Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 10:56 AM

189 posts, read 198,776 times

Advertisements

More municipalities and more counties is the way to go. PHX and Maricopa seem like they’ve become too bloated, inefficient, and unwieldy.

Old 11-12-2022, 12:12 PM

9,747 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Not sure what is going to happen with Lake/Hobbs, but everything is turning blue at this point. California 2.0 here we come. I hope all you "republicans" that voted for Hobbs are proud of yourselves. Makes me sick to my stomach.
Here is how I look at it. Go watch that link I gave you. John Oliver (HBO comedian) laid out the concerns of MANY people. Psst. It’s why they had the January 6th committee! As in, there is a sincere rational concern over the state of our democracy!

If you put in the time to watch his video (combined with watching the highlights of the January 6th committee), and you are not legitimately concerned, well…. I’m sick to my stomach. As in, wake the F up! I picked the best path that was put in front of me. We have to get rid of the fringe on both sides! And Hobb's isn't in the fringe camp (she is no AOC). Oh, how I wish we had a Kari Lake who didn't spout election lies. I would have donated (many of my neighbors gave THOU$AND$ to her campaign over a year ago). I was invited to my neighbor's home (Kari was meeting people). I did some research and didn't attend. That was before she went waaaay off the rails.

We are where we are because BOTH sides are fiscally irresponsible. Each extreme side is busy lining up its own pockets/power.

Old 11-12-2022, 12:13 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
Quote:
=Sno0909;64439539]Not sure what is going to happen with Lake/Hobbs, but everything is turning blue at this point. California 2.0 here we come. I hope all you "republicans" that voted for Hobbs are proud of yourselves. Makes me sick to my stomach.
Bye!

That sort of fear-mongering doesn’t work. When will you guys get that?

Old 11-12-2022, 12:59 PM

39,082 posts, read 51,266,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Here is how I look at it. Go watch that link I gave you. John Oliver (HBO comedian) laid out the concerns of MANY people. Psst. It’s why they had the January 6th committee! As in, there is a sincere rational concern over the state of our democracy!

If you put in the time to watch his video (combined with watching the highlights of the January 6th committee), and you are not legitimately concerned, well…. I’m sick to my stomach. As in, wake the F up! I picked the best path that was put in front of me. We have to get rid of the fringe on both sides! And Hobb's isn't in the fringe camp (she is no AOC). Oh, how I wish we had a Kari Lake who didn't spout election lies. I would have donated (many of my neighbors gave THOU$AND$ to her campaign over a year ago). I was invited to my neighbor's home (Kari was meeting people). I did some research and didn't attend. That was before she went waaaay off the rails.

We are where we are because BOTH sides are fiscally irresponsible. Each extreme side is busy lining up its own pockets/power.
Some, if not most, of my R friends think Lake is just performance art. They see someone who was center left a couple years ago just parroting every kooky line out of Crazytown and say it is all an act to win. Maybe. But my fear is she will govern the way she talks and that would be very, very bad for our state. I had a lot of business dealings with Jan Brewer when she was on the Maricopa BOS and thought she would be a moderate gov when she took over only to to be shocked how she morphed. Can't take the chance with Lake. With Hobbs what you see is what you get, She's been around long enough to figure out that she is basically boring and normal .

Old 11-12-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Some, if not most, of my R friends think Lake is just performance art. They see someone who was center left a couple years ago just parroting every kooky line out of Crazytown and say it is all an act to win. Maybe.
Agreed. She could have been radicalized. I'm with you, she was not worth the risk. If someone would do anything to anyone in order to get elected, they sold their soul. And I'll punt.

Still, Hobb's didn't have the courage to debate!? That's grounds for my dismissal of any candidate. But given that choice (Hobbs or Lake), I picked Hobbs.

Back to the topic at hand. When you are in a statistical dead heat, you need to go to extremes and ensure each side is happy on each vote. That's going to take a massive amount of time. Those who cannot grasp that and jump to conspiracy theories without doing a little of their own due diligence are bat-****-crazy. YES, you can change the procedure next year to allow early in-person voting or make people mail them in earlier or ________________. And yea, it's the government. Do you think it's a well-oiled machine? Duh, of course not.

If Lake wins, I'm taking it at face value.

Old 11-12-2022, 01:39 PM

13,787 posts, read 8,026,883 times
Outside of taking a long time the vote count seems to be going well.

Blake Masters might have a legitimate beef that McConnell tightened the purse strings because he was backed by Trump (Kelly/Hobbs outspent Lake/Masters - 5 to 1.) However, the vote count appears on the up and up.

Lake? If the numbers doesn't break strong in her favor tonight....she's better start thinking about the speech she'll give when she loses.

Old 11-12-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Outside of taking a long time the vote count seems to be going well.

Blake Masters might have a legitimate beef that McConnell tightened the purse strings because he was backed by Trump (Kelly/Hobbs outspent Lake/Masters - 5 to 1.) However, the vote count appears on the up and up.

Lake? If the numbers doesn't break strong in her favor tonight....she's better start thinking about the speech she'll give when she loses.
She has been thinking about that speech for weeks. She already said she is GOING to win weeks ago. And if she "lost", she really won. (She pledged NOT to accept election results). Rest assured, the longer it takes (a.k.a. the more careful everyone is at counting it accurately), her sheep will believe it was "stolen". Just like all across the country, the election deniers have been shut down (race after race after race) by people who voted like me. OR, maybe it's been this massive conspiracy all along?

Plus, Hobbs was at the helm. Lake now has her scapegoat. So we are clear, Hobbs should have recused herself from overseeing the election. But she didn't. I get why she didn't want to cave to a person who said Hobbs should have been locked up. But the perception isn't good. And it gives nutjobs years to complain and radicalize their POV even more.

All that said, I'm not convinced Lake is going to lose. Time will tell...

Old 11-12-2022, 02:59 PM

50,834 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Was this due to the Californians who moved there?

Not just California, but New Jersey and other east coast states, too. People who want to retire with heat but not humidity go to Arizona.

But I don't know if that alone explains it, because a lot of people from NJ etc move to Florida, too, and that changed from purple to red. I think candidate quality had a lot to do with it especially with Independents. A lot of people who might have voted for a good candidate, were not going to be willing to vote for election deniers, oathkeepers who attended Jan 6 (their R Secretary of State candidate). People want an end to all this divisive crap that's tearing us apart. These fringe-type candidates appeal to the base so win primaries, but are not as appealing in a general election. If they had a "normal" R running for Senate or Governor, they'd have won easily, IMO.

Old 11-12-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
As of this morning (Saturday, nov 12th) Florida had counted 95% & AZ counted only 83%.

Florida has 3 times the population as AZ, so AZ has some issues they need to clean up.

This has been explained in multiple posts. Florida does not allow same day ballot drop off. Arizona does. In addition, as long as mail-in ballots are post-marked by election day, they can still be counted if they show up in the mail after election day. They got 290,000 ballots dropped off on election day, every single one of which must be signature-verified by matching it with the signature on file, one by one, by a human. That is a very long process. And because the races are so much closer here than in Florida, they are going to be extra methodical.

Old 11-12-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Some, if not most, of my R friends think Lake is just performance art. They see someone who was center left a couple years ago just parroting every kooky line out of Crazytown and say it is all an act to win. Maybe. But my fear is she will govern the way she talks and that would be very, very bad for our state. I had a lot of business dealings with Jan Brewer when she was on the Maricopa BOS and thought she would be a moderate gov when she took over only to to be shocked how she morphed. Can't take the chance with Lake. With Hobbs what you see is what you get, She's been around long enough to figure out that she is basically boring and normal .

Thank you! She voted for Obama, and some of her Fox colleagues say she knocked on doors for his campaign. She donated money to John Kerry's campaign. In addition, her entire career was as a journalist. She has zero political experience. Senate is different than Congress, it is supposed to be a higher standard.

I don't think she's a Republican or Democrat, only an opportunist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona