Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 02:27 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,750,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
You have to have money for gas, a place to sleep this time of year, especially coming through the colder states. Would camp out in lower part of -48 at the beginning of the trip where weather may be a little better. Remember to bring a cooler. You can get some sandwich makings, drinks, snacks, bottled water, etc., before you even leave home, and make sure you restock before getting into Canada. It will save you a lot of money with eating out all time, and that way you guarantee having a little reserve if you need it. Also get extra windshield washer fluid before you leave, maybe some extra oil and transmission fluid just in case. Also bring some basic tools that could be used for repairs with you.
Mr Bob...the all time must have...1 - 2 (or more) large jars of peanut butter, couple boxes crackers, couple bags of M&M's, lots of water as some states the "free" water is sulfer tasting, bottled water is expensive. Credit card for emergencies only. Plus everything Granny says!!

Old 04-11-2009, 04:44 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,364,957 times
blueflames50. having car checked out at firestone early this week. will do what you say from above. made two friends already who will be working at Princess Lodge, Denali. Karen Martin, Kyle Taylor. yes indeed.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:53 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,865,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
blueflames50. having car checked out at firestone early this week. will do what you say from above. made two friends already who will be working at Princess Lodge, Denali. Karen Martin, Kyle Taylor. yes indeed.
Bob please don't put out peoples names and pictures on here, as maybe they don't want you to...maybe use initials or something unless you have their permission....don't want them mad at you...yes indeed...

Old 04-11-2009, 04:53 PM

Think it's safe to carry on segments when need extra fuel 5 gallon fuel can that's air tight in trunk of auto? between Montana and Edmonton, Canada. highway 15 into highway4 and or highway 2. extra 150 miles range.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:03 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,865,159 times
Quote:
Think it's safe to carry on segments when need extra fuel 5 gallon fuel can that's air tight in trunk of auto? between Montana and Edmonton, Canada. highway 15 into highway4 and or highway 2. extra 150 miles range.
Being you are in a car and have your stuff for the summer in the trunk with it...I would not carry extra gas. There should be enough places to fuel up...If you see a place, watch you map or atlas for bigger towns, fill up if reasonable if 3/4 tank, I would stop for 1/2 tank or less if no larger towns, depending on where you're at...just don't ride on EMPTY, Fords are bad...bad thing Mr. B, yes indeed.. We came in August, so everything was open then and filled just because not sure. You will be fine if just don't get too low, or if concerned, pull over and sleep. Kick the girls out of the back...crawl in back seat with sleeping bag and snooze....as don't think you are letting them drive....

Old 04-11-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
OMG Mr Bob...you've asked this before...the answer still it NO GAS IN TRUNK OF CAR!! DANGER< DANGER may reasons....expansion of gas fumes, explosion, rear end hit to car...explosion...insurance will not cover and you get seriously hurt. Fill up every time you see a gas station...do not go below 1/2 tank low... and one more thing....
.DAMN IT ...LISTEN TO WARPTMAN, RANCE AND OTHERS....GET YOURSELF A MILEPOST AS IT WILL GIVE YOU THE GAS STATIONS!~~~

When I drove the Alcan the Milepost was my bible!!! It does take some figuring out of how to use but unless you have severly dyslexia you can figure it out. only in one place the gas station had burned to the ground about 3 weeks before I came thru....I was driving a F150 pickup truck, solid oak body with cap and fully loaded to the max. Including a 55 gal barrel of cider. I filled up everytime I got to a 1/2 tank and had no problem. That truck only got 18 mile to a gallon.
If you are really nervous....Carry a empty can in trunk in case you space to fill up....do Granny's advice and pull over...sleep and get ride to gas station with empty can and back with full can of gas!!!

Old 04-11-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
OMG Mr Bob...you've asked this before...the answer still it NO GAS IN TRUNK OF CAR!! DANGER< DANGER may reasons....expansion of gas fumes, explosion, rear end hit to car...explosion...insurance will not cover and you get seriously hurt. Fill up every time you see a gas station...do not go below 1/2 tank low... and one more thing....
.DAMN IT ...LISTEN TO WARPTMAN, RANCE AND OTHERS....GET YOURSELF A MILEPOST AS IT WILL GIVE YOU THE GAS STATIONS!~~~

When I drove the Alcan the Milepost was my bible!!! It does take some figuring out of how to use but unless you have severly dyslexia you can figure it out. only in one place the gas station had burned to the ground about 3 weeks before I came thru....I was driving a F150 pickup truck, solid oak body with cap and fully loaded to the max. Including a 55 gal barrel of cider. I filled up everytime I got to a 1/2 tank and had no problem. That truck only got 18 mile to a gallon.
If you are really nervous....Carry a empty can in trunk in case you space to fill up....do Granny's advice and pull over...sleep and get ride to gas station with empty can and back with full can of gas!!!
Got it. only cary empty fuel can. think CB Radio be wise? what brand.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Got it. only cary empty fuel can. think CB Radio be wise? what brand.
CB radio would be wise, indeed Mr Bob!! you'll have to wait for someone else for a brand...

Old 04-11-2009, 05:55 PM

Mr bob has extra cellular phone battery for Motorola razer t mobile phone. best to keep phone off during travel. conserve on battery.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:55 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,703,608 times
No gas, intestinal or otherwise!!!! Empty gas can, good idea. You can post your friends first names but never their last. Too many cyber nuts. A CB radio is a good idea. A lot of truckers in Canada still use them. Just get a cheap one and an antenna from WalMart or somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage