Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 08:54 AM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,693 times

Advertisements

The slow counting is quite funny.
Isn't this mainly due to allowing mail-in ballots which increases risk of fraud and doubt.

Undeveloped countries have a vote on 1 or 2 days and you know that night. It's done and over.
The reason is they don't allow mail-in ballots.
Our election process needs to be first world in every state not. Each state should not have their own set of voting laws when the person elected is holding a federal position.

Old 11-13-2022, 08:59 AM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
I thought by now the race would have started to put Lake in the lead, but evidently that has not happened yet. It is a very very close race though. I have to say Lake does seem to have some good policies, in store for Arizona if she wins. More actually than Hobbs. I imagine though her manner of running her campaign and her election denial, maybe has hindered her in this election. I don't know though its up to the voters of Arizona.

Old 11-13-2022, 09:06 AM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Isn't this mainly due to allowing mail-in ballots which increases risk of fraud and doubt.

Undeveloped countries have a vote on 1 or 2 days and you know that night. It's done and over.
Our election process needs to be first world in every state not. Each state should not have their own set of voting laws when the person elected is holding a federal position.
I agree. A country that calls itself the United States, should drop this 50 states operating as separate countries format. At least when it comes to Voting and there are candidates, that are going to hold a federal position.

Old 11-13-2022, 09:38 AM

962 posts, read 469,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Electronic ballots would be just as problematic as paper ones. You simply replace "lost in the mail" with "lost due to a technical glitch", and replace paper ballot fraud with fraud-by-hacking.
How do you do an audit of hacked data. I prefer a paper trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Of course the fraud is still less common than Republicans think but likely more common than Democrats will admit.
Don't both-sides it. After 2020 the Rs did everything in their power, which was considerable, to show there was a fraud problem and came up with nothing. A few people per state voting their dead mother's ballot (overwhelmingly Rs, by the way), having no impact at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
In the spirit of fairness, there were multiple democrats that funded nutjobs in the primaries in order to pick a weaker candidate to run against. About $44M worth. That pisses me off!

It was a winning strategy and as long as the Dems have the money... all's fair in love, war...and politics.
It's a symptom of the "anything goes" election funding system. Kinda like the republican-funded independent candidates with almost the same name as the dem in Fla to split the dem vote.

Quote:
There is zero evidence that vote-by-mail increases the risk of fraud. The idea that it does, and any doubt sown by that risk, which again, does not exist, is just part of the election-denier strategy.

Quote:
Apples and oranges - Every time someone gives an example of a national election being counted same-day, they neglect to point out that ballot had only one or two races on it. Our ballots not only have the federal offices, but also state reps, school boards, water district commissions, community college commissioners, corporation commissioners, 30+ judges, dog catcher, fly catcher, and 10 ballot initiative questions. That all has to be tallied for each ballot.

Quote:
Not agreeing or disagreeing, but there are major constitutional and states rights issues there.

Old 11-13-2022, 12:37 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,090,811 times
I said this elsewhere and I've going to say it again here.

Twenty years ago every voter or every voter household was mailed a sample ballot and told when and where to vote. Many folks did have a home computer, but if you carried that thing in your pocket it barley made phone calls. There wasn't the widespread polling place problems we hear about today. And results were usually in on Election night.

Now we all carry a damn computer in our pockets that is ten times more powerful than any PC you had back then and they can't count votes anymore?

Atlas Shrugged in 2020, we saw 1984 come to life in 2020. You'll see. Hindsight is 20-20 and that is the year our Republic fell.

Old 11-13-2022, 01:16 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Must be hard to get copium these days.

Old 11-13-2022, 01:22 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post

Twenty years ago every voter or every voter household was mailed a sample ballot and told when and where to vote. Many folks did have a home computer, but if you carried that thing in your pocket it barley made phone calls. There wasn't the widespread polling place problems we hear about today. And results were usually in on Election night.

Now we all carry a damn computer in our pockets that is ten times more powerful than any PC you had back then and they can't count votes anymore?
Trump and his acolytes demanded a thorough hand recount, with UV lights and microscopes to figure out if the ballots were made on Chinese bamboo paper, they basically threw every conspiracy theory that came across Trump's Twitter feed to the wall, and nothing stuck.

Do you think the fine people marching around the Maricopa voting facility claiming fraud would accept digital tabulation? Especially with so many of the MAGA politicians and pundits already demanding a recount...

Of course, AZ could adopt the same policies and methods that allow more populous states to give their results much more quickly, but, I have a feeling that the most vocal of the people demanding "election reforms" in the spirit of "protecting democracy" would have an aneurysm if AZ used technology to declare results more quickly. Think of all the conspiracy theories that would pop up around it.

Quote:
Atlas Shrugged in 2020, we saw 1984 come to life in 2020. You'll see. Hindsight is 20-20 and that is the year our Republic fell.
Yup. Really is a shame what the insurrectionists tried to do to our nation.

Old 11-13-2022, 01:22 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post

Here is one answer.

"Maricopa is not only the most populous county in Arizona, it is the fourth-most
populous county in the United States. Press accounts at the time suggested that a dramatic reduction
in polling places was the culprit. In the 2012 primary, for example,[u] there were more than 200 polling
locations. In 2016, there were 60 vote centers. Voters could cast a ballot at any vote center in the
county – regardless of address. The drastic reduction in voting locations followed cuts to state
election funding"

From https://www.brennancenter.org/sites/..._Explained.pdf

At the end of the day, there have been dozens of changes read https://www.ncsl.org/research/electi...azine2021.aspx . Each change has an impact on lines and procedures to make sure elections are fair. Now, that takes time. And in many instances, voter lines are desired. Specifically in locations where you want to suppress the vote.

Old 11-13-2022, 01:30 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
She won’t make up the difference needed. 68% coming from R districts doesn’t mean she’ll take anywhere near 68% of the vote. That fails to account for independents and the many split ticket R voters who couldn’t stomach Lake. Also, Pima still has 53k outstanding ballots and thus far, Hobbs has taken 64% of that county. Lake is still selling a pipe dream to get the base worked up.
I dont think it's likely she will win at this point, though it is still within the realm of possibility.

The delusional, performative outrage - "we've won!" and refusal to say she would concede, for example - will serve her well in being a talking head for Newsmax or another right-wing media outlet. She will do what she can to stay on the national stage and maintain relevance in the Trump sphere, and whatever radical right movement takes its place, so that in 24, 26, 28, she can try again. I imagine her trying to shout and push her way into national politics after this.

Right now she's Arizona's problem; soon, she'll be the whole country's :/

Old 11-13-2022, 03:57 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
The delusional, performative outrage - "we've won!" and refusal to say she would concede, for example - will serve her well in being a talking head for Newsmax or another right-wing media outlet. She will do what she can to stay on the national stage and maintain relevance in the Trump sphere, and whatever radical right movement takes its place, so that in 24, 26, 28, she can try again. I imagine her trying to shout and push her way into national politics after this.
I never thought of that POV before. But you are right, this could skyrocket her net worth. The chances of her not thinking about this are around 0%. I repped you accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona