Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:53 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
This I will say:

Since an 18 YO male has to register for Selective Service (draft registration); he (along with 18+ females) has the right to leave school during breaks, etc. as far as I am concerned.

Age 17 on down I can understand keeping them on the school grounds for liability reasons if nothing else.

Although; in my own case, there would have been no legal way to keep me on campus 3 months prior to my 18th birthday---------I had already graduated from 12th grade (June 1975, turned age 18 the following Sept).
Oh, man, don't get me started on this BS! Yeah, it's perfectly fine to be sent to die at 18, be given a license to kill people at 16 ('cause that's what driving at 16 is to me), get married at 18 (or much younger in many states), but God forbid you have a champagne toast at your own wedding!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,234 times
Talking here you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
I think this is the most rediculous protest I have seen. I never was able to leave campus during lunch when I was in school - life was fine going to a school cafe. I hope parents are not supporting this. Students leaving for lunch means more traffic and accidents. That's my opinion.

1,200 walk out to protest Peoria lunch policy (broken link)
Hey listen up, if you're going to try to call something "rediculous" then you might want to start by spelling it right. Plus this doesn't mean anything about more traffic or accidents. Moderator cut: rude comment

Last edited by sablebaby; 01-09-2008 at 12:04 PM..

Old 01-09-2008, 12:01 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
AZ traffic is horrible and I want my Senior son to stay on campus during lunch. He was just involved in a bad accident last night and I wish I could teach him to fly instead of drive here. Staying on campus will reduce the accidents and potential fatalities.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,952 times
I think people are really blowing this out of proportion. Parents seem to be for kids staying in school while students seem to want to leave. Being a students myself i understand why they want to leave. Not that the food is nasty, but try eating the same thing for 38 weeks it just kanda gets old after a while. And who can say that the kids will get in a reck. No one really plans on recking do they?? And if the kids can't drive as perfect as the elders then why don't the parents teach them how to drive a little better. I do understand the liability for a student leaveing for lunch "off campus" and getting hurt would come back the the school being blamed, but whats wrong with the student having a parents consient? And a do age that if you have to be able to sign for a draft that you should maybe be aloud a little bit more leway. i Mean hinestky it does seem i little od if a young adult can by tobacoo or adult films but cant leave school to get lunch. i guess what im confused about is that i thought high school was ment to teach you to grow up and become an adult when all thats happening is were getting more and more sheltered. Sorry if i seemed to step on anyones toes but honestly i think i speak for most of the student body in the U.S. when i say this is getting way out of hand. To think in one year we will be paying our own bills and working our own jobs, but we still are not grown up enough to leave school for 30 minutes to get a bite to eat for lunch without someone flipping a lid.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:51 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,295,206 times
I was able to leave for lunch. But honestly, it doesn't really matter to me. If anything it saves the kid gas money and food money (cheaper at cafeteria) to stay. Plus, is your 45 minute lunch stuck at school really THAT big of a deal?? Really, it is high school. It may seem sooo important, but it is only for a few years and then you will be able to do what you want for lunch and wish it were as easy as it was in high school!

Old 12-08-2008, 05:06 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,494 times
To say that food is cheaper in the schools isn't necessarily true.

For the price of food at my school - I could have EASILY gone and pigged out at Taco Bell.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:14 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I think they should be able to leave too, but holding a protest is about as gay as it gets.
tee-hee. i agree!

Old 12-09-2008, 12:38 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
leave campus? absolutely not. School's are businesses, if you leave and don't come back, they don't get paid by the state. It's a liability.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:35 PM

482 posts, read 1,372,212 times
Open Campus=OPEN CASKET. There will be another fatal crash involving one of these Peoria students in the next month. Then they will shut up again, for a while. The school parking lots are about the most dangerous places on Earth. You can't be President until your 35; tough shiite.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:59 PM

18,124 posts, read 11,758,079 times
Closed for Moderator's review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona