband card work in Anchorage?

Old 03-21-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkland View Post
I was in Anchorage with a sprint phone and it worked great, and since I already paid for unlimited roaming it worked fine, and I was all over Anchorage with it. Worked the minute I turned it on as we taxiied to the gate. Sprint worked fine for me; maybe their roaming agreement has changed since 2004. Any other comments on this? I plan to be there in 2008 or 09.
Does Sprint work well in the Valley too?

Old 07-21-2008, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 8,174 times
I have Net10 and the service is better than good -- it's 10 cents a minute, any time, anywhere -- $15 a month minimum for 150 minutes, but you do not lose your time . . .

Old 07-22-2008, 08:16 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,845,111 times
Sprint worked pretty good down here a year ago, once in a while would just cut out, but the no roaming was still good then.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:16 AM

28 posts, read 120,910 times
We also paid for no roaming fees on my husband's Sprint phone. Then they tried to charge us over $500 in roaming fees 4 months after we moved here! I had to call customer service several times to get the charges removed. They let my husband out of his contract because of the limted Sprint service in Anchorage. This was just a couple of months ago folks. Your Sprint phone will work here, but you will not be able to send or receive text messages. Your voicemail will also be delayed. And they could try to charge you roaming fees.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovya View Post
Your Sprint phone will work here, but you will not be able to send or receive text messages. Your voicemail will also be delayed. And they could try to charge you roaming fees.
I don't text so that shouldn't be a problem. I have their everything package which includes roaming for North America. But we'll see what happens when I get the next bill.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboles View Post
Another similar question. My daughter recently moved to Anchorage. I want to buy her a pay-as-you-go cell phone. walmart.com seems to indicate that there aren't any that work in Anchorage. Does anyone know if this is true? If not, what service DOES work there? I thought the TracPhone would work anywhere. Help??
I use pay as you go here in anchorage and it works well but it is also very expensive

Old 05-07-2009, 10:34 PM

28 posts, read 120,910 times
More cell phone info. I was in the lower 48 and a T-mobile guy tried to sell me and a friend a plan. I advised him that we live in Alaska and it probably doesn't work there. He disagreed and proceeded to show us a map and how it was green in Alaska so that meant coverage. I have never seen a T-mobile store in Anchorage but hey, I could be wrong. My friend tried to buy a plan and surprise, surprise it said that no plans were available in our area.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:12 AM

138 posts, read 428,406 times
More on this subject...
//www.city-data.com/forum/ancho...ell-phone.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage