Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 04:31 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,706,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I never thought of that POV before. But you are right, this could skyrocket her net worth. The chances of her not thinking about this are around 0%. I repped you accordingly.
Honest question, can outlets like Newsmax pay the fat anchor salaries of mainstream networks? Do they have regular advertisers? I thought the same thing, but thought she may have played the loony card a bit heavy, even for Fox.

Old 11-13-2022, 07:36 PM

14,038 posts, read 8,188,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I dont think it's likely she will win at this point, though it is still within the realm of possibility.

The delusional, performative outrage - "we've won!" and refusal to say she would concede, for example - will serve her well in being a talking head for Newsmax or another right-wing media outlet. She will do what she can to stay on the national stage and maintain relevance in the Trump sphere, and whatever radical right movement takes its place, so that in 24, 26, 28, she can try again. I imagine her trying to shout and push her way into national politics after this.

Right now she's Arizona's problem; soon, she'll be the whole country's :/

Barring a miracle Lake is done. She didn't the numbers she needed tonight.

Will she cry foul? Unless someone comes up with video footage of bags of ballots being remove from a voting center it's... over.

Rep. leadership need to seriously look at what Florida is doing regarding early voting.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...l#post64446148

If there's any positive news for the Rep party in AZ: One news outlet reported exit polls showing Lake received 47% of the Hispanic vote which is very good. Masters nabbed 40%.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...lts#exit-polls

Last edited by john3232; 11-13-2022 at 07:59 PM..

Old 11-13-2022, 09:03 PM

13,490 posts, read 7,478,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Barring a miracle Lake is done. She didn't the numbers she needed tonight.

Will she cry foul? Unless someone comes up with video footage of bags of ballots being remove from a voting center it's... over.

Rep. leadership need to seriously look at what Florida is doing regarding early voting.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...l#post64446148

If there's any positive news for the Rep party in AZ: One news outlet reported exit polls showing Lake received 47% of the Hispanic vote which is very good. Masters nabbed 40%.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...lts#exit-polls
State Senator J.D Mesnard of Chandler passed a law this year to allow ballots carried to a polling site to be put into a tabulation machine instead of just dropping off the ballot inside of the envelope it doesn't go into effect until next election. The way it was written it allowed counties to have this as an option. He wants to go back and make it required so we don't have 290k dropped off on election night they will be tabulated as they are dropped off.

You can read about here if you're a subscriber to Arizona Republic.

Old 11-13-2022, 10:46 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,327,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
I said this elsewhere and I've going to say it again here.

Twenty years ago every voter or every voter household was mailed a sample ballot and told when and where to vote. Many folks did have a home computer, but if you carried that thing in your pocket it barley made phone calls. There wasn't the widespread polling place problems we hear about today. And results were usually in on Election night.

Now we all carry a damn computer in our pockets that is ten times more powerful than any PC you had back then and they can't count votes anymore?

Atlas Shrugged in 2020, we saw 1984 come to life in 2020. You'll see. Hindsight is 20-20 and that is the year our Republic fell.
Not sure what the correlation is between what kind of computer a person has, and why the votes can't be counted in a timely manner. Two separate issues all together. The process is taking extra long for various reasons, but incompetence on a human level is a big part of it. If you want voting to be like it was 20, 30, 40 years ago, then we might as well get rid of all our "smart" technology, go back to doing our banking transactions only with a human teller inside a branch, stop doing on line money transfers, and forget about using ATMs.

I've been in the financial industry for a long time, and I can assure you that there's a much greater potential for fraud to to occur while doing all these above mentioned things we take for granted every day. Every financial institution has fraud investigations departments, which have grown exponentially over the last decade or so because of all the fraud that occurs with doing ACH transactions, or just about anything else that is web/computer based & money related.

Bottom line: we think nothing about the high risk for fraud when pulling our our phones or debit cards to make purchases, but we're so paranoid about the lower chances of fraud while submitting ballots that we refuse to incorporate modern technology into the voting process?! Makes absolutely no sense. So that's one reason why the tabulation process is slow. Paper ballots slow things down, regardless if they're submitted at a polling place on Election Day, or sent in several weeks prior. Implement technology into voting & tabulating (assuring it's virtually free of glitches), and it would be much more efficient.

Old 11-14-2022, 12:09 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,914,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised
I never thought of that POV before. But you are right, this could skyrocket her net worth. The chances of her not thinking about this are around 0%. I repped you accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Honest question, can outlets like Newsmax pay the fat anchor salaries of mainstream networks? Do they have regular advertisers? I thought the same thing, but thought she may have played the loony card a bit heavy, even for Fox.
I doubt they could match Fox or CNN in terms of salary, however, they offer her a level of influence that no mainstream outlet would be able to give.

She has played the loony card a bit too much for mainstream audiences - a point that's all the more clear now that the "red wave" has faltered, and it looks like more people are rebuking Trumpian politics. Fox already has its peanut gallery, and with Lake's clearly bombastic and egotistical nature, combined with her reputation for being a difficult person to work with, I'm sure they would view her coming onboard as something she would exploit to her benefit, in the hopes of bolstering her chances for the next cycle.

Newsmax and OANN, though, thrive on the sort of extremism that she espouses. Even if they aren't able to offer her the same salary, they offer her a regular place in front of the sort of people who will agree to put their faith in her and take her word as gospel, and then show up to her rallies and engagements, donate to her campaigns, and otherwise put in heavily to help her in the next election cycle. Relative to the other hosts, she'd be an absolute rockstar. Whatever she lost in her salary, she would make up for from the public and in maintaining a level of relevance in national politics.

Another thing for everyone breathing a sigh of relief right now, is that most of these contentious elections still ended up very close to 50/50. If we do indeed see Hobbs win, this isn't hardly a situation where the MAGA crowd, Boogaloo Boys, Oath Keepers, 3%'ers, Qanon, etc have been relegated to the dustbin of America's collective ADHD and short memory. The margins were, in some cases, the number of people who go to shop at a Walmart on any given weekend. Most of those people aren't going to do a 180 in the next 2 years.

I think a lot of this election has boiled down to people finding a meandering, milquetoast Democratic party that promises progress it is unlikely to fulfill preferable to an in-your-face, grievance-driven Republican party that promises regressive vengeance. If the GOP switches gears and pushes out the radical separatists in favor of more moderate politicians, the Dems might not be able to keep their narrow lead next time.

Old 11-14-2022, 05:01 AM

3,411 posts, read 4,671,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Not sure what the correlation is between what kind of computer a person has, and why the votes can't be counted in a timely manner. Two separate issues all together. The process is taking extra long for various reasons, but incompetence on a human level is a big part of it. If you want voting to be like it was 20, 30, 40 years ago, then we might as well get rid of all our "smart" technology, go back to doing our banking transactions only with a human teller inside a branch, stop doing on line money transfers, and forget about using ATMs.

I've been in the financial industry for a long time, and I can assure you that there's a much greater potential for fraud to to occur while doing all these above mentioned things we take for granted every day. Every financial institution has fraud investigations departments, which have grown exponentially over the last decade or so because of all the fraud that occurs with doing ACH transactions, or just about anything else that is web/computer based & money related.

Bottom line: we think nothing about the high risk for fraud when pulling our our phones or debit cards to make purchases, but we're so paranoid about the lower chances of fraud while submitting ballots that we refuse to incorporate modern technology into the voting process?! Makes absolutely no sense. So that's one reason why the tabulation process is slow. Paper ballots slow things down, regardless if they're submitted at a polling place on Election Day, or sent in several weeks prior. Implement technology into voting & tabulating (assuring it's virtually free of glitches), and it would be much more efficient.
In a perfect world without fraud, we would all be voting at home on our PCs. No mail in ballots, no driving to the polls. All this technology, yet we can't figure out how to count votes in a timely manner.

Old 11-14-2022, 05:37 AM

9,870 posts, read 11,263,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
You are spot on. But some people think of a "paper trail" to mean literally paper. I guess at the end of the day, people are worried because of data breaches.

I realize it’s a little off-topic. But before we pat ourselves on the back on how sophisticated we are in the digital age with exchanging funds, I contend we are archaic and need a massive overhaul! Let me explain. All I need is your checking account routing number and account number to steal funds from you. Let’s say you have had your checking account for multiple years. Businesses legally must destroy a check that they cleared after 14 days. Yet many keep a copy for accounting purposes. A lot of words to say as sure as I am sitting here, a 20-year-old checking account with 10,000 written checks have multiple copies floating around in folders. Someone can easily have access to withdrawing $’s out of your checking. In fact, I could withdraw $$’s out of your checking account with complete ease. Yea, I would go to jail. But maybe I have terminal cancer and I don't care. But it would be super easy to steal $$. In one quick example, I could sign-up for Quickbooks online as a business, tie it into a checking account that I will quickly pull out $$ after my fraud,. I could create a fictitious invoice that I would send to another person for a $10K bill. Then, that person loads your name, address, and account info. Poof! Your funds are gone! Your fraud department is clueless.

Now, banks will tell you that they will cover that loss. And they will… Unless you were reckless with your account information. And proof you weren’t. You get my point.

Next up, think about how easy it is to steal money from a credit card. In this case, the merchant is on the line for taking a bad credit card. Still, stealing $$ is a BIG business. As we all know, getting into a database and manipulating data can never be bulletproof. Just ask 100 major breaches like these sites:
https://termly.io/resources/articles...data-breaches/

Never mind I can steal from social security, welfare, etc with ease. And people who are not in this discipline (like me) can picture how someone could get at the data. To be clear, SO FAR THERE IS NO PROOF. And if a database was breached, I would hope someone would say so.

Old 11-14-2022, 05:48 AM

9,870 posts, read 11,263,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Honest question, can outlets like Newsmax pay the fat anchor salaries of mainstream networks? Do they have regular advertisers? I thought the same thing, but thought she may have played the loony card a bit heavily, even for Fox.
I went to high school with Gretchen Carlson of Fox who brought down Ailes. By the way, some people think she is dumb because she was blonde and Miss America. Nope, she was 1st in her class of 900 students (Anoka Sr. High: home of Garrison Keilor and Michelle Backmann). She went to Stanford and was a world-class musician (I was in her orchestra: as in, OMG was she talented!) She is extremely bright and heavily motivated.

Anyways, Gretchen made about $1.5M a year and on the morning show. Looking here https://finty.com/us/net-worth/kari-lake/, it seems people think Lake made about $600K at KSAZ-TV (Fox 10 Phoenix). I guess I am surprised by that number. As in, I doubt she made that much.

Old 11-14-2022, 07:07 AM

51,271 posts, read 36,923,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
She could end up being T's running mate, too. The only qualification being that you kiss the ring. But he likes her a lot.

Old 11-14-2022, 09:42 AM

13,490 posts, read 7,478,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She could end up being T's running mate, too. The only qualification being that you kiss the ring. But he likes her a lot.
That could be where Lake ends up she does check all the boxes for him she attractive i'm sure he likes that. Reminds me of Sarah Palin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona