Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 10:48 AM

263 posts, read 1,079,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Regardless, my point still stands. Having AZ plates doesn't mean that the vehicle passed a smog inspection.

I've never had an emmisions test done in xx years of living in AZ, except once and that was an 89 truck that i registed in 1999. In the last ten years i've been an owner of, hmm, say, 6+ cars/trucks. I've lived in both Maricopa county and Cochise county. I've moved out of state and back, but still never had to get my car/truck through the emissions tests, except that one time.

In fact, I just got an email from ADOT to get new tags on my 2004 car...here's a part:

"Registration[...]will expire January 15, 2009. Please pay on or before this date to avoid penalty fees.
NO EMISSIONS TEST REQUIRED
For more information click here.

Fees for a 1 year renewal are:
Veh License Tax$125.62Registration$8.00Air Quality$1.50Total$135.12
"

I don't know if this is true, but I always heard (local talk) that the vehicle has to be more than 8-10 years old or something like before it's required to pass an emmisions test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No - it is a personal vehicle. It is based on where you live (residence address) outside of the area. I guess they figure that you will make regular trips into the county hence the smog requirement.

How old is the vehicle?

Old 12-20-2008, 10:55 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec34 View Post
How old is the vehicle?
I have several: Oldest being a 2004

I have a 2007 motorcycle - it has had to be tested

Old 12-20-2008, 11:25 AM

Hmm, well, there's only one possiblity left: did you vote for Obama and not McCain? JK ;-)

Old 12-20-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Hmm, well, there's only one possiblity left: did you vote for Obama and not McCain? JK ;-)
Neither one

Old 12-20-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I've never had an emmisions test done in xx years of living in AZ,

I don't know if this is true, but I always heard (local talk) that the vehicle has to be more than 8-10 years old or something like before it's required to pass an emmisions test.
Do you live in the Phoenix / Tucson area? If so, to register your vehicle, emissions testing is required.

And no, it is not true what you "heard". New / newer cars have to pass as well. Newer cars are however, "held to a higher standard"

One of the things looked for is someone who has "tinkered" with the emissions controls.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Do you live in the Phoenix / Tucson area? If so, to register your vehicle, emissions testing is required.

And no, it is not true what you "heard". New / newer cars have to pass as well. Newer cars are however, "held to a higher standard"

One of the things looked for is someone who has "tinkered" with the emissions controls.

Yes to your first question. As I've stated I've never needed this. Look at my email clipping i Just got from the ADOT....those letters were bolded by them in the email, not me.

"Registration[...]will expire January 15, 2009. Please pay on or before this date to avoid penalty fees.
NO EMISSIONS TEST REQUIRED
For more information click here.

Fees for a 1 year renewal are:
Veh License Tax$125.62Registration$8.00Air Quality$1.50Total$135.12
"

I can even register online wwithout leaving my lovely computer behind. Now they are really going green - saving me gas.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:56 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:

New cars (last five model years) are exempt from testing. Older models with testing ports are tested every two years. Testing for most cars now is done by connecting to the diagnostic port of the vehicle and checking the gas cap and converter. They don't put them on the dyno unless they are the old ones without onboard diagnostics. Few "tamper" with emissions controls on late model cars. It's all managed by a computer. The days of leaning out the carb for the test are both gone and unnecessary. I think that emissions testing has outlived its usefulness.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:56 PM

116 posts, read 368,557 times
Well, I think that an average Law Enforcement officer should never pull over any vehicle having the most popular license plate style bearing the cactus for only solely that reason even if a license plate cover obscures the word ARIZONA. But the other specialized ones should be the only subject of doubt if covered.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:04 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,295,513 times
We just had to have our 2003 GMC have an emissions test... required by Maricopa County.

And... really, I don't think an officer is going to pull you over soley for having "Arizona" covered up UNLESS they need an excuse.. for example if they think you are driving under the influence or other suspicions they may have. I would hope I don't get pulled over and get a ticket for that simply because there are plenty of other things they could catch.. like speeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona