Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 02:54 AM

24 posts, read 99,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Trust me, So Cal has WAY more crime then Phoenix. Your car might be stolen in Phoenix but it is more likely you will get gunned down in Los Angeles. I have to look at the stats but the L.A. area prob has more murders this 1st half of the year then Phoenix had all of last year.
According toModerator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed2005 statistics Phoenix had more murders per capita and higher crime in general. Although this comparison only includes L.A. and Phoenix, not the surrounding metro areas. I would be more interested in a website that compares metropolitan crime statistics, because living in L.A. city is much different than living in Santa Monica for example, just as living in Phoenix is different than Scottsdale...

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 05:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 09:32 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,649 times

F.B.I. Stats -- Crime in the United States by Metropolitan Statistical Area, 2005
(http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/data/table_06.html - broken link)

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA M.S.A population of 13,011,161 had 1,145 Murders. Total Violent Crime was 74,880

Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ M.S.A. (Maricopa and Pinal) population of 3,841,790 had 307 Murders. Total Violent Crime was 19,709

Old 06-14-2007, 03:55 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,162,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Trust me, So Cal has WAY more crime then Phoenix. Your car might be stolen in Phoenix but it is more likely you will get gunned down in Los Angeles. I have to look at the stats but the L.A. area prob has more murders this 1st half of the year then Phoenix had all of last year.

I would consider both Chandler and Gilbert nice areas to live in. If I had a choice I would take Gilbert...I was going to move to Gilbert before the location of my Job Change to the NW Valley. So I bought in Surprise. My dad says I live in the sticks. So far Very quiet and nice the see teenagers walking down the street without them cussing/threatening you...which is my experience in Cal.

Anyways, here is the L.A. death Map
It's so weird to read some of the details of those killings. Some brutal stuff! Makes me think twice about going there again.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:08 PM

139 posts, read 530,177 times
I think a lot of people come here because of jobs, not out of love for Arizona.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:21 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
Another good point.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:36 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,953,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L_A_Woman View Post
Though no place on earth is going to be completely crime free, there are many areas still where the 'good ol boy' lifestyle still exists no one feels they are superior to the other. I love the midwest and southern states, despite the weather conditions. Folks out there really are very hospitable, friendly. Basically your choice is the friendly down-home folks or the higher end (or as other people call them, the 'snooty' people in some areas) and the extreme weather, but again, its a toss up, to each their own.

I'm in a southern state and I can't get enough of this weather. I just want to be outdoors all the time. It's June so I'm not sure how bad it will get here in Charlotte as far as humidity goes but so far I can't believe it. It's been very refreshing on all counts. I honestly don't feel like my head is on the oven here. To each his own though I agree. I enjoy the humidity it makes my skin feel good.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,204 times
Hi im new-I love arizona it is great i live in tempe i moved here from Sioux Falls Sd.I cant take cold weather i was raised in FLA.Tempe is a smaller city it is a college town.I have lived here 12yrs and hardly ever had any trouble.It is hot but i like hot.I wll take arizona any day.I think arizona is bueatiful i love the sunsets and the surises they are bueatiful.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:49 PM

26 posts, read 73,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
LOL I have to laugh as I'm reading your post to my husband. He thinks the water in Phx peeled his hair off his head.

Since we've been gone he swears it's growing back. I have noticed an inprovement in my skin since I've been gone a few months. I wouldn't have believed it.

Nothing personal, but... Mission Partially Accomplished.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:07 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Funny:

Despite my Liberal leanings.............note that I rank bleeding hearts right alongside staunch Conservatives admittedly; I have done well in so-called 'Conservative' Arizona. Part of my beliefs are also Libertarian

As for Phoenix's issues with overcrowding, etc. that is typical of all big cities.

I still stand by my opinion that Tucson as all of Phx's drawbacks plus a few more.

Quote:
The sun is far more destructive than ice. Leave your car untouched outside in AZ for a few years, in the sun, and see what happens
As for Steve-O's comment about the sun being nasty: he is correct----------just that Washington DC is just as unpleasant in the summer as here. The key word is 'Heat Index'. Much, much higher humidity---------95F there with its 80% humidity equals our 105F with 10%.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:42 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
I think a lot of people come here because of jobs, not out of love for Arizona.
True enough----------and, quite frankly; that crowd can leave any time to be blunt.

Myself: even taking a cut in pay is worth it compared, say, to some back east state with its 4 seasons weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona