Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2007, 05:05 AM

12 posts, read 71,274 times

Advertisements

Thanx for the replies! I looked up the bark scorpion and it can sometimes cause swelling. They can also climb trees, bushes, etc. (the only scorp that can). And this thing first jumped on my arm from a bush (stupidly I thought it ran away after I brushed it off). But, the immediate numbness and tingling doesn't usu. happen. Also, I was so numb that I didn't feel my tetanus shot at all. You could pinch or poke me anywhere on my body and I couldn't feel it. I was raised in Scotts. AZ where I hiked through the desert for hours every day. I've seen tons of different scorpions, but none like this one. Who knows. Maybe there are mutant scorps out there now A science lab escapee from the Xfiles.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:57 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,516,502 times
Does anyone know how dogs react to scorpion stings? If I do move to AZ, I'm more worried about my curious dog getting stung than myself.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:52 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Default Scorps and dogs

My dogs seem to be afraid of them. They will go after moths and such, but head the other way when they see a scorpion. It could be because we react so quickly to kill scorpions when we spot them. They may pick up on our fear factor and learn that scorpions are to be avoided. Outside, they never seem to be stung from stepping on one although the scorps are everywhere out there. I'm sure the scorp expert will weigh in shortly warning us that thousands of chihuahuas die annually in Mexico and our dogs are surely doomed in Arizona. But, while I know of people's dog getting bit by snakes, I have never heard of a dog being stung by a scorpion. Interesting.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:12 PM

338 posts, read 1,624,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
Does anyone know how dogs react to scorpion stings? If I do move to AZ, I'm more worried about my curious dog getting stung than myself.
I posed this question to Poison Control after I got stung. I am very concerned about my little dogs getting stung by a scorpion. They weigh 13 and 18 lbs. Poison control said usually dogs do not die from a bark scorpion sting but they will go through the same symptoms as we do and that little dogs may be affected more because of their size so it is always best to contact your vet or an emergency vet if your dog is stung. That is what I was told. I am extremely cautious mostly for my dog's sake. Of course, my b/f and I do not want to get stung either but our dogs are our first concern.

My dog avoided a scorpion that he saw in our living room. He even alerted me to it by looking at it and then stepping back away from it. He was acting very peculiar which was good because he prompted me to take a closer look. It's great that they spot them for us when they are awake, but since the one that stung me was in our bed, my poor little sleeping dogs may not have seen it then.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:46 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm sure the scorp expert will weigh in shortly warning us that thousands of chihuahuas die annually in Mexico and our dogs are surely doomed in Arizona.
Rediculous. Im not sure I even wanted to respond but I had to.

No, dogs do not die in the thousands like people do in Mexico, strangely.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Rediculous. Im not sure I even wanted to respond but I had to.

No, dogs do not die in the thousands like people do in Mexico, strangely.
I don't know how many people die in Mexico from stings but they must have badder scorpions than we do. As you can see from the posts, when you get stung here the poison control center basically tells you "take two aspirin and call me in the morning". As for the dogs, maybe their thick pads or their fur protects them as you just never seem to hear about somebody's dog getting stung (though I suppose it does happen).

Old 09-17-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't know how many people die in Mexico from stings but they must have badder scorpions than we do. As you can see from the posts, when you get stung here the poison control center basically tells you "take two aspirin and call me in the morning". As for the dogs, maybe their thick pads or their fur protects them as you just never seem to hear about somebody's dog getting stung (though I suppose it does happen).
Well, the reason more people die is lack of adequate medical facilities. Cities like Mexico City, Queretaro, etc, will have access to the AV. Its the small towns out in the middle of nowhere that experience high fatality rates. And yes, the species of scorpions in Mexico are a bit more potent, but not by much. In fact, theyre from the same genus as the AZ bark scorpion (Centruroides), hence the bark scorpion's notoriety in AZ. And had it not been for AV in AZ, many more deaths would have occured. Since its inception (AV), 8-10 people a year are required to receive several vials worth because of their life-threatening symptoms. The species in Mexico that are responsible for the most deaths are cousins of the AZ bark scorpion, they are Centruroides limpidus and Centruroides noxius respectively.

As for dogs, they get stung but Ive yet to hear of a fatality. Ill have to do a little research on that.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:42 PM

I just found this real quick, it might be helpful to any pet owners:
What To Do If A Scorpion Stings Your Pet

I question it though, considering that they say the scorpion's stinger may still be present in the animal's skin. Scorpion stingers do not break off like a bee's, they inject the venom subcutaneously via the aculeus (the needle-like part of the "tail"), the aculeus is connected to the vesicle (venom storage gland) which is connected to the metasoma (the "tail" if you will). Scorpion stingers do not break off.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:02 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
Despite the fact that the original posting was informative, it didn't make me feel any better. We had considered moving recently to AZ and the main reason we didn't was the creepy crawlies. Right now where I live there are no black widow or brown recluse spiders or any poisonious spiders. The only snakes are garter and rubber boa, both harmless and small. I don't have to walk around my front porch or yard at night with a flashlight looking for rattlers when I walk. I don't have to wear slippers at night or shake out my shoes each morning worrying about scorpions. My kids can play in the yard without me being concerned about snakes or spiders. No poisonious spiders or snakes, no scorpions, no tarantulas, the worse thing I have ever had in my home was a mouse or two for a short time. It is hard to get use to those type creatures when you are not use to them at all nor are your children.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Despite the fact that the original posting was informative, it didn't make me feel any better. We had considered moving recently to AZ and the main reason we didn't was the creepy crawlies. Right now where I live there are no black widow or brown recluse spiders or any poisonious spiders. The only snakes are garter and rubber boa, both harmless and small. I don't have to walk around my front porch or yard at night with a flashlight looking for rattlers when I walk. I don't have to wear slippers at night or shake out my shoes each morning worrying about scorpions. My kids can play in the yard without me being concerned about snakes or spiders. No poisonious spiders or snakes, no scorpions, no tarantulas, the worse thing I have ever had in my home was a mouse or two for a short time. It is hard to get use to those type creatures when you are not use to them at all nor are your children.
I'm sure (hope) you had other reasons for not coming here , because that would be about the dumbest reason someone could have for avoiding the place. Your description of coping with critters here is absurd. If you want to pass on AZ, do it because of the heat, the congestion, the illegals,home prices or something realistic. Nobody who actually lives here would leave because of bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona