Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 05:25 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,075,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
How has nobody mentioned Pizzeria Bianco? It's got to be in this discussion.
though I'm very sure that place has great pizzas and high quality food, I'm afraid it's become the kind of place some people go to so they can say they went there....the notorious two-hour waits, at times, seems like a silly waste of time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 09:18 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,523,288 times
La Piazza Al Forno

La Piazza Al Forno | Brick Oven Pizzeria Napoletana & Italian Kitchen | Glendale, Arizona

Carrabbas is good as far as chains go.

Carrabba's Italian Grill - Restaurant Gift Cards - Locations - Menu

Otherwise, still looking....

Old 12-22-2010, 09:39 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,706,127 times
I like food, not a critic and don't care what their taste buds are like either.
I grew up with a lot of Italian cooking. Many of my friends and girl friends were Italian in the old days where I grew up. I also do not cater to these corporate cooking giants that think they know what good food is.
Here in Prescott I find LaBruzza's is very good. The are not priced high, it's country style Italian and the service is good.
Of note, they do not sell wine there and many like wine with there meal. But they will serve you if you bring your own. They have glasses ready for you. And for the tourists there is a drive through liquor store just 2 blocks down the road to get whatever you want.
I have taken a few people there and the service and food is great to tall that have been there.
It's a bit off the beaten path for most tourists however.

LaBruzza's Italian Ristorante

Old 12-23-2010, 11:23 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,676,843 times
Red Devil, McDowell and something toward the east side. They have another one on the west side, but the one on the east side (original one) is better--atmosphere anyways. Food at both is very good--not a "chain" restaurant either.

And, Florencia's, Sun City West, Camino Del Sol--excellent pizza, and I mean good. Not Domino's.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 12-23-2010 at 11:36 AM..

Old 12-23-2010, 12:55 PM

932 posts, read 1,965,189 times
Hanny's in downtown Phoenix, on Adams and 1st street has excellant pizza. It's considered an American resturant but serves Italian food. Strange, but it's an amazing hip and urban dining place in the heart of downtown.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:44 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,592,558 times
My favorite is Vincitorio's in south Tempe, Elliot and McClintock.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:22 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,880,099 times
I haven't been but I hear Giuseppe off Scottsdale Rd and Thunderbird Rd (it's near Jack in the Box) is very good and the owner is from Italy too.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:15 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,677,798 times
Nick's Italian Steak and Crab House in Cottonwood.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:28 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,316,181 times
There are a lot of great Italian restaurants in the Valley and I've heard the "I'm Italian and I hate all Italian restaurants in the Valley EXCEPT......this one" Funny thing is all these Italians can't agree on one that tastes authentic and some of the places they claimed tasted authentic weren't that great or Authentic.

If you want true Chicago style deep dish pizza, the best place in the valley is Vinnys in Glendale. It's owned by a big fat Italian guy from Cicero in Chicago. The guy makes his own sausage...everything is authentic. It's just him and his wife that cook. It's delicious

The best pasta is Marcelino in Phoenix. The owner/chef is from Italy and his restaurant used to stay open only part of the year because he would fly back to Italy in the summers. The most authentic NY style pizza is Grimaldis which is owned by the same family who owns Patsy Grimaldis pizzerias in NY and they even have a machine that creates the water to mimic NY water.

That being said, I don't always like authentic Italian food. I like Americanized Italian food. I've been to Italy and true Italian food isn't so great. Italian people, for the most part are poor so you don't see huge helpings of cheese and red meat like you do in the States. You don't get a lot of beef and pork in real Italian food. They eat a lot of fish and shellfish in Italy. In Italy, it's mostly sea food and light pasta. It's very flavorful but very different than what you get in the United States. I laugh when people talk about authentic Italian food particularly Italians because what they really mean is authentic Italian American food not true food from Italy. David Chase, the creator of the Sopranos had a great episode where Tony's Jersey Italians flew to Italy and were completely clueless about true Italian food, I remember the scene where Paulie asked the waiter for "Some macaroni with gravy" and the waiter looked at him as if he was some moron. Hilarious

Old 12-28-2010, 03:49 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,459,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
My favorite is Vincitorio's in south Tempe, Elliot and McClintock.
That place is so close to my house I could walk there, (and probably should, so I could walk off a big meal )but I've never eaten there except for a party where pizza was the menu. The fact that it has been there a long time says something for it, given the nature of the restaurant business and the economic situation. Since yours was the second post to mention it, I think it's time for dinner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona