Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 05:50 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,477,903 times

Advertisements

Blackfootman it sounds like you did the correct procedure for sure, come look and stay awhile and make your own evaluation.
Some kick back on there recliner and evaluate a city and have no idea whats what there.
Thanks for reposting back on your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 06:23 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I stand by my post 100%. I never understand why posters get all upset about someone else's opinion.

You obviously like Kingman, I don't. As I said, unless you have to live in Kingman, there are much better alternatives.

When someone who doesn't live there posts purely negative "information" without stating what the level of their experience with a place is, those who live there or know it well are likely to react exactly as rambrush did.

In evaluating any city, both the overly positive and the overly negative posts should be taken with a grain of salt.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:30 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
When someone who doesn't live there posts purely negative "information" without stating what the level of their experience with a place is, those who live there or know it well are likely to react exactly as rambrush did.

In evaluating any city, both the overly positive and the overly negative posts should be taken with a grain of salt.
Agreed.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:54 PM

285 posts, read 785,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I stand by my post 100%. I never understand why posters get all upset about someone else's opinion.

You obviously like Kingman, I don't. As I said, unless you have to live in Kingman, there are much better alternatives.
Well I now have experience, about 2 years, and concurr. The town will be in my rearview mirror by the end of the year. I have listed my biggest issues below:

1) Town and surrounding countryside generally scroungy, run-down and unattractive. Where are these people coming from that find it pretty here?

2) People in public, grocery stores, restaurants, etc. generally scroungy, run-down and unattractive. A too large of a percentage of the population appears to be on govenerment assistance. That would include health care workers working for places like KRMC and Mohave Mental Health that are largely government subsidized.

3) Restaurants generally have a crappy atmosphere and the food isn't much better. Exceptions are Matina's, Wine Bar, and, yes I'm going to say it, Chili's. Also when you walk in to most of them people tend to stair for no apparent reason. My wife and I have found this unnerving.

4) Windy to the point of obnoxious most of the time. Just drive in any direction for an hour and wind speeds decrease dramatically.

5) I have found locals to be generally unfriendly with few exceptions. Granted, I was not interested in making friends in my short term stay, but frankly, didn't really see any opportunities. People in my upper-middle social class tended to keep to themselves; people in the lower stratus seem to glare as if to say "what in the hell did you do to drive that late-model vehicle".

Sorry, just venting, maybe some of it was my fault. Soon it will all be over.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
Well I now have experience, about 2 years, and concurr. The town will be in my rearview mirror by the end of the year. I have listed my biggest issues below:

1) Town and surrounding countryside generally scroungy, run-down and unattractive. Where are these people coming from that find it pretty here?

2) People in public, grocery stores, restaurants, etc. generally scroungy, run-down and unattractive. A too large of a percentage of the population appears to be on govenerment assistance. That would include health care workers working for places like KRMC and Mohave Mental Health that are largely government subsidized.

3) Restaurants generally have a crappy atmosphere and the food isn't much better. Exceptions are Matina's, Wine Bar, and, yes I'm going to say it, Chili's. Also when you walk in to most of them people tend to stair for no apparent reason. My wife and I have found this unnerving.

4) Windy to the point of obnoxious most of the time. Just drive in any direction for an hour and wind speeds decrease dramatically.

5) I have found locals to be generally unfriendly with few exceptions. Granted, I was not interested in making friends in my short term stay, but frankly, didn't really see any opportunities. People in my upper-middle social class tended to keep to themselves; people in the lower stratus seem to glare as if to say "what in the hell did you do to drive that late-model vehicle".

It sounds like you just don't belong in Kingman. I'm guessing you'd be better off in Scottsdale or some where like that.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:58 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
Quote:

From Colorado/France/Las Vegas/ and now kingman

GENERALY outstanding food EXCELLANT service and some of the prettiest Food Servers Ive seen

yep......if it stops you'll fall over......

I've met some of the NICEST people in my 5 months in Kingman....altho I do admit that i'm PROBABLY NOT Upper-Middle class....[I'd have to lower myself]

My comments in Blue

Old 10-19-2012, 09:07 PM

285 posts, read 785,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
It sounds like you just don't belong in Kingman. I'm guessing you'd be better off in Scottsdale or some where like that.
Some day.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:52 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,477,903 times
Some folks need to jump on the big bird and check out conditions in 3rd world countries (Tanzania) then travel and visit multiple U.S. States Hawaii and Alaska included.
Then return to Kingman, I would think you would find its not so bad.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Some day.
Agreed and I'm stuck in Scottsdale; too fake for me. Sheesh!

Tho the parts of this place built when I was a kid, I was born in the 1960's, I do like. Word has it Scottsdale was more "blue collar" then.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:51 AM

12 posts, read 18,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberlrichmond View Post
I've heard that it's a great place to live, but I've also heard that it's ridden with drugs. What is the housing market like? I've looked at some real estate and am amazed at how cheap housing is. Then again, where I live currently it's not uncommon to see homes selling for over $500k. How is the job market? I'm 20 and will be moving with my dog. What is there to do in Kingman? I love to hike and I know Kingman is surrounded by mountains. What are temperatures like? How much snow falls in the winter? I live in NJ right now and I'm trying to move away from the constant snow. How long does it take to drive to the Grand Canyon and Death Valley? Lastly, I have a deathly fear of snakes. How often are snakes seen in Kingman? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any help!
It's been 11 months since your post, and I wonder if you had a chance to visit? If not, I can tell you this,
from my 2007 trip:

I liked Kingman ok, I guess. I like the Sonic fast food drive in, where the girls skate to your car. The one that came to mine was a knockout. Anyway, the rest of Kingman was fine too. Definitely do not see women like that, from my part of the country.
But, Kingman did seem a bit boring. But, in today's world, boring may be good. I was there only a day and a half or so. On the second night, I was in another fast food store, just as they were closing and listened to the workers conversations, they were closing the dining area. It seemed so innocent, and being the weekend, what they were going to do. I got the impression, like the clock had been turned back a few decades or something.

SNAKES!
Yes, I'm sure there are, but the only one I'd ever seen was on the Nevada side, about 100 miles away from
Kingman, squashed and squiggly in the street. I was driving, of course. (no, I didn't hit the doggone thing).

SNOW
Yes, I too hate snow. Not so much for the cold, but the mess it creates, on the roads, every where. I hate to not be able to drive somewhere. I'm sure it gets its share of snow, which is why I'd never consider moving to Kingman, but am currently considering other places 'near' there, like Boulder City, NV, just because of its more ideal locale.

MY Ideal AZ destination
If you've seen the movie "Electra Glide in Blue", that may be my ideal location to live, but again, the doggone snow possibilities. I'd actually driven around the 4 corners states area, Monument Valley, etc, and thought it was awesome.

Hope some of this helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona