Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 09:03 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,837,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Pima County does also

And actually, it is a state law - predicated on population within the county
Just curious, but do you have a reference for that? The AZEQ website says this: "Unless specifically exempted, all 1967 and newer vehicles (including diesels) that are registered in the metro Phoenix (Area A) or Tucson (Area B) emission test areas must receive an emissions inspection no more than 90 days prior to registration."

So it appears to be specifically a Phoenix and Tucson thing.

Regardless, my point still stands. Having AZ plates doesn't mean that the vehicle passed a smog inspection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 09:09 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Just curious, but do you have a reference for that? The AZEQ website says this: "Unless specifically exempted, all 1967 and newer vehicles (including diesels) that are registered in the metro Phoenix (Area A) or Tucson (Area B) emission test areas must receive an emissions inspection no more than 90 days prior to registration."

So it appears to be specifically a Phoenix and Tucson thing.

Regardless, my point still stands. Having AZ plates doesn't mean that the vehicle passed a smog inspection.
Tucson equals Pima County.

Additionally, if you drive into Maricopa or Pima county, say for employment, yet you live in another county, you still have to be emissions tested. I live in Pinal County (near Florence Junction) but my office is in Mesa. I had to have my car smog tested to license

Old 12-20-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Tucson equals Pima County.
Nope. Pima County is larger than just Tucson. Marana is also in Pima County, but doesn't require smog testing according to that AZEQ link I presented.

But this isn't relevant to the fact that you can't tell whether a car has been smog checked just because it has AZ plates..

Old 12-20-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Additionally, if you drive into Maricopa or Pima county, say for employment, yet you live in another county, you still have to be emissions tested. I live in Pinal County (near Florence Junction) but my office is in Mesa. I had to have my car smog tested to license
(You added this part after my last reply.)

How does the MVD know where you work? I don't recall either my driver's license application, nor vehicle registration applications asking me where I work. How could this possibly be enforced? People change jobs all the time. My company's HQ is in Phoenix. You're telling me that when I visit HQ, I'm risking a ticket because my vehicle isn't smogged? Hogwash.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
You're telling me that when I visit HQ, I'm risking a ticket because my vehicle isn't smogged? Hogwash.
This site from ADEQ might be of interest to you:

ADEQ: VEI Address Locator

Old 12-20-2008, 10:21 AM

27,350 posts, read 27,405,100 times
Quote:
Perhaps you missed the stated fact that AZ has dozens of different license plates. Sheesh.

And the issue isn't that cops can't remember all of them. The issue is that many of them look like plates from other states.

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. The state wants you to display your license plate completely unobstructed on your vehicle. Seems reasonable to me.

Guess youre right, my bad, I forgot about the different types of plates. Granted, maybe plates should be fully visible. But even still, there are more important things to pull people over for, such as speeding, talking on cellphones while driving, running lights ....or am I missing something here?

Old 12-20-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
You're telling me that when I visit HQ, I'm risking a ticket because my vehicle isn't smogged? Hogwash.
This site from ADEQ might be of interest to you:
ADEQ: VEI Address Locator
That proves my point. "If your residence is in..." It says nothing about your place of employment.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
That proves my point. "If your residence is in..." It says nothing about your place of employment.
Correction noted. The point is, if you live outside the county (as I do), I still have to have smog tests because of driving into the county (as I do to my office)

Old 12-20-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Correction noted. The point is, if you live outside the county (as I do), I still have to have smog tests because of driving into the county (as I do to my office)
Why? How do they know where you work? I'm guessing this is a company vehicle registered at the address of your office.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Why? How do they know where you work? I'm guessing this is a company vehicle registered at the address of your office.
No - it is a personal vehicle. It is based on where you live (residence address) outside of the area. I guess they figure that you will make regular trips into the county hence the smog requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona