Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:14 PM

6 posts, read 100,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejk View Post
Have you been anywhere besides Yuma? I am always surprised at how different it is from one part of the state to another. But I think the drive from Phoenix to Yuma is about as boring as it can get.

If you get a chance to spend a few days in other parts before you go home, do it! Sedona, Flagstaff, the White Mountains-- all so different from Yuma.
Absolutely have to agree. Yuma isn't exactly a garden spot, but please before you think all of AZ is like Yuma, take a few days and drive to the White Mountains, which is just gorgeous, the weather is as beautiful, people are friendly. In the winter you can travel for two hours and see snow, so no, not all of AZ is like Yuma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 10:18 PM

6 posts, read 100,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxdrtom View Post
Having lived in AL (Selma), AZ (Willcox and Kingman), and TN (Morristown), I can only hope that these states continue recieving bad ratings as it keeps the sorry elements from moving to either place. We ignorant Southerners (ain't got no shoes) and lazy Westerners (AZ; land of we'll do it tomorrow) love and prefer being left alone by the intelligent and beautiful people to do and live as we please.
Thanks "taxdrtom", do completely agree with you. AZ native here - and would thoroughly love it if the majority of those who have moved into the state and spend any number of years complaining about it, would just go home where they prefer the weather, the sun, the water, etc., etc.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:54 PM

26 posts, read 158,770 times
ive spent some time in both the deserts and mountain areas of arizona, i lived in yuma and currently live in flagstaff. i absolutely hated living in yuma, too hot and it rained like twice a year. they did have good restruants though but that was about it. i'll never live there again.

flagstaff, is nice if it wasnt so overly expencive. i understand its a complete tourist trap but common now, EVERYTHING here is overpriced. but i guess thats what your gonna pay for living in "little colorado".

im going back to where life is more affordable, and just as beautiful. washington state.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:08 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,324,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
Extremely. North Carolina is a booming state -- high standard of living for many people, great job growth, low costs. South Carolina is also growing to a lesser extent but also has a high standard of living and is my favorite place in the USA between the mountains and historic foothills, college towns and barbecue, and the gorgeous historic palmetto coast. Of course there is poverty in these states but it's not worse than in any state up north. I doubt you would find a substantial difference between say Troy, New York and Pikeville, Kentucky.

CA and Arizona are screwed up states they are going to eventually run out of water. I love people to think that the South is backwards and unliveable - keeps people out of my beloved Palmetto State.
Hey I think AZ is going to run out of water too. I'm glad someone else does too.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:52 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,324,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
I've been to Iowa and South Dakota, and I would choose Arizona over those states ANY day. In fact, a day after I flew in to visit I called the airline to ask if I could come home early. I was never so happy to be home!

I think everyone judges Arizona on Phoenix. There are many other nice suburban cities to live in. I'm not sure what the purpose of this post is, but it sure makes a lot of generalizations about a state that has many great cities.
I'm glad someone sees the positive in AZ, but what is wrong with Phoenix? I don't think AZ is the greatest place in the world to live, but I don't think it is the worst either. I am an AZ native and I have some perspective on the growth history of the state. I love our winters, but lets face it there are a lot of problems here in every city. The population growth has is a mixed blessing. The pollution is enough to kill many elderly and sick people. Public transportation is poor at best so it simply is not an option to help the people or the pollution problems. Crime is up all over (especially violent and gang crime), traffic is seriously getting out of hand. The cost or living is sky high while the wages are still relatively low in comparison (MCC has raised wages some recently). The public school system sucks and a lot of AZ kids are being left behind. Since the population has exploded we now have these rolling black-outs where people lose eletric power. This is not good especially in the summer. We don't have enough water. The man made lakes are causing an insect problem with health risks. The illegal immigration from Mexico is a huge problem that no one can predict what is going to happen, but the potential for things to go very badly is great. There are more heat related deaths in AZ than any other state due to the extreme heat of our long summers. They are more unbearable every year because all the trees have been cut down for land development. I could go on, but I won't. I am sure other states have problems too, but let's keep it real in AZ. I don't mean to offend my fellow Arizonians. AZ has some real positives too like Indian gaming lots of housing (not that affordable though) and beautiful winters.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:45 PM

21 posts, read 92,280 times
Gosh the bruises from being your punching bag hurt. Yuma is not perfect however, being born and raised here and watching the population triple since I was in grade school (I am 32 now) hasn't been pleasant either. This used to be a very social and family-friendly community. It saddens me that we have graffitti, but that wasn't the case until CA started moving in for the "cheap housing". So, if you don't like Yuma, and you don't like the people that live here, please, please go home.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:46 PM

21 posts, read 92,280 times
graffitti and crime (that should have been added)

Old 09-22-2007, 04:08 AM

4,561 posts, read 4,098,262 times
Thats not surprising, that its not livable. Housing overpriced and wages are too low. You can't make a LIVING here. I was working as a teacher (yeah I know how we have it easy and are overpaid) and I couldn't afford anything other than a not so nice condo. Between that, and the outrageous heat of the 6 month summer. There are lots of places I'd sooner go and I could make a better living working minimum wage, than what I put up with here. To me its definitely not liveable.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:21 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch5352 View Post
Thanks "taxdrtom", do completely agree with you. AZ native here - and would thoroughly love it if the majority of those who have moved into the state and spend any number of years complaining about it, would just go home where they prefer the weather, the sun, the water, etc., etc.
Unfortunately you can't make a living in the beautiful parts of AZ. And once in Phoenix, with such low wages, you don't make enough to leave if you want to, nor can you sell your house. I know, I have been trying to go for years. You buy a house, not worth what you paid for it and can't sell it for what you need. You make enough to live but not enough to save. It is easy to get trapped here. I have had a 5 year plan for escaping Phoenix, it takes a lot of planning. Hopefully I will be gone in 2 years. If your planning on moving here, keep a "I have to get out of this place" fund. That way you won't get stuck here and have people keep telling you to" just leave if you don't like it". Boy, wouldn't that be great if one could just pick up and go like that. It's not that easy to do. I will always have this fund if I move anywhere else.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:46 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,949,702 times
Wow this so sounds Like El Paso TX to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona