Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 07:11 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,610 times

Advertisements

Winter storm warning here today.
Quote:
Total snow accumulations of 2 to 6 inches on valley floors with up to 8 inches above 5,000 feet.
The mountains have already been quite scenic with snow. We didn't need this to top them off

Meo, did you really need to bring your Minnesota winter weather with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 08:50 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
AZDesertBrat did you see that 89A was closed the whole way through Sedona yesterday with tons of car accidents including a 5 car pile up?

I did see that! I couldn't believe it. So many people are from places that get that much snow, or a lot more, but seems they come here and forget how to drive in it?? I didn't leave my house all day!

Old 01-02-2019, 09:10 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,697 times
Lol at this post. Weird weather year. Chicago has had 45 degrees off and on since December and little or no snow. I just got gas for $1.61 a gallon. We are turning into Texas.

Enjoy the AZ weather. Sounds like your snow is a fluke.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:00 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Hey, Arizonans, what d'ya think? Is this a two pot coffee day?

The good news? We don't need to break out the "snow blowers", "snow shovels" or "windshied scrapers", because...

#1 We don't have any, and...
#2 Even if we did, we wouldn't know what they were for... or how to use them!

Oh, guess what? The snow is melting away even as we type...

Old 01-03-2019, 04:10 AM

18 posts, read 22,985 times
Moved from Maine in July 2018to get away from the cold and snow. But snow in the desert Southwest is beautiful. Must see this: https://youtu.be/n3TvLDNEcCw

Old 01-03-2019, 05:28 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Our OP doesn't sound like the sort of person who plays the "blame game"; still, there's a certain amount of naivete' displayed here.

Anyone with any exposure to an elective (non-technical) meteorology course in college ought to be given to understand that year-round snow-free climates are limited to the deepest of the Deep South and coastal regions. It snows in Arizona, in much of Mississippi, and in parts of Mexico.

If you want a snow- free option, there's California as well, but the naivete' and lack of motivation among a lot of other people has ruined that. Better to stay put -- Arizona takes better care of those who play by the rules.

Still, it won't last long.
Your inability to avoid politicizing everything notwithstanding, California gets more snow than Arizona, genius. It has more northerly latitudes and higher elevations. Guess that explains all the glaciers, and the fact that the winter Olympics have been held there.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:15 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
Love it when it snows here! It is almost always gone in a day, so no shoveling. Such terrible fun!
I just moved here to Tucson, and a neighbor of mine who's lived her since 1970, told me one year, don't know which, 7 inches of snow was dumped on Tucson!

Many will say: Where's Global Warming? Weather is short term, climate is long term.

In the most recent copy of The Economist magazine: Farmers in northern Russia and northern Alberta are now enjoying 2-3 weeks of a longer growing season.

It's been predicted that areas like Tucson will become more tropical, due to climate change. Having lived in the most arid city in the country for 22 years, Las Vegas (3-4 inches of precip. a year) I didn't know quite what I was getting into moving here. Good Lord all the rain I experienced this summer and Fall, and? 6 days of rain the last 2 weeks! Desert, where art thou? Cacti can only handle so much rain and they could fall over! Which happened to a prized multi-prong cacti in my senior mobile home park. Yes, the last good rain, it fell over! Drunk with too much water!

Last edited by tijlover; 01-03-2019 at 06:23 PM..

Old 01-04-2019, 12:59 PM

812 posts, read 794,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I just moved here to Tucson, and a neighbor of mine who's lived her since 1970, told me one year, don't know which, 7 inches of snow was dumped on Tucson!

Many will say: Where's Global Warming? Weather is short term, climate is long term.

In the most recent copy of The Economist magazine: Farmers in northern Russia and northern Alberta are now enjoying 2-3 weeks of a longer growing season.

It's been predicted that areas like Tucson will become more tropical, due to climate change. Having lived in the most arid city in the country for 22 years, Las Vegas (3-4 inches of precip. a year) I didn't know quite what I was getting into moving here. Good Lord all the rain I experienced this summer and Fall, and? 6 days of rain the last 2 weeks! Desert, where art thou? Cacti can only handle so much rain and they could fall over! Which happened to a prized multi-prong cacti in my senior mobile home park. Yes, the last good rain, it fell over! Drunk with too much water!
Las year was kind of a weird year for rain! It will be interesting to see what this year brings.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:57 PM

23 posts, read 17,764 times
When I lived in AZ, they had snow the 4th of July weekend. No way, you would say..

But they did, on the top of Humphrey's Peak. I did that hike once, never again.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:41 AM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
I just reviewed scenes from the county where I used to live in Minnesota. Otter Tail County. A lot of cars/trucks in ditches and travel is not advised.

Glad friends posted it as it's gray and cloudy here today. Really makes me appreciate where I am now. I'll take the gray over the snow and ice anytime.

Last edited by meo92953; 01-07-2019 at 10:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona