Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 01:57 AM

615 posts, read 1,375,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_lady View Post
new jersey made it on to the top 10?
gross.
and the bias against the southern states is ridiculous. i love many of them and know quite a few people who love living there.
How could New Jersey be in the top 10? If you ask most people in the USA which states they would prefer to live in, I do not expect that many people would choose New Jersey as one of their favorite states to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 04:47 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
How could New Jersey be in the top 10? If you ask most people in the USA which states they would prefer to live in, I do not expect that many people would choose New Jersey as one of their favorite states to live in.
Good question, because IMO between the astronomical cost of housing, the way wages have failed to keep up, the fact that we're taxed to death, and the incredibly congested roads we have here, the quality of life isn't all that wonderful.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:57 AM

82 posts, read 280,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_lady View Post
new jersey made it on to the top 10?
gross.
and the bias against the southern states is ridiculous. i love many of them and know quite a few people who love living there.
I take offense to your description of NJ as "gross". I sincerely hope your opinion is based on more than a trip through Newark airport or the more densely populated northern region of the state (which some people **gasp*** actually like). Yes, it has negatives (high taxes, high population density, traffic issues) like any area. Overall, NJ is nice state. The southern half has many farms, lots of open space and quaint, small towns with strong community involvement. As a whole, NJ is a very safe place to live. It has a highly educated work force, top rated public education system, high wages, low unemployment, a somewhat mild climate with few natural distasters, etc... I get a little defensive when people bad-mouth NJ when they obviously haven't spent enough time exploring the many beautiful areas of NJ. There is a reason why it's called the "Garden State". I, for one, understand why it made the top 10 for livability.

I'm sure that one of the reasons that the southern states are ranked low for livability has to do with the educational systems, low-skilled work force, low average income, high poverty rates and crime rates. However, just like there are extremes in all states, the southern states will have their affluent and poor areas as well. The only thing this study tells you is that on "average" the top states are more livable than the others.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:54 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlips View Post
I take offense to your description of NJ as "gross". I sincerely hope your opinion is based on more than a trip through Newark airport or the more densely populated northern region of the state (which some people **gasp*** actually like). Yes, it has negatives (high taxes, high population density, traffic issues) like any area. Overall, NJ is nice state. The southern half has many farms, lots of open space and quaint, small towns with strong community involvement. As a whole, NJ is a very safe place to live. It has a highly educated work force, top rated public education system, high wages, low unemployment, a somewhat mild climate with few natural distasters, etc... I get a little defensive when people bad-mouth NJ when they obviously haven't spent enough time exploring the many beautiful areas of NJ. There is a reason why it's called the "Garden State". I, for one, understand why it made the top 10 for livability.

I'm sure that one of the reasons that the southern states are ranked low for livability has to do with the educational systems, low-skilled work force, low average income, high poverty rates and crime rates. However, just like there are extremes in all states, the southern states will have their affluent and poor areas as well. The only thing this study tells you is that on "average" the top states are more livable than the others.

But NJ is not sunny all the time, therefore it must "suck".

Old 06-04-2007, 12:58 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,487,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlips View Post
I have never had the pleasure and good fortune to visit Southern New Jersey, which I have always regretted. Once I move back to the USA I intend to finally visit the home state of my parent's and my ancestors since not only the arrival of European settlers in the 17th century, but also of my mom's people, the Lenni Lenape. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about Southern New Jersey. If we weren't so determined on returning to Arizona I would seriously consider a move to either Cumberland County or Salem County.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:56 PM

35 posts, read 354,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
Did she do any research at all before she moved? Her complaints are all things that she could have easily found out before she uplifted her entire life to move somewhere just so she could buy a cheap house.

There's a lot more to life then just owning a bigger house and if the negatives of AZ so heavily outweigh the positives for her, she should move back to CA and rent an apartment.

First of all, she did not disrupt her life to move to AZ. And there are some things you don't know about a place until you live there. Such as not seeing people riding bikes or walking because of the heat. The lack of diversity among people, high cost of car insurance, poor air quality due to lack of rain, conservative employers and the list goes on.
Do you realize there are actually people living in Phoenix who have never seen fog?

Old 06-04-2007, 04:09 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickie View Post
First of all, she did not disrupt her life to move to AZ. And there are some things you don't know about a place until you live there. Such as not seeing people riding bikes or walking because of the heat. The lack of diversity among people, high cost of car insurance, poor air quality due to lack of rain, conservative employers and the list goes on.
Do you realize there are actually people living in Phoenix who have never seen fog?
They must sleep 'till noon. Fog is fairly common here on winter mornings after a rain. But then it clears and the suns shines gloriously again .

Old 06-04-2007, 04:17 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,959,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
Extremely. North Carolina is a booming state -- high standard of living for many people, great job growth, low costs. South Carolina is also growing to a lesser extent but also has a high standard of living and is my favorite place in the USA between the mountains and historic foothills, college towns and barbecue, and the gorgeous historic palmetto coast. Of course there is poverty in these states but it's not worse than in any state up north. I doubt you would find a substantial difference between say Troy, New York and Pikeville, Kentucky.

CA and Arizona are screwed up states they are going to eventually run out of water. I love people to think that the South is backwards and unliveable - keeps people out of my beloved Palmetto State.

Charlotte NC is beautiful I got a job making the same money as Phx quick and my new house is amazing for 299,000. 3300 sqft.

Been seeing lots of AZ plates here the past month.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickie View Post

I hadn't see fog in 19 years When I saw driving to NC it freaked me out.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They must sleep 'till noon. Fog is fairly common here on winter mornings after a rain. But then it clears and the suns shines gloriously again .
I think he meant real fog not a misty morning fog. I was up early for work everyday and I didn't see the pea soup fog

Common after a rain in Az? Rain is not even common I'm just joking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona