Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:48 AM

529 posts, read 1,651,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am well aware that everywhere has trade offs. If I was married and with kids, I can actually see myself liking Little Rock, but I am not at that point in my life. Most of the growth in Arkansas has been from retirees coming in (or older people wanting to get out of California), while most young people leave the state for Texas, California, or somewhere more exciting for them. That should tell you something.
Although anywhere outside of Arkansas could be more exciting I believe it has more to do with the fact that there aren't many jobs in Little Rock for young professionals. NWA on the other hand has tons of companies for young professionals. Little Rock needs the jobs to bring people in and then everything else will follow.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:56 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
I'd hate to raise my kids in a place like Little Rock... crime, schools, crime in the schools, etc.
Someone in an earlier post mentioned Portland, Maine........oh... my... goodness. Don't even try to compare LR to Portland.
That same person seemed to think Little Rock was somehow nicer than Memphis. My personal observation is that LR has all the same problems as Memphis, but without the laid-back friendly culture. Maybe they haven't spent much time in Little Rock.
Sure, everywhere has it's problems. That's to be expected when parents don't teach their children right from wrong, and that there's no absolute truths. Maybe we as a society will eventually get that again.
Oh well, I can still think of 100 places on top of my head I'd rather live.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:09 PM

837 posts, read 2,249,354 times
Quote:
could it be that I am surrounded by boring people?
What have I been saying all along?

Unfortunately, there are boring people everywhere. If you aren't willing to go out and find people who share your interests, nothing is going to change for you, no matter where you are.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:23 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
DC made a lot of well thought out points. I'm not going to touch on them all but I want to respond to a few things that stood out.

I am well aware that everywhere has trade offs. If I was married and with kids, I can actually see myself liking Little Rock, but I am not at that point in my life. Most of the growth in Arkansas has been from retirees coming in (or older people wanting to get out of California), while most young people leave the state for Texas, California, or somewhere more exciting for them. That should tell you something.

It's funny how everybody always comes up with exuses for why Little Rock has such crappy retail for a town its size. Little Rock doesn't offer a whole lot more than Fort Smith does in this area, yet its three times the population. NWA is a little better, and when national chains expand into Arkansas, they generally open in NWA first and then Little Rock. NWA was on Nordstrom's radar before the economy went to the tank. Why is this? Because NWA is filled with transplants who have a higher standard and are used to shopping at higher-end stores where they are from. Down here in Little Rock, people seem to be content with Wal-Mart. Retailers aren't going to invest somewhere there is no demand. Yes, Internet shopping works, but its a pain when you live in an apartment or you want something now.

True, but could it be that I am surrounded by boring people? Most people I am friends with are content to sit at home and watch TV and don't ever want to go out and do anything. Plus, most people by my age around here are married and punching out kids so they have different priorities in life than I do.
Bchris, I'm not married. Don't have kids. I just wish I had more time to get all the things done that I need to do.

I did go away to college, and I found out that while there were lots of exciting things to do in the city, that many of those exciting things cost exciting amounts of money. As a cash-strapped student, I found that a lot of people were content to sit at home and watch TV. And that if you want to do something, you should do it. With or without friends. You want to see a movie and none of your friends are interested, then go see it alone. You want to see a ballet, buy a ticket. Concert, opera, or ice skaters. Seize your opportunities. And you'll make new friends with people who do want to do these things. I've met dozens of people in bookstores. People who ask me about an author or a subject or a magazine that turns into conversations about a club, or a guest lecturer at a museum, or a travelogue that's coming up.

If your friends and companions aren't interesting, make new friends. But realize that if you find your friends boring, they probably think the same about you. Boring is about stagnation. It's stillness and failing to connect and immobility. It's about dwelling on the "if-only's", which is how we build excuses. If only I wasn't from Fort Smith. If only I had moved to Dallas. If only I had more interesting people to be around. Everyone is interesting when they are connecting with people. Even when you are complaining on this forum, the people who are responding to you find you and your posts interesting enough to merit comment.

I understand that you feel very limited in Arkansas. The opportunities are limited, and not only that, but it's a small world kind of place. You can quickly gain a reputation here. If you have specific issues you are interested in, special activities you like to do, you'll run into the same people over and over, you'll build a reputation, a name. People will identify you. That can be scary, especially when you are young and just starting out. Big cities give you more freedom to experiment, because there are more opportunities to experiment and because in a city where more people are also trying things out, exploring their interests, people don't associate you as strongly with the activities you engage in, and, frankly, people don't care. But if you're going to move on anyway, and you're planning on using a powerwash to remove the Arkansas red clay from your shoes, then you have that freedom to experiment right now. Because you don't care what people think. You can be weird, you can be a free-spirit, you can take any political stands you want, you can be anti-social, you can write to the newspaper, you can start a drive to improve the zoo, and you have the freedom of being whoever you wish, because you don't care right now what people think of you. You're not staying in Arkansas, as soon as you get the chance you're out of here. So why not turn the time left into an advantage? Why not use it to do some of the things you want to do?

Old 05-26-2009, 12:50 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
DC made a lot of well thought out points. I'm not going to touch on them all but I want to respond to a few things that stood out.

It's funny how everybody always comes up with exuses for why Little Rock has such crappy retail for a town its size. Little Rock doesn't offer a whole lot more than Fort Smith does in this area, yet its three times the population. NWA is a little better, and when national chains expand into Arkansas, they generally open in NWA first and then Little Rock. NWA was on Nordstrom's radar before the economy went to the tank. Why is this? Because NWA is filled with transplants who have a higher standard and are used to shopping at higher-end stores where they are from. Down here in Little Rock, people seem to be content with Wal-Mart. Retailers aren't going to invest somewhere there is no demand. Yes, Internet shopping works, but its a pain when you live in an apartment or you want something now.

True, but could it be that I am surrounded by boring people? Most people I am friends with are content to sit at home and watch TV and don't ever want to go out and do anything. Plus, most people by my age around here are married and punching out kids so they have different priorities in life than I do.
Is it really that hard to find people like you here in AR?

Maybe I'm not old enough to realize all of this....
I can have a pretty busy social life if I wanted to have one. I'm just content to mostly spending my time with my girlfriend.

Did you ever try that suggestion with the independent retailers about them carrying a certain brand?
I think if you tell them you're willing to spend a substantial amount of money in their store every month if they carry x, they just might.
At the same time, you'd probably be better off internet shopping even though that doesn't support the local economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Bchris, I'm not married. Don't have kids. I just wish I had more time to get all the things done that I need to do.

I did go away to college, and I found out that while there were lots of exciting things to do in the city, that many of those exciting things cost exciting amounts of money. As a cash-strapped student, I found that a lot of people were content to sit at home and watch TV. And that if you want to do something, you should do it. With or without friends. You want to see a movie and none of your friends are interested, then go see it alone. You want to see a ballet, buy a ticket. Concert, opera, or ice skaters. Seize your opportunities. And you'll make new friends with people who do want to do these things. I've met dozens of people in bookstores. People who ask me about an author or a subject or a magazine that turns into conversations about a club, or a guest lecturer at a museum, or a travelogue that's coming up.
I second this.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:50 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

That's not been my experience. When I had extended stays in New York, most famously expensive city in North America, I found that the city was brimming with things to do that didn't cost money that(here's the key) appealed to me. There are a lot of very cheap small venues that have good music, for example. And you never know, some band you're sitting in a room watching with ten other people may one day be recognized for starting a cultural movement. That's the advantage of being in a place that's always on the cultural vanguard. Tons of cafes.

But I do think it's true that if you are stuck somewhere, the best bet is to find like minded people. My time here would be going by so much more slowly had I not met people who liked the same things I like, as few far and inbetween as we are. Then I realized that Detroit has an art scene that, while it doesn't compare to the big 3-5, is still active enough to enjoy for a stint.

Make no mistake, this doesn't mean my opinion on the area has changed greatly. It's still vapid and aethetically displeasing to me, and I would never on Earth leave and have homesickness(I know because I've been other places, and if anything they make me resent it here even more). This just means that the time until I am liberated of this place will go by all the faster.

I think Chris should do the same, but I don't think this negates the validity of his points. Sure every city has problems, but not every city has them in the same proportions to benefits and not every city has problems that some may want to deal with versus problems that are tolerable. And every city has something for everyone, but not ever city has that something in a quality to satisfy that person.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:06 PM

837 posts, read 2,249,354 times
DC is making some great points. Thanks, DC.

I just want to address one more thing.

Quote:
Down here in Little Rock, people seem to be content with Wal-Mart.
I think it's statements like this that get people so frustrated. Just because there's no Saks in Little Rock doesn't mean everyone shops at Wal-Mart. I personally can't remember the last time I was in one. (I'm a Target girl myself. ) I will grant you the dearth of good department stores, but there are plenty of fabulous local boutiques which carry designer labels, as well as most of your usual national mall stores. Of course I'd like more stores; I love to shop! And I think they will come. Hey, we finally got a Sephora! But to say it's all about Wal-Mart here is wrong.

It's the same type of statement as "everyone in Little Rock hangs out at Chili's or church." No, they don't. Not even close. Your boring friends hang out at Chili's and church.

I realize this is hyperbole, and you are venting your frustrations. But people come to these forums looking for facts. And your posts often misrepresent this city and this state in a rather unfair way.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:24 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,910,487 times
This thread is closed for moderator review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas