Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 06:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times

Advertisements

I know, it depends on where you live, but I have to wonder: do those living in other parts of the state see as much wildlife as we do? What do you have running through your front or back yard or across the street? Right now I am watching Jackie: We have had all kinds of creatures roaming the neighborhood since we moved here, 5 years ago, but we have never had a tame (or almost tame) Jack rabbit until this year. His name is Jackie (original huh?) and he lives right here in our yard and the forest surround our yard. He doesn't even care if the dogs bark at him. He is on our front porch right now, I hope he doesn't expect to be fed. If he is hungry he can go to the garden and help himself to some squash, as long as he doesn't eat all of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 07:09 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,384,033 times
We live in west Little Rock with only grass and houses (and Wife's fruit trees) and we have coyote, deer, all the fruit tree robbers, rabbits, and snakes.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:18 AM

We really don't have many coyotes in NWA. Some say they have seen them and heard them. I am sure there are a few, but after living many years in NM and being raised in California, where there were a lot of them, I wonder why, I have never heard one here. We do have a lot of other creatures. I never get tired of seeing them.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:17 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,211,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
We live in west Little Rock with only grass and houses (and Wife's fruit trees) and we have coyote, deer, all the fruit tree robbers, rabbits, and snakes.

I'll match that and raise you bobcats, at least one mountain lion, a gray fox family, wild pigs, armadillos (fewer and fewer of those ), black bears, and just about everything else that goes bump in the night.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:47 AM

we don't have the bears, black or any other color, but we have both red and grey fox, and the Armadillos seem to just multiply by the side of the road or middle. Each year we see more of them, but they never seem to be moving. Someone said they say a bob cat not too long ago, yet, like the coyotes, I am not sure if that is what they saw or if they had too much to drink that day?

Old 07-03-2013, 12:24 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,690,581 times
I see at least twice that amount and the ones I see are much larger.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:09 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Many, many armadilloes. Possums. Skunks. Rabbits. Moles. But like you, Nita, I don't see many coyotes. My parents, in Missouri, see many coyotes. I see lots of deer. I've spotted a few wolves. And I've seen bear scat, though I haven't confronted any bears. (In the wild, my brother did have a pet baby bear for a while. Little thing LOVED Mountain Dew, but was very destructive.)

Old 07-03-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Many, many armadilloes. Possums. Skunks. Rabbits. Moles. But like you, Nita, I don't see many coyotes. My parents, in Missouri, see many coyotes. I see lots of deer. I've spotted a few wolves. And I've seen bear scat, though I haven't confronted any bears. (In the wild, my brother did have a pet baby bear for a while. Little thing LOVED Mountain Dew, but was very destructive.)
I think, you find coyotes more in the prairie areas without as many trees and hills. At least that has been our experience. As for skunks, that is interesting, we are always saying we see fewer skunks here than almost anyplace we have lived. We do see Possums, and coons plus ground hogs.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:53 PM

971 posts, read 1,454,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We really don't have many coyotes in NWA. Some say they have seen them and heard them. I am sure there are a few, but after living many years in NM and being raised in California, where there were a lot of them, I wonder why, I have never heard one here. We do have a lot of other creatures. I never get tired of seeing them.
When I see the title, "so much wildlife", I think of all the wild retirees in Belle Vista. LOL

Old 07-03-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
When I see the title, "so much wildlife", I think of all the wild retirees in Belle Vista. LOL
and I just knew someone would say that: you are right, but that part we try to keep to ourselves..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas